Author Topic: Someone playing with Harry's mind?  (Read 2506 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Someone playing with Harry's mind?
« on: February 19, 2021, 06:34:23 PM »
This may just be a plot hole in the story but Harry feels he must wait for LTW to learn about being a Starborn, and the Stars and Stones.....  However between Bob, Bonnie, and DemonReach he has access to more knowledge than....  Well just about anyone.  Bonnie doesn't really understand the importance of knowledge, but she does have access to it.  If Harry simply said something like "Bonnie, could you tell me everything you know about what a Starborn is"?  I think that would be a specific enough question that she could probably deliver him an accurate answer.

The Stars and Stones might be more difficult because she'd get confused and start talking about actual stars, and stones, but if worded properly she could probably figure it out.

Also I'd imagine Bob has some information on it also, or something on the Island...  Like the Titan who he now has under his will...

So it could be a plot hole, but I wonder if someone has put a mental block on him.  He can ask people but the idea of asking someone like Bonnie, is blocked from his mind..  Maybe even by his inner self which seems to have a mind of it's own.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Someone playing with Harry's mind?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 07:03:17 PM »

He may have asked them by now, but at the time he was pretty busy to ask the three mentioned that question.  Also until Eb made a big thing out of it in Peace Talks I doubt that Harry thought it was little more than a vulgarity of the supernatural world, equal maybe to saying, "oh shit.."  Maybe a little worse but on that level.  So he'd have no reason to ask, he hasn't had time either to get into a conversation with Bob about being a starborn, or any of that.  Bob, I think would be of most help, at least Harry can hold a conversation with him.  Bonny might know, but she is too young and has little experience with anything, example she thought milk was alive because it moved.  Alfred might know, but he might be limited in what information he can give out, or it might be so complicated that Harry might have a hard time understanding him or asking the right questions, as in Alfred is a literal  guy, Harry has a hard time with that.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 09:47:49 PM »
Basically, everyone is playing with Harry’s mind, every evil monster in creation, and worse, Mister, who is a cat.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 04:56:13 AM »
Basically, everyone is playing with Harry’s mind, every evil monster in creation, and worse, Mister, who is a cat.

Naw, cats are above that kind of thing...

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 09:57:06 PM »
This may just be a plot hole in the story but Harry feels he must wait for LTW to learn about being a Starborn, and the Stars and Stones.....  However between Bob, Bonnie, and DemonReach he has access to more knowledge than....  Well just about anyone.  Bonnie doesn't really understand the importance of knowledge, but she does have access to it.  If Harry simply said something like "Bonnie, could you tell me everything you know about what a Starborn is"?  I think that would be a specific enough question that she could probably deliver him an accurate answer.

The Stars and Stones might be more difficult because she'd get confused and start talking about actual stars, and stones, but if worded properly she could probably figure it out.

Also I'd imagine Bob has some information on it also, or something on the Island...  Like the Titan who he now has under his will...

So it could be a plot hole, but I wonder if someone has put a mental block on him.  He can ask people but the idea of asking someone like Bonnie, is blocked from his mind..  Maybe even by his inner self which seems to have a mind of it's own.

The problem with this theory is that any being with quasi-symmetrical lumps of adipose tissue that are sternally mounted mess with Harry's mind. He even ended meeting Mab by checking out her derriere.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 10:12:18 PM »
The problem with this theory is that any being with quasi-symmetrical lumps of adipose tissue that are sternally mounted mess with Harry's mind. He even ended meeting Mab by checking out her derriere.

It's called being a guy... ::)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 03:37:17 AM »
Nothing really unusual here. It's pretty much Harry's standard MO to ignore something until he has no choice because it's about to murder his face in the face.

LTW, simply by giving him an option other than "actually looking into this very important thing" virtually ensured that he wouldn't.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 06:39:41 PM »
Also until Eb made a big thing out of it in Peace Talks I doubt that Harry thought it was little more than a vulgarity of the supernatural world, equal maybe to saying, "oh shit.."
I think it's implied that Harry has asked Eb, but Eb refused to explain. Eb and Harry reference previous conversations about it in PT (I think it was PT. Might have been earlier in BG).

