Author Topic: How do you see MM Harry being buffed?  (Read 4549 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: How do you see MM Harry being buffed?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 05:23:09 AM »
A counter question to the OP is what will Harry bring with him that MM Harry won't have?  I think the most obvious answer is soulfire.  If MM Harry hasn't touched one of the tainted denarius coins he won't have access to hellfire, but even if that is the case I'm sure he'll have some other nasty abilities he can draw upon. 

I don't think we can be certain that Harry will be able to call upon Winter to push through obstacles and ignore pain.  It's possible that whoever is Winter Knight in the MM world will keep all their Winter Mojo and Harry will lose his.  Perhaps the power of Winter will get divided between himself and the MM Winter Knight or perhaps while Harry is in the MM world there will be two Winter Knights around. 

If the later is the case I imagine Titania wouldn't be too happy about that.  Harry might have to dodge attempts by Summer to reduce Winter's seeming 2 to 1 advantage in Knights.  If Harry does have his full Winter power I don't think he has to obey Mab because she won't be his Mab.  If Harry were to lose his Winter Knight mojo I would have to question whether his back has healed enough for him to be as athletic as he will probably need to be.  That is why I think Harry will maintain at least some of the Winter Knight's ability to push through pain and keep going where a normal person would falter.  Plus, he will still know Winter spells.

I think regular Harry will be mentally and emotional tougher than MM Harry.  You could even say Harry will be more emotionally mature than his MM counterpart.  Yes I know, the name Harry Dresden and the words emotional maturity don't usually go together, but in this case I think they do.  MM Harry will be suave and appear to be more confidant and assured.  Plus, he will have some magical abilities regular Harry will either not have access to or may have access to but ones he hasn't practiced, like necromancy.  However, MM Harry's confidence will hide a deep insecurity that at some point in the story; most likely their final confrontation, regular Harry should be able to figure out and play upon.

I thought he'd have his Winter Knight Mantle, but now I'm thinking not.  It will be another way of weakening him to fight his alter.  However it will give him insight into how the Mantle had been changing him without noticing it.  It will help him to have more control when he returns.

Harry Prime                |           MM Harry
Stable                        |           Volatile, and unpredictable
Cares about people     |           See's them as tools or objects
Love / compassion      |            Anger, hatred, ruthless
Embraces creation      |             Embraces destruction

These personality traits will give you an idea of what fuels his magic I think.  I think Prime Harry will be simply outmatched by MM's raw horsepower.  He will also have the unique perspective of witnessing just how frightening he can be, something he couldn't have known until facing himself. 

Harry has used both Soulfire and Hellfire.  I'm wondering if MM Harry will be using something else.  Anti-life power, or spirit energy or something like that connected to necromancy. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 05:25:48 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 06:21:16 AM »
I think mm Harry has enslaved Mavra with the word of Kemmler. That will give all kinds of interesting interactions. I do not think he will be winter night because he probably made other more evil choices. Thomas might be the winter knight. Mab could arrange that under the right circumstances.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 08:01:29 AM »
Have that woj source by any chance?
offhand, no. Wasn't in the main Woj section. Gonna have to search the transcripts directly. Question about pushing the middle back to changes and Harry's ooptions..

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2021, 09:22:39 AM »
Question: Has there been a part of The Dresden Files that you didn't plan out, but you just let play out on paper?

Jim: Well the fun part is when we got up to Changes Harry Dresden basically came to a big crossroads in his life and he got himself into a position where he was gonna have to make a deal with somebody if he was going to save his daughter's life. So he was gonna have to get faustian with someone and the question was- he had about three different options that he could take and which one was he going to take and I wasn't sure until I wrote the book which way he was going to go. So the Dresden Files could have looked like a very different series had he decided to take up one of the Fallen coins, one of the 30 silver coins with fallen angels in them. It would have turned out very differently if he'd taken up the old necromancer's- the book of Kemmler, and caused an ecological disaster to gather enough power to save his daughter. And there would have been very different views on that, the series would have come out in very different colours, very different palette depending on which way he went. But he went with- made a deal with Mab, the queen of air and darkness and off they went to save the universe Mab style.

-One of the Salt Lake Comic Cons from 2015 or earlier
https://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,22558.msg2191567.html#msg2191567
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 11:10:10 AM »
Thanks 👍

Offline JTass

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2021, 01:56:52 AM »
I think Jim will go a different direction. Throughout the series Harry has depended on slinging ever-increasing amounts of power, but has always admitted that delicacy and subtle uses of power are the areas where he is most lacking.
My WAG for Mirror, Mirror is that whatever the situation is, it will require the focus and control of a neurosurgeon's scalpel, when Harry is most suited to and most used to wielding the equivalent of a chainsaw.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2021, 05:10:32 AM »
I think Jim will go a different direction. Throughout the series Harry has depended on slinging ever-increasing amounts of power, but has always admitted that delicacy and subtle uses of power are the areas where he is most lacking.
My WAG for Mirror, Mirror is that whatever the situation is, it will require the focus and control of a neurosurgeon's scalpel, when Harry is most suited to and most used to wielding the equivalent of a chainsaw.

Because Harry's has often been forced to work without foci since he became the Winter Knight, his magical control has probably become much better.  So, perhaps Harry Prime's control will make up; at least to some degree, Alt - Harry's advantage in raw magical strength.

On a different subject, the reason I wondered to what degree Harry's back has healed is because of the scene in Cold Days when Harry said, "Screw Winter Law" and suddenly the Winter magic that was holding his damaged back together deserted him and he collapsed to the floor.  Winter was holding Harry together and allowing him to function, but it was his own wizard healing ability that was slowly rebuilding him back to normal.  So if Harry lost contact with Winter magic in the MM world, IMO it's an open question how much his back has healed so Harry could at least move around like a normal healthy person.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2021, 05:30:53 AM »
Because Harry's has often been forced to work without foci since he became the Winter Knight, his magical control has probably become much better.  So, perhaps Harry Prime's control will make up; at least to some degree, Alt - Harry's advantage in raw magical strength.

On a different subject, the reason I wondered to what degree Harry's back has healed is because of the scene in Cold Days when Harry said, "Screw Winter Law" and suddenly the Winter magic that was holding his damaged back together deserted him and he collapsed to the floor.  Winter was holding Harry together and allowing him to function, but it was his own wizard healing ability that was slowly rebuilding him back to normal.  So if Harry lost contact with Winter magic in the MM world, IMO it's an open question how much his back has healed so Harry could at least move around like a normal healthy person.
I think Mab was just showing her power over Harry and that obeying winter law was part of the deal. Jim was asked about it once and he did so wonderfully not answer the question in a way that suggested this interpretation is wrong and we have to find a better one.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2021, 05:58:39 AM »
Recent Woj about multiversal Mab makes me think he does not lose it by changing dimensions. Otherwise how would he still "work" for her?

Offline JTass

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2021, 05:31:13 PM »

I agree with you that Harry's control has become much better, and that could be an offsetting factor in the scenario I've posited. However, control does not equal delicacy. To go back to my original analogy, having excellent control over a chainsaw still doesn't help when the situation requires the precision of a scalpel.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2021, 05:25:14 AM »
Recent Woj about multiversal Mab makes me think he does not lose it by changing dimensions. Otherwise how would he still "work" for her?

I figured that it would be one way to weaken him (he's always beat up when he finally faces a threat), and also to possibly cause some problems for when he gets back (The Mantle was in a kind of limbo)
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.