Author Topic: Lara Raith killed Malcolm Dresden  (Read 12449 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Lara Raith killed Malcolm Dresden
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2021, 04:26:30 AM »
A dead by Lara would not have the same medical symptoms. We see in white night that it has no symptoms at all, the body seems perfectly healthy except dead.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2021, 04:28:23 AM »
just because there was true love between Malcom and Margret  does not mean he was still protected. there had been 6 year period since Margret died.  all that needed to happen was for Malcom to meet some one and be intimate with the person and his true love protection was over. As young as Dresden was and Dresden dad being a good dad Dresden would have no idea that his dad had a new girl friend especially if Malcom was killed immediately after this happened.
I am who I am that's all that I am from my head to my toe that's all that I am.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2021, 11:42:36 PM »
just because there was true love between Malcom and Margret  does not mean he was still protected. there had been 6 year period since Margret died.  all that needed to happen was for Malcom to meet some one and be intimate with the person and his true love protection was over. As young as Dresden was and Dresden dad being a good dad Dresden would have no idea that his dad had a new girl friend especially if Malcom was killed immediately after this happened.

But that doesn't contradict Snark Night's first point.  Lara isn't a ghost and can't make herself invisible or guarantee that her victim would remain silent or that his clothing or bedding would remain un-disheveled.  There would be or have been sounds, signs and possibly even smells if Lara had been in the room doing her vampity tricks with Malcolm and even taking time to clean things up would have been risky for her. 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2021, 04:31:50 AM »
Indeed, but if an aneurysm was listed as a cause of death, who is to say that isn't what causes the ultimate death of a WCV victim?
The books. Don't remember where, but it is said that it's usually heart failure. An aneurysm is similar in that both can be set off by similar activities and emotional stresses, so I wouldn't be surprised if aneurysms were what happened most often when it wasn't heart failure.

We need to ask Butters, he must of autopsied a WCV victim a time or two in his career..
He did examine several in WN. One of which didn't have obvious signs of suicide.

Justin is a likely culprit. He is the only one with a strong motivation to kill the father and not the son and to make sure he can easily take Harry later as an orphan and make Harry thank him for it.
Lea has a motive as this leads to Harry being greatly in her debt.

It probably wasn't Justin, or, if it was, he wasn't acting on his own because where's the dramatic pay off in that? It's going to be a character Harry can confront.

The only group who we know has reached in to the juvenile system is the BC, who do it to Molly in Proven Guilty.
Black Council or Black Court? I read it as Black Court at first and would strongly object to the use of know in that instance.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2021, 04:41:40 AM »
No, the Black Council. 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2021, 04:45:16 AM »
I still wouldn't say know because I think we know very little beyond the obvious from PG, but Black Council is more likely than most. Sandra Marlin was definitely up to no good and working for/affiliated with someone.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2021, 05:08:23 AM »
The books. Don't remember where, but it is said that it's usually heart failure. An aneurysm is similar in that both can be set off by similar activities and emotional stresses, so I wouldn't be surprised if aneurysms were what happened most often when it wasn't heart failure.
He did examine several in WN. One of which didn't have obvious signs of suicide.
Lea has a motive as this leads to Harry being greatly in her debt.
Lea does not even have the means. She had to protect Harry and killing his father does not fit. She needed a deal with Harry to harm him and that does not fit either. Lea is just too far fetched. Certainly not yet crazy from dagger Lea. It is a level of direct interference in human affairs that needs a deal. With Malcolm.
It probably wasn't Justin, or, if it was, he wasn't acting on his own because where's the dramatic pay off in that? It's going to be a character Harry can confront.
He is the only one with the means and a clear motive. He who walks behind is the character Harry is going to confront.

