Author Topic: New microfiction on the site  (Read 15958 times)

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: New microfiction on the site
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2020, 08:32:43 PM »
Granted, but there's this weird fandom desire to want to see the Librarians as helping Harry.

I mean, they might- but that would be because of their agenda, not because they recognize Harry's inherent good-guy-ness, or something of the sort.

This isn't Snow Crash, he's not Hirohito Protagonist.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 08:37:23 PM by BrainFireBob »

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2020, 07:07:10 AM »
You realize this is a happily-ever-after scenario? And those don't happen in Dresden?

I don't expect them to help much at all. They'll be taking the role Murphy had in the early novels as good guys that have to be worked around. The best Harry will get is some help with the after the fact consequences in exchange for information.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2020, 07:54:49 AM »
Granted, but there's this weird fandom desire to want to see the Librarians as helping Harry.

Well, I clearly don't share it. I am convinced they will be foes for Harry (even when probably trying to help humanity).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2020, 05:11:41 PM »
Well, I clearly don't share it. I am convinced they will be foes for Harry (even when probably trying to help humanity).

I don't think they will be foes exactly, but neither will they be allies.  By that I mean they are on the same side when push comes to shove,  but are so different that they will get in each other's way a lot.   Yes, a lot like Murphy in the first couple of books, but they will suffer from a "group" narrow mindedness about wizards, magic, and what is really going on.  In contrast, though she wasn't exactly trusting of Harry in the first couple of books, Murphy had already seen too much and had an  open mind as to what lurked out there.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2020, 05:16:02 PM »
I think they will fulfil Murphy’s original role. They will with the best intentions complicate everything.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2020, 09:55:02 PM »
I think they will fulfil Murphy’s original role. They will with the best intentions complicate everything.

Yup, they will get in the way...

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2021, 11:26:08 AM »
The Librarians will help Harry but to further their own ends. They will want the artifacts in his possession to be in their possession, they will want to control Demonreach and its inhabitants. They therefore will need to interact with Harry, both positively and negatively, but they will interact.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2021, 01:11:20 PM »
The Librarians will help Harry but to further their own ends. They will want the artifacts in his possession to be in their possession, they will want to control Demonreach and its inhabitants. They therefore will need to interact with Harry, both positively and negatively, but they will interact.

I don't think they will get too far with any of the above.  Alfred will see to that.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2021, 09:03:28 PM »
As Harry said, he doesn’t react well at attempts to control him, the Librarians may try, but they won’t succeed, but they will have to try.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2021, 09:19:10 PM »
Yes, you are probably right
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2021, 09:36:08 PM »
Yes, you are probably right

That was a lesson Murphy had to learn didn't she?  Once she did, it worked out.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2021, 11:20:16 PM »
That was a lesson Murphy had to learn didn't she?  Once she did, it worked out.

It's easier for an individual to learn that their preconceived notions and, or limited information they based their earlier decisions on were faulty or incomplete and then reevaluate the situation and people they are dealing with; and perhaps make better decisions and take more fair and appropriate actions in the future, than for someone working in a group or organization can do.  This is true whether the group is formally organized like a business, religious order, government organization or is simply a mob.

Group mentality tends to reinforce it's beliefs on the individuals within it and is more difficult for an individual working within it to break with.  I don't know how the Librarians will react to and interact with Harry, but they will probably be far more difficult to reason with than Murphy was.  Harry has already interacted with some "men in black" characters in one of the comic books or short story, so they probably already have a dossier on Harry and already consider him to be dangerous and to have made questionable allegiances and alliances.  So, similar to the White Council's opinion of Harry, but more exaggerated and less accurate at the same time.       
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2021, 03:58:29 AM »
On the microfiction: this kinda ties in really well with my thoughts on the Defenders of the Bean. Molly is expanding Harry's reputation tremendously here. Makes me wonder what kind of impact that's going to have later on, if any.
I too made that connection.

We don't know, when we arrive to the ending, we will see  :D
My first and immediate thought on reading this, even though I agree, was "oh, sweet summer child."

This isn't Snow Crash, he's not Hirohito Protagonist.
"Hiro Protagonist, a name you'll never forget." Haven't read it, but my brother often quotes it out of the blue.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2021, 06:34:22 AM »
My first and immediate thought on reading this, even though I agree, was "oh, sweet summer child."
Well, I know what you mean with that but I feel in the obligation to tell you that I am, in fact, a sweet summer child  :). I was born quite close to the solstice. Of course, it is Winter for you, Northener people, but that is not my problem. And I was a sweet child too :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2021, 04:27:36 PM »
Well, I know what you mean with that but I feel in the obligation to tell you that I am, in fact, a sweet summer child  :). I was born quite close to the solstice. Of course, it is Winter for you, Northener people, but that is not my problem. And I was a sweet child too :)
Being caller a Northerner, as someone who has spent the entirety of my life living south of I-10, reminds me of yet another GoT reference. When the Wildlings kept referring to "the North" as South.  :)