Author Topic: Zoo day  (Read 6556 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Zoo day
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2020, 02:52:12 PM »
Pivotal, yes. Essential, not necessarily. And Ethniu was heavily worn down. If Dresden wasn't there it's not like the Accorded Nations wouldn't have had a plan to defeat her. I guarantee if Ethniu hadn't been worn down Maggie and the spear would not have been enough.

That is why Harry admitted he was only the clean up batter after Odin, the Holy Knights, Lara, Mab, etc wore her down.  Even in her weakened state though, Ethniu was still formidable and almost won, would have won had not Molly anticipated the attack on her family and little Maggie, moved them as in The Lord of the Rings, but kept Mouse out of her illusion that they were still at the Carpenter home, knowing that Harry would know that the Turtlenecks would only get to Maggie over Mouse's dead body.  Even with that, it was still a close thing.. However the reason Maggie and Mouse were more effective than  calling up a vision of Thomas or even Murphy, is unconditional love.  That is the bond between them and Harry, even though Thomas and Murphy love Harry, there are conditions or judgements attached to it.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2020, 01:56:19 AM »
Somewhat off topic, but related.  I just checked out the official Dresden Files timeline and saw something interesting.  Death Masks; when Maggie was conceived, took place in late February, about 3 years after Storm Front.  Storm Front took place in March.  That means Maggie was (most likely) born in late November, approximately 3 years and eight months after Storm From.  Peace Talks and Battle Ground take place in July, approximately 14 years and several months after Storm Front.  Maggie is coming up on her tenth birthday, about the time when she should start to show noticeable magical abilities. 

Seeing as the next book will take place during the twelve months following Battle Ground, I think Maggie's magical ability will manifest and be noticed by Harry; and at least one other, most likely Lea, near the end of those twelve months.  Near the end of the novel, I think Harry will be forced to make some hard choices regarding Maggie's future education, both regular and magical.   
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 02:25:51 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2020, 02:36:58 AM »
I can't wait for Harry's reaction when she gets her Hogwarts letter.

Offline CrusherJen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2020, 04:41:26 AM »
Maggie is coming up on her tenth birthday, about the time when she should start to show noticeable magical abilities. 

Yup. How else could you think Harry caught conjouritis? Kids are always catching germs and bringing them home to their parents...  ;D

Edit to add: I think Maggie was a carrier, since her powers aren't active yet.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 04:45:16 AM by CrusherJen »
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."   --from Blood Rites

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2020, 05:05:30 AM »
I can't wait for Harry's reaction when she gets her Hogwarts letter.
^ this  ;D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2020, 12:28:11 AM »
Harry will probably make a (fake) Hogwarts letter for Maggie as a way to explain what she, at first, won't be able to understand.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2020, 05:19:50 PM »
Harry will probably make a (fake) Hogwarts letter for Maggie as a way to explain what she, at first, won't be able to understand.
Why shouldn't she understand? She is 10 years old.