Author Topic: Balancing the scales?  (Read 4729 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Balancing the scales?
« on: February 16, 2021, 07:11:33 PM »
Ok I thought of this yesterday.  It would call into question the morality of balancing the scales though.  What if one of the Fallen (in the case Marcone's Coin), caused Murphy to die?  Harry's partner...  Then to balance the scales Marcone's right hand, Hendricks fell in battle.

I think it's unlikely but just thinking about it.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Balancing the scales?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 07:37:17 PM »
Ok I thought of this yesterday.  It would call into question the morality of balancing the scales though.  What if one of the Fallen (in the case Marcone's Coin), caused Murphy to die?  Harry's partner...  Then to balance the scales Marcone's right hand, Hendricks fell in battle.

I think it's unlikely but just thinking about it.

Yeah, it think that one is more of a coincidence than the balance of scales.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 07:49:20 PM »
That's evil for evil, as in two wrongs don't make a right. Not balancing the scales.

Offline ZhonLord

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 10:43:58 PM »
Agreed with the others, and I'll also point out that of all the Fallen, Thorned Namshiel appears to be the most laid back of the thirty.  He can destroy you or have a cup of tea with equal preference, he doesn't seem to hold grudges very deeply, and based on our few interactions with him he likes the direct approach to payback.

Even if it wasn't a coincidence and there was Fallen influence in Murphey's death, I find it extremely unlikely that Namshiel's hand would have been behind it.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 11:17:22 PM »
Agreed with the others, and I'll also point out that of all the Fallen, Thorned Namshiel appears to be the most laid back of the thirty.  He can destroy you or have a cup of tea with equal preference, he doesn't seem to hold grudges very deeply, and based on our few interactions with him he likes the direct approach to payback.

Even if it wasn't a coincidence and there was Fallen influence in Murphey's death, I find it extremely unlikely that Namshiel's hand would have been behind it.
Less lazy and more far more interested in magical experiments than he is in tormenting people most of the time.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 01:04:43 AM »
He led the attack on Arctis Tor, he designed the circle that held the Archive and he was working for or with the Circle.  Laid back seems a strange choice of words for a Fallen with that background.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 04:45:18 AM »
He led the attack on Arctis Tor, he designed the circle that held the Archive and he was working for or with the Circle.  Laid back seems a strange choice of words for a Fallen with that background.
Agreed. He also expressed more hatred for humanity than any other Fallen we've seen.

Offline ZhonLord

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 10:29:34 PM »
Agreed. He also expressed more hatred for humanity than any other Fallen we've seen.
I don't remember the expression of hatred, but I will point out that the other things he did were at Nicodemus' instruction and requests. Namshiel is a potent magic user, it makes sense to give him those tasks.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 08:36:03 PM »
There is one scale here that seems balanced. Both hendricks and Murphy were who held back the worst part of their partner. Now neither have a moral rock to keep them grounded.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 09:55:26 PM »
I don't remember the expression of hatred, but I will point out that the other things he did were at Nicodemus' instruction and requests. Namshiel is a potent magic user, it makes sense to give him those tasks.
So evil is okay if you're only following orders? That doesn't change anything about the attack on Arctis Tor, which was almost certainly at the direction of the Circle(Black Council, Nemesis, et al).

Offline ZhonLord

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 10:22:08 PM »
So evil is okay if you're only following orders? That doesn't change anything about the attack on Arctis Tor, which was almost certainly at the direction of the Circle(Black Council, Nemesis, et al).
My point is that it wasn't something Namshiel did on his own initiative, he was instructed to lead that assault.  Therefore my description of him being more laid back than the other Fallen is still valid.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 03:45:14 AM »
My point is that it wasn't something Namshiel did on his own initiative, he was instructed to lead that assault.  Therefore my description of him being more laid back than the other Fallen is still valid.

If he was ordered to do it, I don't think it was by Nicodemus. Freaking out when Harry mentioned Denarian involvement in the attack gained him nothing, and he shows every indication of sincerely seeing the Outsiders as just as much of an enemy as he does Heaven.

It's credible that Tessa put him up to it, though, if not outright framed him as the Denarian involved. I'm pretty sure some combination of Tessa and/or Rosanna and/or Namshiel are aligned with the Circle and the Outsiders, but there's a decent possibility the actual 'Judas(es)' among the Denarians might be setting the others in their little group up to take the fall from Mab and/or Nic.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 08:29:15 AM »
He didn't end up in a Silver Denarius because he's laid back. Ted Bundy was a fun date, until he wasn't. The outward appearance has nothing to do with what he is.

Online didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 09:48:53 AM »
He didn't end up in a Silver Denarius because he's laid back.

Not in an absolute sense, but for a Fallen, he kind of is:

But Thorned Namshiel, he's a terrible demon, not all of the fallen are equal with everybody else and Thorned Namshiel is so busy with his nerdy research that he barely has time to torture anyone.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 10:38:02 AM »
Don't take this in the wrong way but Jim is full of shit ;). He's dissembling. There are thousands of shades of red, but they are all still red.  If he's a demon, it is what it is. However when you read it, it's your book, so think about it in whatever fashion that makes it a good story for you. I personally  would terminate him with extreme prejudice. Marcone right along with him. >:(.