Author Topic: Put On Your Tin Foil Hats, New Rudolph Theory  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Put On Your Tin Foil Hats, New Rudolph Theory
« on: February 20, 2021, 06:09:03 PM »

It occurred to me while I was posting in the "Balance" thread and I started to write it.  But then I
realized it may deserve a thread of it's own since if anyone cares to expand it send the thread sideways.. Anyway, here goes;

Here is the thought I just had, "could a coin possession go wrong?"  I mean, say Rudolph did pick up a coin, but because of his mental/emotional make up instead of making him a useful Denarian, it just drives him insane and increasingly paranoid?  Or more likely, say he merely came in contact with a coin like Harry did?  Being a wizard and finally set straight by Butters that Sheila wasn't there, Harry figured it out and coped with the whispers in his head.  But there is no Butters to tip Rudolph off, and I doubt he believes in the existence of of fallen angels entrapped in coins that can then posses the human that they come in contact with.  So here he is, hearing voices and increasingly paranoid, and for whatever reason the shadow of the fallen holding the coin cannot get through.  It could maybe influence him to blow Murphy away, but that is about it.  Does anyone else think this is possible?

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Put On Your Tin Foil Hats, New Rudolph Theory
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 10:05:53 PM »
Although I don't believe he has come in contact with a Coin....  I do think it would be great if he does later on.  Harry cannot really do anything to him right now....  But imagine he takes up that Coin....  He goes from pathetic worm to being as arrogant as ever.  The Coin would make him feel strong.  His real colors would shine through as the arrogant, blowhard he's always been.

Harry has no choice (heh heh) but to turn him into syrup with a soulfire enfused pyroblast.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 12:09:46 AM »
I think someone did some mind bending to Rudolf years ago to make him against Harry and Murphy. It could have been a White or Red Court Vamp or someone else. Perhaps also to deny supernatural things. It makes no sense for example for him to think Murphy is committing murder with the rocket launcher against the giant. It was like he saw her killing a normal person and not a monster.

Offline LaraBeck

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 12:40:13 AM »
It makes no sense for example for him to think Murphy is committing murder with the rocket launcher against the giant. It was like he saw her killing a normal person and not a monster.

Exactly! I thought so too.

Honestly, I think there's something else behind Murphy's death and Rudolph's role in it. Of course, Jim has said that he had to make Murph's death the worst possible death for her character, and he did, what worse than an useless death by incompetence. But... there are too many mentions of Rudolph being manipulated and that other players using him as a weapon against Harry and Murphy.

I think Murphy died for meta reasons and inbook reasons that will come into play soon-ish.

I dunno about Rudolph having a Coin, I mean, it would be interesting, Harry having to deal with Denarian Rudolph, it'd be a great opportunity for him to go and confront him again. But I find it unlikely.

I think the whole thing about Rudolph and the Lara wedding are actually about the same thing, the Librarians plot or whatever they're called, the people in the government that are in the know about the supernatural scene. I actually think that's the point of getting Harry close to Lara for the next books, so Harry can get in touch with those players.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 02:05:08 AM »
Or maybe Rudolph is one of those people who falls apart under stress. Giants running around, people using rocket launchers to kill them, generally speaking watching your reality fall apart on you.  You're shaky, panicked and have a gun in your hand. How could that possibly go wrong.

edit spelling
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 05:27:27 AM by morriswalters »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 02:30:24 AM »
Or maybe Rudolph is one of those people who falls apart under stress. Giants running around, people using rocket launchers to kill them, generally speaking watching your reality fall apart on you.  Your shaky, panicked and have a gun in your hand. How could that possibly go wrong.

Yeah Jim has said the supernatural community fear humans because we tend to go scorched Earth.  You could imagine large groups of Rudolphs running around, and armed.  Killing anyone, or anything that appears supernatural.  The same kind of people who burn people at the stake or talking to their cat because they think it's evil. 

Rudolph may just have been used as an example of why mortals need to be kept in the dark.  Because there are enough of them that just cannot handle the truth without losing their shit
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 02:32:23 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 05:58:22 PM »
Or maybe Rudolph is one of those people who falls apart under stress. Giants running around, people using rocket launchers to kill them, generally speaking watching your reality fall apart on you.  You're shaky, panicked and have a gun in your hand. How could that possibly go wrong.

edit spelling

I think that is the more likely answer as well.  However remember in Death Masks Harry would have innocently have handled a coin if Shiro, Sanya, or Michael hadn't stopped him, can't remember which one.  There is a reason why they didn't, as when Harry picked up the coin, and even though he didn't accept it, Lasciel's shadow was in his head.  There was whispering in his head even though he buried the coin and I think put a circle around it.  Then he was seeing Sheila, and believed she was real, it wasn't until Butters pointed out there was no one there that he realized what it was and could deal with the voice of Lasciel's shadow in his head.  But what if Rudolph handled a coin just enough to get that whispering going in his head?  Where most of us come from, if you are hearing voices, you are not completely sane..  And if you have no understanding of what it is, it could drive you insane.. So no, I don't think Rudolph had accept a coin, but if he came in enough contact with one, the shadow in his head could drive him crazy.  So suddenly killing an attacking giant could be seen as murder.. Or the voice made him think that because it knows how important Murphy is to Harry..