Poll

The title of the thread says it all.  What would you; the reader, like to see happen to the little rat?

Rudolph should confess or be convicted, then sentenced to 25 to life and disappear from the series.
5 (19.2%)
Rudolph should beat the rap, so that his real punishment can be something far worse. (Which might involve some of the other scenarios.)
5 (19.2%)
Rudolph should ask for forgiveness and find redemption, perhaps becoming a KotC.
3 (11.5%)
Rudolph should take up one of the Blackened Denarii, in an attempt to get even with Harry who he blames for everything..
3 (11.5%)
Rudolph should die, but in some odd, seemingly random, but probably not accidental, Final Destination manner, as a way of balancing the scales.
3 (11.5%)
Rudolph works with the Librarians after losing his CPD job.  As an asset; someone they get information out of, and maybe work with in the field, though not an actual member.  Then something really bad happens to him.
1 (3.8%)
Rudolph should - Fill in the blank.  Whatever you think should happen.
6 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: August 07, 2021, 08:01:55 PM

Author Topic: What should happen to Rudolph?  (Read 8942 times)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: What should happen to Rudolph?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2021, 08:42:35 PM »
Rudolph wasn’t saved for his benefit, but for Harry’s, to prevent Harry from becoming a murdering monster over such an inconsequential piece of crap. Harry is important, Rudolph isn’t.

Harry has already murdered people who deserve it before without the literal forces of heaven stepping in though.

More likely Jim wanted to keep Rudolph around being a piece of crap that fucks Harry over without consequence for a bit longer.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2021, 09:01:40 PM »
Rudolph wasn’t saved for his benefit, but for Harry’s, to prevent Harry from becoming a murdering monster over such an inconsequential piece of crap. Harry is important, Rudolph isn’t.
Rudolf was saved because killing him would be an evil act. It doesn't become less evil because someone else does it.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2021, 11:26:40 PM »
Molly has always had her own ideas, that is why her slide into warlockhood is so hard to check.  To begin with she thought she was doing right by her friends when she messed with their heads, causing lots of damage in the process.  Then in Turncoat she was back at it again in an effort to help Harry, though it could have cost them both their heads.  Thus if she thinks she is helping Harry by offing Rudolph in some way or making him insane for the duration, she will do it.

What happened with Luccio wasn't backtracking. She had no intention of rearranging her mind like she did with her friends. It's just that the council takes a hard line on anything to do with the mind.

What she did in Harry's absence because he was dead, that is a different story. She did what she did to help her city, but did it because she didn't care if she die. It was her self punishment for assisting in the man she loves death.

Now that he's back, she has been trying to live and act right.

It's not in her character anymore to kill Rudolph.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2021, 05:21:33 AM »
Harry finds out that Rudolph's actions weren't entirely his own, and if he had killed him, it would have been murder, and not justice.  That's one of the reasons if not the main reason the KoTC were there.  To save Rudolph, and Dresden.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2021, 07:47:42 AM »
In universe, it is not ok to kill Rudolph. But as readers of a fiction work, we can suggest things that happen in tbe books that we wouldn't advocate IRL. For instance, killing Rudolph with extreme prejudice.
In universe, it shouldn't happen, for several reasons, one of those is Rudolph did not want to kill Karrin, it was an accident (or divine intervention).
But we are allowed to hate a character.  I see it a little like many years ago when a lot of Star Trek fans wanted to will Wesley Crusher
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline JTass

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2021, 09:30:22 PM »
Came across this posted on the dresdenfiles reddit, so credit goes to the original poster:

"Rudolph should get sent back in time to get slaughtered by the loup garou."

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2021, 10:36:53 PM »
In universe, it is not ok to kill Rudolph. But as readers of a fiction work, we can suggest things that happen in tbe books that we wouldn't advocate IRL. For instance, killing Rudolph with extreme prejudice.
In universe, it shouldn't happen, for several reasons, one of those is Rudolph did not want to kill Karrin, it was an accident (or divine intervention).
But we are allowed to hate a character.  I see it a little like many years ago when a lot of Star Trek fans wanted to will Wesley Crusher
Yeah people don't seem to have a problem hating.  I try to avoid it myself and not being a saint, mostly I fail :'(. Having said that I tried to come up with an alternative measure which didn't involve murder.

Since everyone here loves time travel so much, here's one.  Go back and arrange things so that Rudolf is never born, and thus a timeline where Murphy doesn't die. A morning after pill in Mama's coffee would do it.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2021, 12:05:53 AM »
IRL, I believe I only managed to hate 2 people, and one of them I've never met. But in fiction? I hate several characters :-). Even so, sometimes I forgive them after a while (or a redemption arc). Draco Malfoy, for instance, or Dudley. Not their parents.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2021, 11:12:05 AM »
Yeah people don't seem to have a problem hating.  I try to avoid it myself and not being a saint, mostly I fail :'(. Having said that I tried to come up with an alternative measure which didn't involve murder.

Since everyone here loves time travel so much, here's one.  Go back and arrange things so that Rudolf is never born, and thus a timeline where Murphy doesn't die. A morning after pill in Mama's coffee would do it.

Yeah, but be careful for what you wish for, in the alternate timeline, Justin succeeds in enthralling  Elaine..  Murphy's marriage to her first husband is a success and she retires from the police force to care for her six kids.  Michael is killed fighting that dragon and Charity goes on not only to be a powerful warlock, but to host Namshiel's coin as well.  Margaret does die in childbirth, but giving birth to Thomas, and Harry is never born..  So be careful for what you wish for, you might get it..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2021, 01:18:05 PM »
Harry has already murdered people who deserve it before without the literal forces of heaven stepping in though.
Not like this. Not a completely helpless man killed with magic by an emotional Harry who completely lost it.

Most others were killed in combat. Susan was because of her self sacrifice as Michael pointed out and Slate was also different.

More likely Jim wanted to keep Rudolph around being a piece of crap that fucks Harry over without consequence for a bit longer.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2021, 04:14:26 PM »
Not like this. Not a completely helpless man killed with magic by an emotional Harry who completely lost it.

Even if Harry didn't use magic to kill him, he had so totally lost it, he was ready to throttle him with him bare hands.  Actually I am not sure he was going to use magic to do it, if he was, I don't think the Knights would have been quick enough to stop him.   I guess Harry possibly could have been forgive had he done it, Murphy's death rendered him insane for a few moments.  However I doubt given his reaction once he came to his senses, that Harry would ever have been able to forgive himself.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2021, 04:18:23 PM »
Even if Harry didn't use magic to kill him, he had so totally lost it, he was ready to throttle him with him bare hands.  Actually I am not sure he was going to use magic to do it, if he was, I don't think the Knights would have been quick enough to stop him.   I guess Harry possibly could have been forgive had he done it, Murphy's death rendered him insane for a few moments.  However I doubt given his reaction once he came to his senses, that Harry would ever have been able to forgive himself.
The knights would have time. Harry was not going to do it fast.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2021, 08:25:10 PM »

I never liked Westly. I just wanted him to go away. He eventually did by going to Starfleet Academy and making some poor choices. Rudolph, I would like to see him pay for all the bad he has done.

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2021, 08:30:07 PM »
Harry could arrange a horrible fate for Rudolph without touching him. For example let Rudolph chase after Harry to arrest him. Harry opens a way to the Nevernever, Rudolph follows. Harry then eludes Rudolph and departs, and lets Rudolph deal with goblins, trolls, for example.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 08:31:41 PM by Gman »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2021, 08:57:49 PM »
The knights would have time. Harry was not going to do it fast.

But what if he didn't?  Just a word and Rudolph would have been a burnt grease spot..