Maybe a little worse but on that level.  So he'd have no reason to ask, he hasn't had time either to get into a conversation with Bob about being a starborn, or any of that.
But he's been called Starborn for several books now. He's had plenty of time to ask.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 07:08:40 PM »
But he's been called Starborn for several books now. He's had plenty of time to ask.

But he hasn't been around Bob, has he?  Between Changes and Cold Days he was mostly dead.  Though he was around Bob in Ghost Story, Harry thought he was dead and had other things on his mind.  Cold Days he borrowed Bob to translate matters with Alfred and that didn't end well.  In Skin Game Bob was convinced along with Butters that Harry was bad, they really didn't talk...  Not a heck of a lot of time to talk about the significance of star born status during the last two books either.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 08:36:43 PM »
The first time anything is mentioned about it is when HWWBehind calls him "Child of the Stars" in their fight at the gas station. But let's ignore that one until Ghost Story where Harry walks down memory lane because he tells us he didn't remember it as clearly as he does in GS. The next mention of it is Lash talking about the circumstances of his birth. I think she more defines starborn instead of using the word. Harry has plenty of time to ask Bob, Bonnie, and Alfred about all of these. He had a really long time to ask Bob about what Lash said in White Night. He spent a few hours on the boat with Bob in CD. He wasn't alone, so maybe that's why he didn't. He probably had enough time to ask him about it walking down the stairs on Demonreach. He's definitely had enough time to ask Bonnie. He might not have had enough time to get a coherent or useful answer out of Bonnie.

Maybe he hasn't made it a priority.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 09:56:14 PM »
The first time anything is mentioned about it is when HWWBehind calls him "Child of the Stars" in their fight at the gas station. But let's ignore that one until Ghost Story where Harry walks down memory lane because he tells us he didn't remember it as clearly as he does in GS. The next mention of it is Lash talking about the circumstances of his birth. I think she more defines starborn instead of using the word. Harry has plenty of time to ask Bob, Bonnie, and Alfred about all of these. He had a really long time to ask Bob about what Lash said in White Night. He spent a few hours on the boat with Bob in CD. He wasn't alone, so maybe that's why he didn't. He probably had enough time to ask him about it walking down the stairs on Demonreach. He's definitely had enough time to ask Bonnie. He might not have had enough time to get a coherent or useful answer out of Bonnie.

Maybe he hasn't made it a priority.

Or it isn't something you ask in passing.. Or perhaps there is a reason he doesn't know, it is often for the best.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2021, 11:48:40 PM »
One of the things I find most irritating about higher education is that each discipline maintains its own jargon like a foreign language; and if you don't ask the question the right way, you may not get the answer you're looking for- in this instance; if Harry asks Bob about the Stars and Stones he might get an answer, but only a dumb look if he asked about Starborn- especially if that was "Kemmler knowledge."

Similarly, Bonea might start defining terms- she isn't sophisticated enough to utilize disambiguation.

Demonrreach has an odd consciousness.
"Demonrreach, what is a starborn?"
"YOU ARE STARBORN, WARDEN."
"What does that mean?"
"IT MEANS YOU ARE AN ADEQUATE WARDEN."

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2021, 11:52:39 PM »
One of the things I find most irritating about higher education is that each discipline maintains its own jargon like a foreign language; and if you don't ask the question the right way, you may not get the answer you're looking for- in this instance; if Harry asks Bob about the Stars and Stones he might get an answer, but only a dumb look if he asked about Starborn- especially if that was "Kemmler knowledge."

Similarly, Bonea might start defining terms- she isn't sophisticated enough to utilize disambiguation.

Demonrreach has an odd consciousness.
"Demonrreach, what is a starborn?"
"YOU ARE STARBORN, WARDEN."
"What does that mean?"
"IT MEANS YOU ARE AN ADEQUATE WARDEN."

What is a starborn?

"IT IS FOR ME TO KNOW, AND YOU TO ASK, WARDEN."