Author Topic: Lord of slowest terror  (Read 4040 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Lord of slowest terror
« on: February 17, 2021, 01:57:03 AM »
He Who Walks Behind is the right hand of the Lord of slowest terror.  I'm guessing that the relationship is similar to the Queen's and Mothers.  That being said, do you think we will learn more about LoST?  Have any theories?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of slowest terror
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 03:03:18 AM »
He Who Walks Behind is the right hand of the Lord of slowest terror.  I'm guessing that the relationship is similar to the Queen's and Mothers.  That being said, do you think we will learn more about LoST?  Have any theories?
He's in an awkward spot story-wise since HWWB is on par with Uriel and he's presumably even tougher so that really limits story options with him.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 03:09:38 AM »
He's in an awkward spot story-wise since HWWB is on par with Uriel and he's presumably even tougher so that really limits story options with him.

Wait where is that stated about being on par with Uriel?  I know Dresden said Before was more real than Mab.  Like a statue while she was a copy or something like that.  I don't recall anywhere that a Walker is on par with an Archangel.  Not even close.  They may be unkillable but from what has been displayed so far?  Uriel could destroy the galaxy with a thought....  Before got it's ass beat vs Demonreach and a bullet enfused with Soulfire sent It running.  Not to mention Dresden beat it's ass for a few seconds at Mac's.....  I don't see Dresden touching Uriel for even a moment. I think Harry could throw everything at Uriel and it wouldn't so much as make him blink.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 03:11:17 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 05:46:12 AM »
Wait where is that stated about being on par with Uriel?  I know Dresden said Before was more real than Mab.  Like a statue while she was a copy or something like that.  I don't recall anywhere that a Walker is on par with an Archangel.  Not even close.  They may be unkillable but from what has been displayed so far?  Uriel could destroy the galaxy with a thought....  Before got it's ass beat vs Demonreach and a bullet enfused with Soulfire sent It running.  Not to mention Dresden beat it's ass for a few seconds at Mac's.....  I don't see Dresden touching Uriel for even a moment. I think Harry could throw everything at Uriel and it wouldn't so much as make him blink.
It came directly from Jim a while back. Since Cold Days I think. He said He Who Walks Behind is operating on the same level as Uriel but has very weird limits so can only use his full power within those. Not all that unlike Uriel either. I don't know if he was talking about Before and Beside...but the Walkers apparently are the same. As for what happened to Before - it's the vessel that was destroyed, not the being. Uriel doesn't seem to need or use a physical body. Probably why he doesn't show up their much. In fact the only time we have seen him have one was when he transubstantiated.

As for the Lord of Slowest Terror, in theory that puts him on TWG level. But maybe not practically as he doesn't appear to be running the show nor has he broken into reality (or at least not fully). Perhaps it's a matter of how much power he can bring in one space. The ocean is big but only some of it can fit in a river, maybe it takes time to over run things. The Outsiders have referred to themselves (and Harry has compared them to) the tide and the ocean.

Harry might not be able to touch Uriel normally, but we know now that the Eye of Balor could kill Uriel. Which means Uriel would have to defend himself or evade etc. Assuming he somehow didn't know the attack was coming in the first place. Uriel also, like any other immortal, can be killed on Halloween. So Harry's chance of killing Uriel isn't nothing with the right preparation. Choose the right ground, the right time, the right weapons etc.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 06:08:47 AM »
2018 AMA.

7) HHWB, being a Walker, is an outsider on a power level similar to Uriel. He can do all KINDS of stuff. But also has a lot of weird limits as to when and where he can use his power.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/8ntzo3/my_name_is_jim_butcher_and_i_write_stories_ask_me/dzyl9ey/

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 08:52:00 AM »
well, uriel's boss is TWG, so hhwbhs boss would be on par with that?🤔

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 12:40:49 PM »
Not on par with Uriel...forget that nonsense...could be more or less as old? He Could be the bad guys version/par of a Archangel of bad? Somebody's going to have to reword or we theorize being on par in power

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 12:57:34 PM »

