Author Topic: What happened to Carlos Ramirez?  (Read 5416 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Carlos Ramirez?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 06:26:17 AM »
It had to be a warden because attacking any other attendee would break the accords. He said so. I suspect he did it with Carlos because it was the easier target (He needed to touch to it) and perhaps also because he could have disguised the attack as a prank. He would have been scolded and ridiculed, perhaps, but it would have been difficult for the White Council to prove that it was more than a prank.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 10:14:25 AM »
Because the jerk did the Ink tracking on him payback fair's fair.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 04:19:56 PM »
I wonder why Dresden burned Carlos during the meeting.    Yes he had to create a distraction, but why target Ramirez (aka - a friend) rather than some warden or other attendee at the meet and greet.

Harry was already pissed at him, or had good reason to be pissed.  The tracking ink could be seen as a betrayal of friendship by Harry.  Yeah, I know the argument that Carlos was merely doing his job, but that doesn't remove the emotion.  I think the last straw was Carlos going along with checking to see if he had had sex, then demanding who he had it with..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 04:39:43 PM »
I wonder why Dresden burned Carlos during the meeting.    Yes he had to create a distraction, but why target Ramirez (aka - a friend) rather than some warden or other attendee at the meet and greet.
Balance. Harry is winter now and Carlos had magically tagged him.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 06:56:53 PM »
Harry was already pissed at him, or had good reason to be pissed.  The tracking ink could be seen as a betrayal of friendship by Harry.  Yeah, I know the argument that Carlos was merely doing his job, but that doesn't remove the emotion.  I think the last straw was Carlos going along with checking to see if he had had sex, then demanding who he had it with..
All that is true but we see Harry thoughts at the moment and he actually felt sorry for doing that to Carlos. So, even when Harry was pissed off with him he still thinks of Carlos as a friend and did not like to humiliate him. He did it because Thomas was in serious danger.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2021, 07:20:26 PM »
Personally, I think Carlos will play the part of the virgin for the eventual Dresden Holy Grail quest.
*cough* Galahad *cough cough*

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2021, 08:51:11 PM »
Does make one wonder why Harry didn't hurt some Faery. He's the Winter Knight, he can do that. It's mean, sure, but it's "only" a faery, not a friend.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2021, 09:12:15 PM »
All that is true but we see Harry thoughts at the moment and he actually felt sorry for doing that to Carlos. So, even when Harry was pissed off with him he still thinks of Carlos as a friend and did not like to humiliate him. He did it because Thomas was in serious danger.

No, I don't think he liked humiliating him, but Carlos didn't treat him like a friend, did he?  Putting the tracking spot on him, then allowing him to be "patted down" to see if he had sex lately, and then demanding who with?  Carlos tells Harry to talk to him, like we're friends, but he doesn't treat him
at all like a friend.  So yes, Harry did it because it was the only way to spring Thomas is true. However at the same time I cannot fault Harry for wanting a little mild pay back.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2021, 09:42:25 PM »
I completely agree but I don't think we saw that in the book. Harry was angry, we saw that. But in the particular moment before the spell, We don't see him thinking "payback, bitch" but feeling guilty for what he was going to do.

Missing you, Md 

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2021, 12:35:51 AM »
A bit of potentially disproportionate revenge for the the tracking dot.
Does make one wonder why Harry didn't hurt some Faery. He's the Winter Knight, he can do that. It's mean, sure, but it's "only" a faery, not a friend.
Because they wouldn't let him get close enough for the tapping and they would absolutely get revenge.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2021, 05:14:12 AM »
I completely agree but I don't think we saw that in the book. Harry was angry, we saw that. But in the particular moment before the spell, We don't see him thinking "payback, bitch" but feeling guilty for what he was going to do.

Yes, but he did it, and I don't think he would have if Carlos hadn't done that to him.  Remember this is Harry retelling the story, in other words looking back.  At this moment we don't know, but if Carlos redeems himself in Harry's eyes in the future, I can see Harry looking back at that moment with some shame, and writing it that way.  There were other Wardens present he could have done that to, but he chose Carlos, his friend who had betrayed their friendship.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2021, 09:12:58 AM »
People can feel conflicting emotions and it is difficult to accept a friend has betrayed you, the feelings of friendship are still there. Payback can reduce the anger so other emotions become more prominent. Doubt, guilt, sadness, loss.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2021, 09:28:27 AM »
Ok, ok, you both are probably right in that.
Missing you, Md