Author Topic: Something Occured to Me as to Why the Senior Council is so Afraid of Harry  (Read 31063 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Something Occured to Me as to Why the Senior Council is so Afraid of Harry
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2021, 04:12:00 PM »
It makes him fair game to eliminate as both Warden (so the post can be filled by a sycophant) and more importantly, he's not sporting the Eye but must have the Eye. It's an excuse to axe him and rifle his stuff to find it for the Council.

Power corrupts.
Marcone has the eye.  ;D
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2021, 04:48:33 PM »
Maybe. It's one of them, but Marcone's a vanilla mortal, not a practitioner, and therefore not a serious threat to rob.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2021, 05:18:37 PM »
Marcone has the eye.  ;D

what?  Do you mean people don't know who has it?  Because Harry has it
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2021, 06:22:36 PM »
what?  Do you mean people don't know who has it?  Because Harry has it

“I mean, I’m not sure where it is,” I said

A little smile played on the corners of Lara’s mouth. “The last I saw,” she said, “you were the one running off with the Eye, Baron.”

“He has given me no reason to disbelieve him, Baron,” Mab said.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2021, 06:49:50 PM »
You let out the best of it! The "prove it". :D

It makes him fair game to eliminate as both Warden (so the post can be filled by a sycophant) and more importantly, he's not sporting the Eye but must have the Eye. It's an excuse to axe him and rifle his stuff to find it for the Council.

Power corrupts.

Seriously, I don't think that is the case. They cannot move against the Warden "just because" (and it is very dangerous. Harry could release the worst things on them). And it is not easy to replace him with a sycophant. The sycophant would need to best Alfred. The Warden title was vacant for years, it is clear than the White Council was not eager to conquer it.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2021, 06:59:09 PM »

Seriously, I don't think that is the case. They cannot move against the Warden "just because" (and it is very dangerous. Harry could release the worst things on them). And it is not easy to replace him with a sycophant. The sycophant would need to best Alfred. The Warden title was vacant for years, it is clear than the White Council was not eager to conquer it.

Which begs the question.....  Where has the other Warden been?  I don't know if the Council is capable of doing anything.  Didn't Harry use Soulfire to make the connection?  I don't know if anyone on the Council can use Soulfire.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2021, 08:15:45 PM »
I tend to interpret “prove it” as an admission of guilt.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2021, 08:31:07 PM »
I just loved this particular "prove it" because a)it's the same that Marcone told Harry before. b) Harry loved to say it in Marcone's face.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2021, 08:39:17 PM »
I just loved this particular "prove it" because a)it's the same that Marcone told Harry before. b) Harry loved to say it in Marcone's face.
Yes it is something criminals say so it is apropriate to say it to a criminal.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2021, 07:12:16 PM »
Which begs the question.....  Where has the other Warden been?  I don't know if the Council is capable of doing anything.  Didn't Harry use Soulfire to make the connection?  I don't know if anyone on the Council can use Soulfire.

Unless until his death, Kemmler was still Warden of Demonreach.  Alfred cannot go out and recruit, and the White Council might blame being Warden of Demonreach on how Kemmler ultimately turned out.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2021, 07:24:00 PM »
Unless until his death, Kemmler was still Warden of Demonreach.  Alfred cannot go out and recruit, and the White Council might blame being Warden of Demonreach on how Kemmler ultimately turned out.

Wait Kemmler was Warden????  Is there a WOJ on this?  I never heard this before

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2021, 07:46:43 PM »
Yes, there is a WoJ, but I believe he said that Kemmler was the Warden before the Warden before Dresden. I may be wrong though. JB said that was one of the reasons why the Council is so wary of Dresden.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2021, 07:59:39 PM »
Yes, there is a WoJ, but I believe he said that Kemmler was the Warden before the Warden before Dresden. I may be wrong though. JB said that was one of the reasons why the Council is so wary of Dresden.
Probably because the other one was Harry’s mother ;D
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2021, 01:02:34 AM »
Or as in an old Peter Baker episode of DR Who, called "The Deadly Assassin," the Doctor, now President of the Council of Galafrey, has all the trouble makers kicked out of the city.  He does that
not just to protect them from an alien invaders capable of reading their minds, but because outside
the city they are able to fight against the invaders something they couldn't do with in.
I thought of that too. (Not the Dr. Who comparison, though). It's the only thing besides stupidity and incompetence that makes sense to me.

Power corrupts.
I still think that's dumber than declaring him a warlock and killing him. They didn't know he would have the eye until after BG but started the process of kicking him out before BG. Maybe they started the process to get leverage on Harry the Starborn, not to kick him out, but people panicked after BG, and whoever was trying to gain leverage on the Starborn lost control of the situation.

It was either one or two Wardens between Harry and Kemmler. I don't remember.

Wait Kemmler was Warden????  Is there a WOJ on this?  I never heard this before
Yeah. There's several new WoJ because he was doing a lot of publicity for BG. There were also a few microfictions like Christmas Eve. Here's a link to links to most of it. https://www.jim-butcher.com/posts/2020/farewell-to-2020

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile