Author Topic: Mechanical Owl  (Read 1993 times)

Offline KlausGerken

• Participant
    • View Profile
Mechanical Owl
« on: March 15, 2021, 11:17:51 AM »
Hi,

I looking for ideas here.

My character was given an mechanical owl by Hephaistos, the greek god of metalworking. The owl was used by him to defend his island against intruders. We haven't seen it in action, but the eyes might have been some kind of weapon. We kind of tricked it by creating an illusion of both real an mechanical mice - it went for the mechanical ones. It can fly, obviously. And my character can talk to it via some kind of magical bond.

My character is a bike messenger from Berlin, who has been sponsored by the magic of the city.

I need some ideas on what the owl can do for me, and how to put that into DFRPG-Rules (NOT Accelerated). I have one point of refresh I can spend at this time.

At this moment I'm thinking along the lines of using the wonderous items rules, but I'm unsure if that would work.

So, looking for help here!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanical Owl
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 06:50:24 AM »
First of all, you'll want an Aspect. So you can spend a Fate Point and get some random logical benefit that you wouldn't think to include in a Power.

It basically sounds like an Item of Power. Perhaps granting a Supernatural Sense, if it basically serves as another pair of eyes. Or you could dig up this old custom Power and try something like...

Item of Power (metal owl) [+2]
  Projection [-2]
  Limitation (only for the owl) [+1]
    Wings [-1]
    Diminutive Size [-1]

That works out nicely to 1 Refresh. But as always, Powers like these are an at-your-own-risk kinda thing.

Offline KlausGerken

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanical Owl
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 06:35:50 PM »
First of all, you'll want an Aspect. So you can spend a Fate Point and get some random logical benefit that you wouldn't think to include in a Power.

It basically sounds like an Item of Power. Perhaps granting a Supernatural Sense, if it basically serves as another pair of eyes. Or you could dig up this old custom Power and try something like...

Item of Power (metal owl) [+2]
  Projection [-2]
  Limitation (only for the owl) [+1]
    Wings [-1]
    Diminutive Size [-1]

That works out nicely to 1 Refresh. But as always, Powers like these are an at-your-own-risk kinda thing.

Thank you very much. Item of Power is a great idea.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 07:40:23 PM by KlausGerken »