Author Topic: Vadderung in The Good People  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Vadderung in The Good People
« on: January 25, 2021, 12:32:49 PM »
Has anyone noticed how Vadderung's eyes were red? Even Rudoph's (which is one of his focus')?

I have a theory that perhaps the red means Chaos. The same origins as the energy of the Eye of Balor but much less of it.

But Vadderung is knows better than to put all his eggs in his One Ring, to mix metaphors.

To me, Vadderung is both a god and a saint and a fairy, and more besides. He probably switches as much as he needs between whatever.

But there must be an opposite power to Chaos. Order or perhaps Law. I wonder if the color is blue.

Also, his Kringle wasn't normal. It was far skinnier and more of a combo between Kringle and Vadderung.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Vadderung in The Good People
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 01:10:52 PM »
Also, his Kringle wasn't normal. It was far skinnier and more of a combo between Kringle and Vadderung.

Father Christmas is generally pretty skinny, it is the American version of Santa that is seen as fat.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 03:28:03 PM »
I personally lean towards Vadderung being Balor originally; hence Ethniu's solicitation

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 08:42:12 PM »
Father Christmas is generally pretty skinny, it is the American version of Santa that is seen as fat.
Father Christmas is an older version of Santa, and one of the ideas that go into our current version. But I was more referring to the difference between Kringle's description in Cold Days/Christmas Eve and The Good People. He is described as being huge like a bear in Cold Days with a big belly. Whereas in The Good People he is basically Vadderung dressed in Kringle's clothes.

I personally lean towards Vadderung being Balor originally; hence Ethniu's solicitation
I have wondered about this. It certainly would fit in a macabre way. Lines like "people you do not get along with" etc make more sense. And it isn't clear on the myths whether Balor had one, two or three eyes. There is also possible Indian and Greek influences on Celtic mythology, so Balor could have been influenced from the Chimaera or Cyclops or even Shiva.

But it seems strange that Ethniu would take over the Fomor or that Vadderung would be allowed to be a part of Winter etc. Also surely if that was his old Eye there would be more than one reference to it.

I think it's more likely she was respecting Odin who was once a very powerful European god and was sad to see he has lost much of his divine power and doesn't see the advantages he has gained.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 09:39:08 PM »

Are you referring to BG?  He wasn't there as Kringle, but as Odin
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 10:31:29 PM »
Are you referring to BG?  He wasn't there as Kringle, but as Odin
the microfiction with Molly on Christmas.
To he fair, he's at the height of his power on HIS night that night. He might manifest that as less fat/connection to the new image of santa.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 05:22:34 PM »

Ever since Coca Cola appropriated him as a spokesman.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 07:03:38 PM »
Ever since Coca Cola appropriated him as a spokesman.

Or "The Night Before Christmas,"  paraphrasing, "When he laughed his stomach shook like a bowl full of jelly."

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 09:12:59 PM »
The descriptions for Kringle in Cold Days and the microfiction Christmas Eve (or should it be Kristmas Eve...) are much beefier and more in keeping with the current image.

The description in The Good People is skinnier and closer to his Vadderung image.

I don't think it's related to his much power he has myself. I think Molly might be seeing him more clearly than Dresden, myself.

the microfiction with Molly on Christmas.
To he fair, he's at the height of his power on HIS night that night. He might manifest that as less fat/connection to the new image of santa.
It certainly is possible. But Christmas Eve is actually the same night as the The Good People isn't it? So why the change? I think it's just Molly's enhanced perception versus Dresden's more limited one. Perhaps Jim just forgot or perhaps he is just showing how malleable reality is.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 11:40:31 PM »

I mean that feels like a bit of a stretch to me, but it'd certainly be a take on "Giving up his eye to gain Wisdom"

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 12:01:18 AM »
@yulligan,
Oh didn't realize that.. mmm, perhaps it is based a bit on perceptions then. Molly seeing through him more clearly
*Harry does have beliefs in Christmas, perhaps that effects how he manifests to him, like a slightly different mask. Kinda like how different regions knew the same gods by different names. Harry believes in the new age Santa. Molly being fae isn't effected by it though?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 12:49:29 AM by The_Sibelis »