If he has more limits placed upon him than an archangel, the question then becomes, "why?" After
all I thought the other side rebelled because they didn't want a whole lot of limits placed upon them.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 02:18:08 PM »
well, uriel's boss is TWG, so hhwbhs boss would be on par with that?🤔
Which is rather awkward since Harry can't really matter much at that scale.
Not on par with Uriel...forget that nonsense...could be more or less as old? He Could be the bad guys version/par of a Archangel of bad? Somebody's going to have to reword or we theorize being on par in power
Well the quote explicitly says "on a power level similar to Uriel", not really talking about age.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 02:30:04 PM »

I wonder if we should wait a bit to decide.. Yeah, WOJ, but was it a thought out answer or something
off the top of his head when asked?  I want to see the evidence for it on the written page.. So far the Outsider Knights we've seen are powerful and scary, true, but none of them appear to match an archangel, who also has his own restrictions, not even close.  Or is that all a matter of perception? 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 04:13:52 PM »
Harry might not be able to touch Uriel normally, but we know now that the Eye of Balor could kill Uriel. Which means Uriel would have to defend himself or evade etc. Assuming he somehow didn't know the attack was coming in the first place. Uriel also, like any other immortal, can be killed on Halloween. So Harry's chance of killing Uriel isn't nothing with the right preparation. Choose the right ground, the right time, the right weapons etc.

I don't believe this to be correct.  There is no reason to believe Uriel can be killed on Halloween.  Just as Bob said that Walkers are unkillable, so is Uriel.  He's not even here when he's talking to Harry.  He's projecting a tiny peice of himself.  Not only that but Halloween is about changing masks, which is why things like Mab can be killed.  Uriel isn't a mask to be exchanged but a celestial being.  Finally, the eye wouldn't even kill Mab.  It would kill the mortal wearing the mask, Mab would move on to Molly which is why Mab told Harry to kill her if she died.  Uriel is pure soul, there is no mortal beneath it to kill.

Not all Immortals are created equal. 

WoJ:
Though for the record, the Dresden universe angels have been around since before time was a Thing. #TemporalHipsters

Jim: 1) A being like Uriel doesn’t really do battle in the sense of contested violence. He just sort of thinks about annihilating galaxies and it happens.

Perfect example of Mab's power vs Uriel...  Not even in the same galaxy when it comes to power.  Not even remotely close.  Mab's power are global, Uriel's powers are on a universal scale.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:25:18 PM by groinkick »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 04:24:57 PM »
I don't believe this to be correct.  There is no reason to believe Uriel can be killed on Halloween.  Just as Bob said that Walkers are unkillable, so is Uriel.  He's not even here when he's talking to Harry.  He's projecting a tiny peice of himself.  Not only that but Halloween is about changing masks, which is why things like Mab can be killed.  Uriel isn't a mask to be exchanged but a celestial being.  Finally, the eye wouldn't even kill Mab.  It would kill the mortal wearing the mask, Mab would move on to Molly which is why Mab told Harry to kill her if she died.  Uriel is pure soul, there is no mortal beneath it to kill.

Not all Immortals are created equal.

Never heard that archangels can be killed on Halloween.  Is there a WOJ to that effect? 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 04:25:51 PM »
Never heard that archangels can be killed on Halloween.  Is there a WOJ to that effect?

None that I can find.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 04:37:23 PM »
Skin Game suggests the grace is some sort of mantle. In changes Harry and Uriel discuss the circle Harry used to call up Uriel. Gods and angels seem to know each other and sometimes interact socially. It is likely that angels also in other ways function similar to other gods.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 04:42:15 PM »
Skin Game suggests the grace is some sort of mantle. In changes Harry and Uriel discuss the circle Harry used to call up Uriel. Gods and angels seem to know each other and sometimes interact socially. It is likely that angels also in other ways function similar to other gods.

Na..  Uriel said that if Michael misused his Grace that Uriel would fall.  Not Michael as Uriel, but Uriel.  It's not the same as a Mantle.

Mantle's are sources of power obtained by mortals.  Celestial Being's are something different. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:48:02 PM by groinkick »