Author Topic: Recurring mysterious villains  (Read 1290 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Recurring mysterious villains
« on: April 06, 2021, 07:03:47 AM »
There are some "big bad's" in the books.  Nemesis, He Who Walks Behind, Drakul, ect....  Who I wanted to discuss though is the lower level bad's who appear to be some big players in the books.  More than that, their motivations are somewhat mysterious.

Cowl & Kumori.  They have been around since some of the earliest books, and I think maybe the most mysterious of them all.  Cowl and Kumori are known only by their cloaked forms.  Their motivations are also pretty mysterious.  Cowl was willing to perform a Dark Hallow, and likely Nemfected Leah purposely, and yet Kumori talked as though they were part of some greater good, and she even saved some people's lives.  I suspect that Kumori is another Starborn, and that is why Cowl is working with her.  What are their motivations???  What is their end goal?

Nicodemus:  He appears as another pure villain, and yet his daughter in a single sentence made things murky.  She said they were going to save the world.  So he may not be cloaked like Cowl, but his motivations may be just as hidden.  What exactly is he planning on doing?  What are his goals?

Mavra:  Her motivations seem simple.  She's a Black Court vampire allied with Drakul.  However I suspect there is more to her.  She's been around since really early on.  I think she will be more than just a Drakul follower.  I think she has her own goals, and that the Book of Kemmler is part of it.  She also attempted to make her own nest of Bamp's (who Michael destroyed).  Drakul doesn't appear to like Bamps making greater numbers.  He likes to have a small, elite group of vampires.  Mavra starting her own nest seems to go against what Drakul would want.

Listen:  He was in Ghost Story, Bombshells's, and Battle Ground.  He hasn't stood out as much to me, but the fact that he's a Starborn, and has been in more than one book makes me wonder if he has a bigger role to the books.  He also *might* have betrayed a Titan.  So wondering where he fits in the story.

These are the main villains that I can think of that aren't Drakul/Mab level power, but appear to be big players in the books when it comes to how things turn out.  Please list characters that I haven't listed that you feel are like this.  I'm curious as to what their motivations are, and what you think they are up to.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 07:06:08 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Recurring mysterious villains
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 07:21:11 AM »
Shagnasty:  I don't know if It's motivations are simple or not.  I'd like to think there was more to It's motivations.  All I know is that It's a nasty character, and that Thomas has some unfinished business with It. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 07:21:31 AM »
Mmmm,
Cowl/kimori- depends on who they end up being I suppose. Taking them as future/alt versions of people would complicate the matter while streamlining the answer, they wish to change things.
As the ever popular (to me anyway) Justin and Elaine idea, they would be seeking to change or manipulate the outcome of events.
Either way Jives with cowls comment that he doesn't 'see' nobody taking the dark hallow, I think he was being literal and working off of some kind of foresight. He couldn't SEE it not happening. What Harry did in the moment was an act of pure will, an overture of fate, though I think he really only pushed the dark hallow back instead(more significant events in the timeline having more momentum behind them and all that)
Nico, wants power. He might also think he's saving the world, but bottom line he's in it for what he thinks he can get out of the new status quo. Likely Godhood.
Mavra... I think wants to be human again (queue beauty and the beast song) and the dark hallow might actually allow her to achieve this. She runs on antilife, uses magic that's not of creation, but what happens if she devours a bunch of creation magic?
Listen I really haven't put alot of thought into. So I'd anyone else has...
Oooh the genoska would be one? Or is that just the mystery of how he came back not what he wants? Still, wanna know if he came back with or without the coin in tow..
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 07:38:49 AM by The_Sibelis »

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 09:29:14 AM »
What's even more interesting is any and indeed all of them could be Black Council candidates.

I also would add He Who Walks Behind, and technically Lara...

And you forgot Marcone. He has been around since Book 1 - clearly the final villain in some ways. I think he and Harry won't have their final throw down until the Grand Finale.

Both Lara and Marcone more fit into a category of "frenemies" that will likely end up fighting Dresden right at the end. And there are characters who remain a little sus despite their continual push to appear as being not bad guys per se - like Mab. Not to mention how Ebenezer, the Merlin, Christos and even Vadderung appear dodgy at times.