Author Topic: Why Harry has Conjuritus as an Adult  (Read 5656 times)

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Why Harry has Conjuritus as an Adult
« on: February 23, 2021, 05:40:17 AM »
One thing that I found odd in Peace Talks and Battleground was Conjuritus. So here's my theory as to why Harry got Conjuritus as an adult (sorry if this was already posted). From my understanding, Conjuritus is mainly contracted by children. What if when Harry was growing up, Justin did something to Harry to dampen his power or set his power level back a few years? He has Conjuritus now because he is magically a child while physically an adult. This would explain why Harry never got Conjuritus as a child. Harry is surprisingly powerful for a wizard of his young age and is only growing stronger. If Justin wanted to control Harry, he would want to dampen Harry’s powers so Harry couldn’t overpower him or break out from his control (if he would have been successful in mind-controlling him).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:10:15 PM by seanham »

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Why Harry has Conjuritus as an Adult
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 09:55:53 PM »
General view is that he caught it from Maggie, and is a sign Maggie is talented and about to start puberty (when power shows up). Harry, never having been exposed, had no immunity. He stays away from other wizards; Ebenezer would have had his case centuries ago.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 10:11:00 PM »
General view is that he caught it from Maggie, and is a sign Maggie is talented and about to start puberty (when power shows up). Harry, never having been exposed, had no immunity. He stays away from other wizards; Ebenezer would have had his case centuries ago.

Yeah, and in adults these childhood things are always more severe..

Offline ZhonLord

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 10:28:07 PM »
Agreed with Bob and Mira.  It's extremely commonplace for parents to catch something their kids have gotten from school or interacting with other kids.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 12:22:08 AM »
I'm thinking this is a case of sword of truth power. Headaches come earliest to the most powerful Wizards. Chondritis might come in the most adolescent age of power not age of the child so I might agree with poster

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 02:21:50 AM »
Maggie probably got it from the Swartalves kids as asymptomatic carriers, and gave it to Harry. She probably had little sign as her magic hasn’t come in yet, so she may have had the equivalent if a cold just snot, no ectoplasm. Maggie hadn’t started her new school yet.

This may mean Maggie and Harry got a different strain to that normally encountered by human children, a variant mutating, jumping from Swartalves to humans, which is how the disease probably began in the first place as a disease of some supernatural race which jumped the species barrier. It probably just happened again, as unfortunately these things do.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 03:33:19 AM »
I'd just like to throw out the theory that maybe the Conjuritus is sentient and was trying to infect a Wizarding child but mistook Harry for one based on his maturity.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 07:04:04 AM »
LOL, I liked that.

I think the most probable explanation is Maggie but I would love Seanham theory to be true. Specially if that means that Harry will become even more powerful.

Someone save this thread, so we remember this by the time JB explains it in a book  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 04:19:05 PM »
Maggie probably got it from the Swartalves kids as asymptomatic carriers, and gave it to Harry. She probably had little sign as her magic hasn’t come in yet, so she may have had the equivalent if a cold just snot, no ectoplasm. Maggie hadn’t started her new school yet.

This may mean Maggie and Harry got a different strain to that normally encountered by human children, a variant mutating, jumping from Swartalves to humans, which is how the disease probably began in the first place as a disease of some supernatural race which jumped the species barrier. It probably just happened again, as unfortunately these things do.

I doubt it, take mumps,  according to the CDC

Mumps | Complications | CDC

Mumps can occasionally cause complications, especially in adults. Complications can include: inflammation of the testicles (orchitis) in males who have reached puberty; this may lead to a decrease in testicular size (testicular atrophy) inflammation of the ovaries (oophoritis) and/or breast tissue (mastitis)

So while no fun as a kid, I know I had them as a kid, less dangerous than if I were to get them now as an adult.  So I can see it being just a runny nose in Maggie's case, she is still young and if her magic hasn't quite kicked in, present itself as just a runny nose.  My guess is Elaine never caught it either as a kid and since both were carefully kept away from other wizards and their children by Justin, he wouldn't say anything about it.  So Harry wouldn't recognize it in little Maggie, let alone know that the effects could be much more severe on him, a mature wizard.  Most likely the more powerful the person, the more severe the symptoms... So a kid not into his or her magic yet would have mild symptoms, where as mature wizards could cause anvils to fall out of the sky with a sneeze.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 04:32:46 PM »
Two POV's on this. One, Jim is setting up Harry to get into shape shifting, laying the explanatory ground so to speak.

Two, Jim saw too many Road Runner cartoons as a child and wanted to drop an anvil on somebodies head.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 04:42:02 PM »
Well Harry getting into shapeshifting is an old woj and River Shoulders offered lessons in PT while Harry expressed interest in turning into a bird to get around easier in BG so it's probably happening soon.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 04:59:48 PM »
Two, Jim saw too many Road Runner cartoons as a child and wanted to drop an anvil on somebodies head.

Without a doubt dropping an anvil on someone's head was on Jim's writing bucket list.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 05:43:11 PM »
Without a doubt dropping an anvil on someone's head was on Jim's writing bucket list.

Yeah, well, that was just an exclamation point to the whole story line.. As it was, a lot of us were
complaining WTF?  What was the point of Harry getting conjuritus in the first place?  One or two points,  one setting up for little Maggie exhibiting talent, him catching it from her.  The second he needed a funny way for him to freak out Mavra a little bit.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 06:49:51 PM »
This thread makes me wonder why wizards in general and Harry in particular don't drop anvils on people all the time.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 07:41:55 PM »
Probably because if they did a Warden would show up to cut their head off for breaking the First Law.