Author Topic: Thomas's cure: Bonea or Lhea?  (Read 5240 times)

Offline ZhonLord

• Participant
    • View Profile
Thomas's cure: Bonea or Lhea?
« on: February 27, 2021, 10:44:15 AM »
Which of the two extremely knowledgeable beings Harry has influence with, do you guys think is more likely to know a cure for Thomas's vampirism (or at least getting his Hunger to back off and restore the guy's sanity/soul)?

On the one hand you have Lheanadsidhe, Harry's Godmother who's still got obligations from Margaret to look after him. She suppressed the Hungers of Susan and Martin back during Changes, allowing them to rest and be genuinely human for a time, so she knows at least SOME weakness in the Hunger that a Winter being can exploit.  Might well be the key if she can be persuaded to bargain with it.

On the other hand you have Bonnie, a very young spirit of knowledge who contains more information in one eye socket than Bob's ever known. The combined memories and knowledge of Harry Dresden, the most active and deep-reaching wizard in generations, combined with at least a fragment of a Fallen Angel - possibly all the things she knew at the time of imprinting on Harry.  SOMETHING in that wooden skull of hers has to be helpful right?

What are your guys' thoughts?

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas's cure: Bonea or Lhea?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 05:09:00 PM »
Mab, for Thomas will become the new Winter Knight when Harry loses it
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 06:42:06 PM »
Harry is notoriously poorly trained for a wizard, What Bonea got from him was a lot of geek and pop culture. Lea’s Sidhe, she gives nothing away for free. Now if Thomas had something to trade, like a child that would be another matter.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 06:53:51 PM »
Harry is notoriously poorly trained for a wizard, What Bonea got from him was a lot of geek and pop culture. Lea’s Sidhe, she gives nothing away for free. Now if Thomas had something to trade, like a child that would be another matter.

I doubt that Lea could heal him anyway,  what she did for Susan was temporary if I remember correctly because Harry got all excited when she did it, and asked her about it.   

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 11:09:27 PM »
I doubt that Lea could heal him anyway,  what she did for Susan was temporary if I remember correctly because Harry got all excited when she did it, and asked her about it.

True, it was temporary, but perhaps all Thomas needs is temporary relief from his Hunger so he can build up enough strength to feed it normally again. If so then he'll back to being a "normal" White Court vampire instead of one in a death spiral.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 01:56:33 AM »

First I disagree with Harry bein poorly trained.  He's a very capable wizard, it's just he lacks some of the finesse required for some magic, but the raw knowledge is there.  He's also distracted for some reason.  Like his mind picks up on things that he doesn't seem to notice...  The woman who had a Coin for example. 

I think that in Mirror Mirror we're going to see a Dresen who really unleashes his inner self.  The self that craves power, and willing to obtain it...  Get a real idea of how bad ass of a Wizard he really can be.

Anyways it's not Harry who's super important for Bonea, it's the Fallen who provided all that knowledge.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 02:00:43 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 02:01:43 AM »
Mab, for Thomas will become the new Winter Knight when Harry loses it

Only thing I see working is the Holy Saber..  It can kill the demon without harming the mortal.  Also I don't think Thomas becomes a Winter Knight.  Either a KOTC, or Summer Knight which could could create some problems for Dresden as Winter Knight
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 02:32:05 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 02:22:18 AM »
DuMorne was only interested in using Harry as a weapon, Ebenezer in seeing that Harry wasn’t another Warlock. One of the charges levelled against Harry by the White Council was the unconventional nature of his apprenticeship and assumption of Wizard status. Harry admits himself in BG Carlos is much more technically accomplished than him, but Carlos had a longer and presumably more thorough apprenticeship.

Therefore the facts would appear to show Harry is indeed notoriously poorly trained for a Wizard, but a Wizard isn’t his only role, he is a Starborn, and I suspect there is no training for that. He is the Warden of Demonreach and there is no one to teach him that other than Alfred, and he seems to have learnt all about Demonreach and it’s capabilities and he did just solo a Titan so his training there looked complete. He is also a PI, and Nick Angel appears to have done a great job there, and as a father, well Harry is still learning, but his tutor is Michael Carpenter so he is learning from the best.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 03:41:21 AM »
Fidelacchius. Butters hit Sanya with the sword and it did nothing. Then there was a long-winded explanation of how it is more effective against the supernatural. The sword can kill Thomas' demon and not Thomas.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 04:00:34 AM »
Therefore the facts would appear to show Harry is indeed notoriously poorly trained for a Wizard
Poorly trained for what? What exactly is important in a wizards training?