Black Council or Black Court? I read it as Black Court at first and would strongly object to the use of know in that instance.
Context. It must be black council here.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2021, 05:50:14 AM »

3. Whoever was in cahoots with Justin, and dissappeared Harry into the system.

Number 3 is the most likely and that I think is the Merlin, recent WOJ indicates that the Merlin has been trying to manipulate Harry for years. Justin was a trusted senior Warden, exactly the person the Merlin would go to if he didn’t trust Lucio or Morgan in respect of Harry. It would be apt that the Merlin is guilty of a deliberate premeditated breach of the first law in killing Malcom Dresden having hounded Harry for a breach in self defence. The Merlin strikes me as a hypocrite of the first order.

It is only a violation if the Merlin used magic - what if he recruited/hired a Whamp to do Malcolm? Malcolm could have a smile on his face... but blood from his ear in an aneurysm. Seen the bleeding happen myself.  Maybe vamp saliva spikes the blood pressure higher and higher... until something pops....

Not Lara, though. Too high connections. Someone lower in the hierarchy - why use a princess when a commoner can do the job... and is more easily vanished later if need be? That Whamp may have been playing a power game trying to gain prestige from playing the White Court... until she was played.   

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2021, 04:17:46 PM »
She had to protect Harry and killing his father does not fit.
I've seen plenty of people say that Lea would think it was in Harry's best interest to have his father killed. See what Lily says about Lea being Harry's godmother and what she taught him in CD.

She needed a deal with Harry to harm him and that does not fit either. Lea is just too far fetched.
She's not a faerie queen.

He who walks behind is the character Harry is going to confront.
I don't see the big pay off with the revelation that an unspeakable evil is evil. It makes sense from a Watsonian perspective, but not from a Doylist.

Context. It must be black council here.
When I read it, I immediately recalled the theory that Sandra Marlin was Mavra.

why use a princess when a commoner can do the job   
Because it's a character Harry knows. Makes him feel betrayed.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2021, 04:42:49 PM »
I've seen plenty of people say that Lea would think it was in Harry's best interest to have his father killed. See what Lily says about Lea being Harry's godmother and what she taught him in CD.
She's not a faerie queen.
But similar rules seem to apply in grave peril when Lea showed she had the power to heal him it was scary. It was because of their deal.

A deal can give the Sidhe power over you they normally do not have
(click to show/hide)
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2021, 04:53:40 PM »
But similar rules seem to apply in grave peril when Lea showed she had the power to heal him it was scary. It was because of their deal.
There was a lot of stuff like that in the early books, but by SmF we have hobs killing carrying off random people at a train station. I've always said there's a lot of early installment weirdness in the first three books. I think Sidhe not being able to harm people is an example of that.

In the Curses short story, it's implied or stated that the Queens don't like their Sidhe killing mortals because the Queens can't, so the Sidhe are hesitant to just go a murdering. The Twyleth Teg have no such limitations.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2021, 06:25:33 PM »
There was a lot of stuff like that in the early books, but by SmF we have hobs killing carrying off random people at a train station. I've always said there's a lot of early installment weirdness in the first three books. I think Sidhe not being able to harm people is an example of that.

In the Curses short story, it's implied or stated that the Queens don't like their Sidhe killing mortals because the Queens can't, so the Sidhe are hesitant to just go a murdering. The Twyleth Teg have no such limitations.
Hobs are not Sidhe but I think it makes Lea a less likely candidate.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2021, 07:05:04 PM »
I have a hard time figuring out what the distinction is between Sidhe and not Sidhe.

I also think the early rule about Sidhe, or maybe it was just faeries, not being much of a threat in the mortal world was nerfed pretty hard as the series went on.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2021, 08:57:02 PM »
As young as Dresden was and Dresden dad being a good dad Dresden would have no idea that his dad had a new girl friend especially if Malcom was killed immediately after this happened.

It's more the being on the road all the time that makes a somewhat steady new girlfriend difficult. Him being a good dad is what argues against leaving his little kid alone in a motel room to go have one-night stands.

Sure, it's possible, just difficult.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2021, 02:56:48 AM »
Why are taking Cause of death as fact? Lara raith could have made the coroner write that aneurysm cause of death. Which would be the simplest explanation instead of debating you're all non medical opinions