Author Topic: Lara Raith killed Malcolm Dresden  (Read 12513 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Lara Raith killed Malcolm Dresden
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2021, 06:13:57 AM »
I find the timing weird for Justin to have been (whether he did it personally or had help) behind it. Harry is in the orphanage for four years between his father's death and Justin's adoption. It feels off to me that Justin would kill Malcolm and then chill out for four years until Harry develops his talent. That isn't to say that Justin wasn't watching, though. If it was a year—maybe two—I might be able to see it. But four years is a long time to wait after committing murder..
It is also the smart thing to do if you are a long term planner and Justin apparently is.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2021, 06:20:24 AM »
Thomas also had a pretty good level wizard for a mother.....  and I would assume most Council women would not hook up with a Whamp. The Whamps know OF magic, but use it? Maybe the Hunger dampens magical ability too - yes, Thomas may have some.. but who are his relatives? His mom was good, his brother is VERY good, and old Grandpa..... top of the heap.
Hookup with a wizard is unlikely. Hookup with a warlock however would be very convenient, they are looking for protection from the white council after all.

And a young wizard is vulnerable to the white court whammy. If a white court vampire was daring and subtle enough she could arrange a one night stand with a young wizard. Especially one living apart far from other wizards.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2021, 05:54:49 PM »
More importantly papa Raith had no motive to kill Malcolm but a lot of reasons to kill Harry. Justin had reasons to kill Malcolm but no reasons to kill Harry. What happened?
I was never arguing that a Raith killed Malcolm. I was arguing that a death certificate saying he died of an aneurism makes sense no matter who killed him. I've don't think whoever killed Malcolm is dead and defeated, so I don't think it's just Lord Raith or just Justin (unless Justin is still around).

If it was some mysterious death the coroner couldn't figure out, pick a natural cause it most looks like and go with that to hide the fact he doesn't know what's going on. The series has established that's how these things work unless you run into someone like Butters who ends up being committed and not telling the truth in an official report again.

If it was anyone trying to not kill Harry but instead use him somehow down the road, they wouldn't want anything to prompt him to question the death when he realizes one cannot trust the official records. If it was labeled "unknown" like it can be in the real world, Harry's first thought would probably be magic.

And Lord Raith may have thought he had to kill Malcolm because he couldn't let a "buck" steal his "doe." He couldn't let Arturo survive having unwittingly defied him. And that was probably a much lesser slight than "poaching" a "doe" from the king of "apex sexual predator(s)."

Het father at this point. But why would she leave Harry malive and kill the father and not the other way round.
Because she's much less of a monster than her father. Her father orders Malcolm killed for the reason I stated above. He has been assuming Harry died at birth or is oblivious to the particulars of Margaret's death. He seems the type to miss little things like this, but that might be because he's incapable of feeding when we meet him and is slowly going insane. His inattention to details would also explain why it took six years for him to order Malcolm's death.

Another possibility that hasn't been brought up is that Lord Raith and Justin were working together. They were both part of whatever scheme Margaret was a part of. Many here have theorized that that Margaret birthing a starborn was part of that scheme.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2021, 06:18:11 PM »
Because she's much less of a monster than her father. Her father orders Malcolm killed for the reason I stated above. He has been assuming Harry died at birth or is oblivious to the particulars of Margaret's death. He seems the type to miss little things like this, but that might be because he's incapable of feeding when we meet him and is slowly going insane. His inattention to details would also explain why it took six years for him to order Malcolm's death.

Actually we don't know how much of a monster Lara is capable of being.  Just because your pet tiger seems tame, don't ever forget that it is a wild animal and it's instinct is to eat you... ::)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2021, 07:14:08 PM »
Actually we don't know how much of a monster Lara is capable of being.  Just because your pet tiger seems tame, don't ever forget that it is a wild animal and it's instinct is to eat you... ::)
Sure, but Lord Raith was evil for evil's sake. Lara doesn't seem to enjoy petty cruelties like he did. While I think that makes Lara less of a monster, I also think it makes her a more capable monster.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2021, 07:40:20 PM »
Sure, but Lord Raith was evil for evil's sake. Lara doesn't seem to enjoy petty cruelties like he did. While I think that makes Lara less of a monster, I also think it makes her a more capable monster.

I don't know about that, consider her vanilla guards, when they were badly injured protecting her, she fed them to her fellows instead of heroic measures to try and save them..

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2021, 07:55:55 PM »
We've seen a Sidhe kill a man with a heart attack.  Maeve does it with a trumpet player in Summer Knight. But having watched a man die with a burst aneurysm, there was no smile on his face.  Maybe Malcolm knew something that the person who killed him didn't.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2021, 08:15:17 PM »
  I don't know about that, consider her vanilla guards, when they were badly injured protecting her, she fed them to her fellows instead of heroic measures to try and save them..

That's a practical evil. They were injured, and so they weren't useful. Better to use them to fix up her fellow Wampires.

Her father on the other hand would have also fed the Healthy ones to them, because who cares, you can always hire more mercs. And by hire, he means addict them to you so they'll work for free.