Offline ZhonLord

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 01:03:54 PM »
Poorly trained for what? What exactly is important in a wizards training?
Knowledge, particularly knowledge of spells and potions as well as what is effective vs ineffective against various supernatural beings.  And in that regard, Harry had one of the best teachers of all.

Bob taught him the spells to enforce his duster, the spells he uses in investigation, ALL the potions he's ever used, every bit of supernatural knowledge and lore, etc. etc.  And everything Harry ever learned from Bob was for a practical purpose in one form or another, which means he learned it well and it stuck with him because he had uses for each and every bit of knowledge.

It's true that by the standards of other Wizards Harry is very lacking in overall wizardly knowledge.  But he has cherry-picked the most useful pieces and made them his own thanks to an extremely helpful skull.  He is NOT poorly trained as a wizard any more.

Lea said that she put their Hungers to sleep, in response to his question.  she didn't explain how she did so or what her magic targeted in order to accomplish that. Harry WOULD have to offer something in return for the knowledge, but it would be a better starting point than his current start of "zippedy doo da".

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 01:53:24 PM »
My vote is on the whosit in the cell teaching Thomas how to silence his demon. I also suspect that Margaret knew how and it was that knowledge that made her curse work

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 04:15:46 PM »
Lea said that she put their Hungers to sleep, in response to his question.  she didn't explain how she did so or what her magic targeted in order to accomplish that. Harry WOULD have to offer something in return for the knowledge, but it would be a better starting point than his current start of "zippedy doo da".

It wasn't zippedy doo da on Harry's part, if you'll remember he drove himself into exhaustion and clinical depression trying to find a cure for Susan.  He also drove Bob crazy trying to find a cure, so if Lea could have provided one, he would have traded his soul for it in my opinion.  Harry was shocked that Lea could do it if I remember correctly but I also seem to remember her saying it wasn't a cure.  Also you are dealing with two different things, in the case of Thomas, the possession of an actual demon, in the case of Susan it was more of an infection.

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 06:10:41 PM »
Lea offered to show him how she did it.  Harry turned her down:

“I lulled their predator spirit to sleep,” she said calmly. “Poor lambs. They didn’t realize how much strength they drew from it. Mayhap this will prove a useful lesson.”
I frowned at that. “You mean . . . the vampire part of them?”
 “Of course.”
I sat there for a moment, stunned. If the vampire infection within half vampires like Susan and Martin could be enchanted to sleep, then it was presumably possible to do other things to it as well. Suppress it, maybe permanently.
It might even be possible to destroy it.
I felt a door in my mind open upon a hope I had shut away a long time ago.
Maybe I could save them both.
“I . . .” I shook my head. “I searched for a way to . . . I spent more than a . . .”
I shook my head harder. “I spent more than a year trying to find a way to . . .” I looked at my godmother. “How? How did you do it?”
She looked back at me, her lips curled into something that wasn’t precisely a smile. “Oh, sweet child. Information of that sort is treasure indeed. What have you to trade for such a precious gem of knowledge?”
 I clenched my teeth. “It’s always about bargains with you, isn’t it.”
“Of course, child. But I always live up to my end. Hence, my protection of you.”
 “Protection?” I demanded. “You spent most of a couple of decades trying to turn me into a dog!”
“Only when you strayed out of the mortal world,” she said, as if baffled at why I would be upset. “Child, we had a bargain. And you had not willingly provided your portion of it.” She smiled widely at Mouse. “And dogs are so charming.”
Mouse watched her with calm, wary eyes, his body motionless. I frowned. “But . . . you sold my debt to Mab.”
“Precisely. At an excellent price, I might add. So now, all that remains twixt thou and I is your mother’s bargain. Unless you would prefer to enter another compact, of course . . .”
I shuddered. “No, thank you.”

Butcher, Jim. Changes (The Dresden Files, Book 12) (pp. 135-136). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 08:31:47 PM »
Lea offered to show him how she did it.  Harry turned her down:

Ah, but here in lies the rub, showing him how she did it, doesn't mean it would be or could be a cure.
That is why one doesn't bargain with the Fae..  No, she isn't lying exactly but at the same time she isn't telling him everything.  So Harry sells his soul to her, she shows him how to do it, but it only lasts for an hour or two..  Then things go back to what they were..  Lea has his soul, but Harry has nothing all that useful.