Author Topic: Lord of slowest terror  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of slowest terror
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2021, 05:54:42 PM »
Na..  Uriel said that if Michael misused his Grace that Uriel would fall.  Not Michael as Uriel, but Uriel.  It's not the same as a Mantle.

Mantle's are sources of power obtained by mortals.  Celestial Being's are something different.
That can be interpreted in several ways.

And even so something different does not mean in all things different. The grace can be transferred and Uriel could have been killed without the grace. Both are also in the text.

And then maybe Michael would have ended up as Uriel or Uriel’s boss would have given the grace to someone else or ......

It has just not been made clear.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 06:39:59 PM »
Na..  Uriel said that if Michael misused his Grace that Uriel would fall.  Not Michael as Uriel, but Uriel.  It's not the same as a Mantle.

Mantle's are sources of power obtained by mortals.  Celestial Being's are something different.
agreed, also I believe there are limits to the power that a mantle can give the holder, no matter how great.  In the case of an archangel's grace, I don't think there are any limits to it save the constraints that the Boss has put on him.  In other words because there is no limit to the actual power, the free will to act is taken away, so no archangel can use his grace on his own.  So it was a huge risk giving his grace to Michael, because Michael has free will and could do anything with it.  Because he put his trust in Michael and handed it over to him, Uriel became responsible, so he'd fall if Michael screwed up with it, not Michael, a mere mortal with free will.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2021, 06:41:04 PM »

And even so something different does not mean in all things different. The grace can be transferred and Uriel could have been killed without the grace. Both are also in the text.

And then maybe Michael would have ended up as Uriel or Uriel’s boss would have given the grace to someone else or ......

That's true, things are not clear.  My opinion is that Uriel's Grace cannot be forcebly taken or destroyed.  What happened with Michael is Uriel making a Choice.  He chose to grant Michael that power, and accepted the risks that choice could create.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2021, 07:49:02 PM »
That's true, things are not clear.  My opinion is that Uriel's Grace cannot be forcebly taken or destroyed.  What happened with Michael is Uriel making a Choice.  He chose to grant Michael that power, and accepted the risks that choice could create.

No,I think what Uriel did was like giving a kid a ak-47 and trust that he would be responsible enough to only shoot tin cans with it.. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2021, 08:42:53 PM »
But what would have happened if Uriel was killed while Michael had his grace?
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2021, 09:25:38 PM »
But what would have happened if Uriel was killed while Michael had his grace?

Like I said...  He took a risk.  I think it was kind of like Odin giving up Immortality to help humanity.  Not the same but similar.  I'm guessing either the Grace would go back to TWG, or maybe Michael could choose if he'd take it up or not.  I really don't know
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2021, 11:15:57 PM »

In Skin Game Uriel becomes a mortal and gets to trade places with Michael, what would have happened if he died? What would happen to his power?

If Uriel had died /somebody/ was going to be holding his grace, well it looks like you've got the job. And that would just be confusing because then there would be two Michaels that are archangels. "Michael the warrior and Michael the carpenter" "Carpenter, you mean like Jesus?" "No not the same guy". So it's probably a good thing it worked out the way it did.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2021, 11:18:08 PM »
Like I said...  He took a risk.  I think it was kind of like Odin giving up Immortality to help humanity.  Not the same but similar.  I'm guessing either the Grace would go back to TWG, or maybe Michael could choose if he'd take it up or not.  I really don't know

I think it would go back to the Lord..  Michael wouldn't consider keeping the Grace for himself, actually I doubt that he could.  As for Uriel, his mortal body would be killed, but angels are all soul so he return to the Almighty, get his Grace back, no harm, no foul..  Only if Michael misused the Grace would any real harm come to Uriel, in my opinion.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 11:44:04 PM »
I think the White God and his Archangels keep those forces within reality capable of destroying reality in check, allowing reality to develop through free will, this includes gods and rogue Archangels.

