Poll

The title of the thread says it all.  What would you; the reader, like to see happen to the little rat?

Rudolph should confess or be convicted, then sentenced to 25 to life and disappear from the series.
5 (19.2%)
Rudolph should beat the rap, so that his real punishment can be something far worse. (Which might involve some of the other scenarios.)
5 (19.2%)
Rudolph should ask for forgiveness and find redemption, perhaps becoming a KotC.
3 (11.5%)
Rudolph should take up one of the Blackened Denarii, in an attempt to get even with Harry who he blames for everything..
3 (11.5%)
Rudolph should die, but in some odd, seemingly random, but probably not accidental, Final Destination manner, as a way of balancing the scales.
3 (11.5%)
Rudolph works with the Librarians after losing his CPD job.  As an asset; someone they get information out of, and maybe work with in the field, though not an actual member.  Then something really bad happens to him.
1 (3.8%)
Rudolph should - Fill in the blank.  Whatever you think should happen.
6 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: August 07, 2021, 08:01:55 PM

Author Topic: What should happen to Rudolph?  (Read 8940 times)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
What should happen to Rudolph?
« on: April 09, 2021, 08:01:55 PM »
Nothing much to say here.  I don't know that I care what happens to Rudolph.  I wouldn't mind if someone like Lea decided that because a Winter ally had been killed and that death was a blow to the person she is still obligated to look after, sort of, that a balancing of the scales was called for and something swift, nasty and Final Destination like happened to Rudolph.  However, I suspect Jim has something else in mind.  If you want to guess what that may be, rather than what you would like to see happen, go for it.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: What should happen to Rudolph?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 12:47:15 AM »
Honestly that post about how Rudolph probably got absolutely mauled by the Nightmare offscreen and that caused his 180 sold me on the idea of a potential Rudolph redemption arc, not as a kotc though.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 01:14:52 AM »
Could you link to that post? It sounds interesting

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 03:34:17 AM »
What's weird about him is that he appears to think the supernatural is totally fake, to the point of total denial even when it's right in front of him, but was working for the Eebs.  So there may be more to it like his mind has been destroyed by having his mind invaded. 

On one hand you want to see him suffer badly for what he did.  On the other hand, he genuinely thought that Murphy and Dresden were doing crazy stuff.  he couldn't accept what was happening, and basically was detached from reality.  He wasn't trying to do something bad, he was just totally losing his shit.

So I really don't know what I want to see happen lol.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 06:07:44 AM »
What's weird about him is that he appears to think the supernatural is totally fake, to the point of total denial even when it's right in front of him, but was working for the Eebs.  So there may be more to it like his mind has been destroyed by having his mind invaded. 

On one hand you want to see him suffer badly for what he did.  On the other hand, he genuinely thought that Murphy and Dresden were doing crazy stuff.  he couldn't accept what was happening, and basically was detached from reality.  He wasn't trying to do something bad, he was just totally losing his shit.

I think Murphys  family will find out what Rudolph did. They are cops. She has police friends who are cops. I think Rudolph will have bad things happen to him if he is not charged and convicted of killing Murphy.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 11:39:25 AM »

I totally agree, the man is sick, unless he gets treatment somewhere it will become evident that he is sick by his department.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 12:39:13 PM »
  I think Murphys  family will find out what Rudolph did. They are cops. She has police friends who are cops. I think Rudolph will have bad things happen to him if he is not charged and convicted of killing Murphy.

Problem with this is only four people know what happened. Harry, in the eyes of most of the police department is a nut case. Butters, a man who did a stint in an insane asylum. Sanya, a Russian who no one knows but has used guns to kill former human agents. And Rudolph, who is a part of the agency and who other cops would believe over the other three if he's in any state of mind to keep his standing.

There's no body to say anything different.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 12:22:32 AM »
Problem with this is only four people know what happened. Harry, in the eyes of most of the police department is a nut case. Butters, a man who did a stint in an insane asylum. Sanya, a Russian who no one knows but has used guns to kill former human agents. And Rudolph, who is a part of the agency and who other cops would believe over the other three if he's in any state of mind to keep his standing.

There's no body to say anything different.

It could very well work out that way.  If it does, it would suggest to me that Rudolph will eventually face a different and far more messy reckoning.

Groucho Marx

Offline LaraBeck

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 12:37:39 AM »

There's no body, how could anyone make an accusation? I doubt Rudolph would face any consequences under the law.

About the cops in Murph's family doing something about it, maybe, but with the battle being as big as it was, probably most of the members of the family that were serving were on duty that night. Maybe many of them died too. Same for her friends in the police.

I think option 2 is the best.

And I wouldn't care if he finds real regret and healing and gets some redemption. Something really f**ked him over for him to go from defending Murphy from Dresden to hating them both so much. But making him a KoC would be a bit too much for me.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 12:44:17 AM by LaraBeck »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 05:33:39 AM »

Guess it depends on what things are like after BG...  I mean things won't go back to normal after an incursion like that.  Rudolph's action could be lost in the chaos of it all so that her family just assumes she was a casualty of the incursion. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 02:15:51 AM »
I like the idea of EinherKarrin coming back early for the BAT and either beating the shit out of him or telling the other cops he murdered her. I also like the idea of him being Skavis food.

I suspect, though, he's just going to beat the rap and try to press charges on Harry for trying to kill him, as well as causing further trouble from within the legal system.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 10:55:08 PM »
There's no body, how could anyone make an accusation? I doubt Rudolph would face any consequences under the law.

About the cops in Murph's family doing something about it, maybe, but with the battle being as big as it was, probably most of the members of the family that were serving were on duty that night. Maybe many of them died too. Same for her friends in the police.

I think option 2 is the best.

And I wouldn't care if he finds real regret and healing and gets some redemption. Something really f**ked him over for him to go from defending Murphy from Dresden to hating them both so much. But making him a KoC would be a bit too much for me.

Rudolph could always confess.  Not that I believe it's likely to happen, but we have no clue where Jim is going to take this character.  Rudolph could have a redemption arc, though I also don't like the idea of him becoming the KotC, but there could be other ways that Rudolph could seek to redeem himself.  I've also thought that Rudolph could simply go insane, though if he does stick around for a while, I now favor Nicodemus giving him a coin. 

Groucho Marx

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 11:58:06 PM »
Yes, I think Rudolph should have to ask for forgiveness and it will act as a device to allow Harry to get better himself. When he is able to forgive Rudolph, he will level up and probably get some advantage against the Mantle trying to taint him.
Rudolph will probably have some sort of redeeming arc but I don't see him as very important besides of becoming a tool for Dresden's improvement.
I definitely won't see him as a KotC.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline JTass

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 05:44:07 PM »
My WAG:
Rudolph will beat the rap, Harry will go vigilante on his ass, thus bringing him into conflict with the White Council.