Author Topic: WHat about Bob?  (Read 6552 times)

Offline MoroccoMole

• Participant
    • View Profile
WHat about Bob?
« on: December 07, 2020, 05:54:41 PM »
Bob spent a long time swirling around Eihniu during the binding, which could arguably be Harry's largest working yet.  One of Harry's power sources was the Spear of Longinus, an almost sentient holy relic.  I wonder, how Bob was effected by the power of the spear? an upgrade?  Or as a spirit of intellect is he immune to it's influence?
I like a man who grins when he fights.

~Winston Churchill On Enthusiasm~

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: WHat about Bob?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 07:36:24 PM »
Bob spent a long time swirling around Eihniu during the binding, which could arguably be Harry's largest working yet.  One of Harry's power sources was the Spear of Longinus, an almost sentient holy relic.  I wonder, how Bob was effected by the power of the spear? an upgrade?  Or as a spirit of intellect is he immune to it's influence?

Bob never "held" the Spear, ergo I doubt that he was affected by it at all.  The only "holder" of the Spear is Harry.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 08:16:48 PM »
I don't think Bob will have been much changed by anything if he's back in Harry's possession.

There is one thing that might be a big change. Butters introduced him to the internet and the principles of modern communication. We saw in BG that he can monitor radio communications to some degree. (I need to read it at least one more time before I can remember details like I can for the books that have been out a while). The implications of this are going to be interesting if Harry has continued possession of Bob, Jim bothers to think about it, and incorporates it into the books. Jim has waffled on whether or not Harry now has Bob or Bob is going back to Butters.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 06:30:57 PM »
Bob exists literally as a talking head to provide exposition, these days if we need to know something we look it up on the internet on our mobile phones.

Bob can fulfil that role now for Harry. Harry has a Smartbone.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 03:52:38 AM »
Bob once said that there were some things of a spiritual nature that he couldn't go near.  He said he would be crossing lines he shouldn't or couldn't cross.  It's one of the early novels.  (I just remembered.  Harry wanted Bob to find the Shroud of Turin.)  So, I don't think the spear had any impact on Bob at all.  His physical proximity to the spear did not mean he was interacting with it in any way. 

Bob might have learned something about Ethniu and how her power works that he didn't know before.  So, it's possible that in some future novel Harry could decide to unleash Ethniu on a more dangerous enemy and Bob might provide Harry with some advice on how best to control her.  I'm not predicting that will happen, but it's one way Bob being around Ethniu could be significant.   
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 07:45:02 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline deadvoid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 10:46:24 PM »
Bob once said that there were some things of a spiritual nature that he couldn't go near.  He said he would be crossing lines he shouldn't or couldn't cross.  It's one of the early novels.  (I just remembered.  Harry wanted Bob to find the Shroud of Turin.)  So, I don't think the spear had any impact on Bob at all.  His physical proximity to the spear did not mean he was interacting with it in any way. 

Bob might have learned something about Ethniu and how her power works that he didn't know before.  So, it's possible that in some future novel Harry could decide to unleash Ethniu on a more dangerous enemy and Bob might provide Harry with some advice on how best to control her.  I'm not predicting that will happen, but it's one way Bob being around Ethniu could be significant.   
I haven't see anyone mentioning this possibiity: Harry can take Titanic bronze

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 01:08:38 AM »
I haven't see anyone mentioning this possibiity: Harry can take Titanic bronze
Why would Bob watching Ethniu get sealed lead to Harry knowing that?
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline deadvoid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 02:05:26 AM »
Bob was the circle that binded Ethniu, he might've gathered information about her physics.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 02:17:48 AM »
Titanic bronze really isn't all that when you think about it. It's based on willpower. If you don't have a huge amount of willpower to manifest as physical durability then it's basically less than bronze. It might mean harry doesn't need to use active magic, but he'd still have to throw his might into the armor to tank stuff... And it wear him down fast.

Offline deadvoid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 03:16:33 AM »
It might take a Titan's willpower (or as Harry put it, denial power) for whole body armor, but if it can be broken down to smaller parts, then it could be manageable. Besides, we don't know enough about starborn.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 04:43:53 AM »
It might take a Titan's willpower (or as Harry put it, denial power) for whole body armor, but if it can be broken down to smaller parts, then it could be manageable. Besides, we don't know enough about starborn.
don't know enough...? Well, it doesn't automatically give you godly willpower by itself so we know enough for that.

Offline deadvoid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 05:20:10 AM »
What we do know about starborns, which isn't in great details, is that they're anomaly once every 666 years that can defy Outsiders.

So yes, we literally don't know enough
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 05:21:46 AM by deadvoid »

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 08:27:58 PM »
What we do know about starborns, which isn't in great details, is that they're anomaly once every 666 years that can defy Outsiders.

So yes, we literally don't know enough
we know they don't have godly willpower, nuff known for that topic.

Offline deadvoid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 09:33:46 PM »
No, we don't know if that's necessary for starborns to defy gods or anyone else, that's why they're anomalies

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 10:20:31 PM »
No, we don't know if that's necessary for starborns to defy gods or anyone else, that's why they're anomalies
irrelevant. We know godly willpower is necessary for titanic bronze. We also know they don't simply possess godly willpower. Don't confuse what we don't know with what is already presented.