He permits beings in the mortal world at the Queens power level (the mothers are too powerful), some gods (like Odin) can continue in a reduced form, other like Hades can’t really leave the NeverNever. Ferrovax is only permitted to manifest in a human form.

The Titan upon breaking this compact was dealt with by three of the White Gods champions and taken off the board.

The Outsiders are not part of this compact, but to deal with them directly the White God would have to break the compact, freeing up the gods and rogue Archangels to intervene in the mortal world again, breaking it. It is not then an issue of relative strength between Uriel and HWWB, it is a question of not fighting a war on two fronts, which mankind would be unlikely to survive. This is why Uriel is limited, he can only work indirectly through the White God’s champions, the Knights and the recipients of Soulfire like Harry. He can destroy galaxies but to do so would invite the destruction of mankind.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2021, 04:32:24 AM »

I wonder if we should wait a bit to decide.. Yeah, WOJ, but was it a thought out answer or something
off the top of his head when asked?  I want to see the evidence for it on the written page.. So far the Outsider Knights we've seen are powerful and scary, true, but none of them appear to match an archangel, who also has his own restrictions, not even close.  Or is that all a matter of perception?
Well, from a certain point of view, a kitten is scarier than an archangel, but not more powerful.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2021, 04:46:44 AM »
Well, from a certain point of view, a kitten is scarier than an archangel, but not more powerful.
Depends how you look at it. The kitten can scratch you, the angel is not allowed to do so. If you define power as the ability to actually do things that kitten is way more powerful.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2021, 05:51:23 PM »
Depends how you look at it. The kitten can scratch you, the angel is not allowed to do so. If you define power as the ability to actually do things that kitten is way more powerful.

Yes, and the scratch could get infected, which could result in a lot of unpleasant things including death.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2021, 07:10:39 PM »

True but Walkers are also limited by rules.  Can only do certain things.  My guess is these rules are enforced....  By someone...  I mean the rules were put in place, so who enforces them?  Either TWG Himself, or his Angles.  If they are capable of enforcing such rules it means they are on a high level of power.

Also remember that a Starborn can hurt an Outsider...  Well if a little wizard can do that I'd imagine that someone like Uriel could do a lot worse than hurt them.

Either that or TWG and the Lord of Slowest Terror are on even footing, and they know that if they go against the other it's basically a stalemate.  So they have some sort of understanding
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 07:13:27 PM by groinkick »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2021, 07:53:20 PM »
True but Walkers are also limited by rules.  Can only do certain things.  My guess is these rules are enforced....  By someone...  I mean the rules were put in place, so who enforces them?  Either TWG Himself, or his Angles.  If they are capable of enforcing such rules it means they are on a high level of power.

Also remember that a Starborn can hurt an Outsider...  Well if a little wizard can do that I'd imagine that someone like Uriel could do a lot worse than hurt them.

Either that or TWG and the Lord of Slowest Terror are on even footing, and they know that if they go against the other it's basically a stalemate.  So they have some sort of understanding
That is one option. The other one is that is just the way thinks work because creation was made that way. Because reality functions like that. When the outsiders come here they have to adapt to this reality to a certain extend.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2021, 07:54:37 PM »

I was thinking of it more as limits than rules.

Like, HWWB has enough power to project itself into the world into however many realities, and be powerful in all. But if it tried to squeeze its full power into one reality, it'd have to crack the Outer Gates to fit. No breaking of the Outer Gates, no fit.

In that sense, then, the angels have to only be powerful enough to keep HWWB from breaking the gates directly - they don't have to be vastly stronger to enforce 'rules' on it. And most likely they are doing that in all realities at the same time, so if HWWB tries to break into this reality, then Uriel can wield all his power at the Outer Gates of this reality, too; no need to actively maintain the other ones (they'll hold up for a while if HWWB isn't there to crack them).

Now of course, Uriel can never wield his full power INSIDE one reality either, so whatever HWWB squeezes through the cracks has to be countered in other ways, rather than Uriel just smiting it.