Author Topic: Why Harry has Conjuritus as an Adult  (Read 5735 times)

Online Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Why Harry has Conjuritus as an Adult
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 08:15:09 PM »
Without a doubt dropping an anvil on someone's head was on Jim's writing bucket list.

Certainly  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 07:56:28 AM »
Probably because if they did a Warden would show up to cut their head off for breaking the First Law.

But you would think it would be something all the Wardens learn as part of their combat training. It wouldn't be your main offense, but it a nice surprise trick. And Harry took out a Black Court Elder with it, so we know it's effective.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2021, 01:15:36 AM »
Without a doubt dropping an anvil on someone's head was on Jim's writing bucket list.

He had set it up books ago, so yes. I suspect he would also like to shoehorn in killing a Black Court Vampire by placing a bucket of holy water balanced over a door, but Neil Gaiman got there first.

Online Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2021, 03:13:15 AM »
Well, Neil and Terry  :)
Remember the frozen chicken, JB likes his cartoon antics.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline lachiel.vaher

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2021, 01:28:55 PM »
The thing about Conjuritus that drives me bonkers.   And it's the ONLY thing I would ever criticize about these books as I absolutely love them every single one.     Conjuritus means "Inflammation of the Conjur" because of it's Latin suffix.   Ebenezer and most of the White Council speak fluent Latin, they would know that this is a misnomer.   "Conjurpox" would be far far more appropriate "Eruption of the Conjur" would make more sense.    Sure I can see Harry who is somewhat Latin challenged giving it this nickname if Ebenezer and Laura called it something more appropriate.    Only thing that has ever thrown me out of the story…       Love everything else about these two books.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 01:56:02 PM »
It was a deux ex machina to conjour an anvil to fall on black court vampires, to pay of a joke set books ago, wholly redundant in my view as an anvil being sliced up had already featured in Peace Talks, so presumably Charity has more than one Harry could have used in a more conventional fashion as a weapon against the Black Court.

Frankly I would have preferred it was used to conjour up Sue, if it was to be used at all.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2021, 04:32:27 PM »
The thing about Conjuritus that drives me bonkers.   And it's the ONLY thing I would ever criticize about these books as I absolutely love them every single one.     Conjuritus means "Inflammation of the Conjur" because of it's Latin suffix.   Ebenezer and most of the White Council speak fluent Latin, they would know that this is a misnomer.   "Conjurpox" would be far far more appropriate "Eruption of the Conjur" would make more sense.    Sure I can see Harry who is somewhat Latin challenged giving it this nickname if Ebenezer and Laura called it something more appropriate.    Only thing that has ever thrown me out of the story…       Love everything else about these two books.

I just looked up conjure, and I am sure you know more Latin than I do, this is closer to what I think
Jim was getting at.
verb (tr, adverb) to present to the mind; evoke or imagine he conjured up a picture of his childhood. to call up or command (a spirit or devil) by an incantation.

What does a wizard do?  He or she can conjure up things..

"itis" is defined in medical terms as
In medical terminology, a suffix usually indi- cates a procedure, condition, disease, or part of speech. A commonly used suffix is -itis, which means “inflammation.” When this suffix is paired with the prefix arthro-, meaning joint, the resulting word is arthritis, an inflammation of the joints

In this case I think conjurities refers to the condition common in young wizards when their talent first shows itself, as an allergy or common head cold, lacking motor control over his conjuring results in the picture in his head materializing when the patient sneezes, also excess snot in the from of ectoplasm..

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2021, 07:51:29 PM »
LOL, I liked that.

I think the most probable explanation is Maggie but I would love Seanham theory to be true. Specially if that means that Harry will become even more powerful.

Someone save this thread, so we remember this by the time JB explains it in a book  :)

Seanham theory?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Online Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2021, 08:01:47 PM »
This:
One thing that I found odd in Peace Talks and Battleground was Conjuritus. So here's my theory as to why Harry got Conjuritus as an adult (sorry if this was already posted). From my understanding, Conjuritus is mainly contracted by children. What if when Harry was growing up, Justin did something to Harry to dampen his power or set his power level back a few years? He has Conjuritus now because he is magically a child while physically an adult. This would explain why Harry never got Conjuritus as a child. Harry is surprisingly powerful for a wizard of his young age and is only growing stronger. If Justin wanted to control Harry, he would want to dampen Harry’s powers so Harry couldn’t overpower him or break out from his control (if he would have been successful in mind-controlling him).

Also, I need to clarify something. The word is "conjuritis", isn't it? Not "conjuritus"?
Missing you, Md 

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2021, 05:38:29 PM »
I won't spoil it, but the opening posts suggestion strays a bit too close to the plot in one of Jim's other books for it to be likely it will be the plot here.