Author Topic: New Dresden Files podcast interview.  (Read 23711 times)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
New Dresden Files podcast interview.
« on: December 05, 2020, 12:57:46 AM »
There's a whole lot of details in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGgyJNMA4q8

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 01:14:22 AM by TheCuriousFan »
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Re: New Dresden Files podcast interview.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 03:05:46 AM »
Thanks for posting.  I just listened to the Dragoncon interview with Jim which came out a couple of days ago.  I'd post a link but you can find it on YouTube if you like.  I didn't find it very interesting and IMO the interviewer talked too much.  This interview is much better.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 05:05:13 AM »
Just a few extra, but great write up!

- Eldest Gruff and the Leansidhe both are and are not similar. Both are advisors but it seems Lea is quite a bit more dangerous...Jim seemed to first say Gruff was nowhere near as important as Lea.
- Kincaid is still doing work for mortals.
- Most fae who were not at the Battle of Chicago were at the Outer Gates.
- Cat Sith may not have survived falling into Lake Michigan. But he may return.
- Cowl and Kumori and Black Council were very busy not being at the Battle of Chicago and being crushed by Ethniu. They specifically don't go out and fight in the open where possible.
- Lots of people may have died such as previous characters in the books.
- Mab was made to fight. Not necessarily Ethniu but it happened anyway. She survived even where other's wouldn't because Mab was prepared.
- Mab has many weapon statues like the Bean full of weapons.
- There is always an Eldest of each race of fairy. It's a mantle but also not.
- Democracy is a human fad to Mab.
- Who runs the Gates is less about which pantheon had the most/enough Faith from mortals and more about who was currently in the right place/right time.
- Librarians will probably show up at the end of the next book "Twelve Months"
- Forty or Fifty thousand starborn IN THE CURRENT CYCLE. Last 40 years got whittled down. Note* I assume Jim is telegraphing how many are born at once.
- You don't have to be mortal to be starborn. You just have to be in the right place. To be "unlucky".
- Drakul was likely immortal like Vadderung.
- Zeus created a body for Athena so that her as a Spirit of Intellect could be a god.
- Justine in Cold Days got to the Island (Demonreach) without even Demonreach knowing. Nemesis cannot be detected unless you already know it is there.
- Nemesis knows the mortal world better than any other Outsider. But not necessarily to the point where it actually understands them. Jim compares it to reading a large block of highly complex code. You might be able to read it but not know all of it.
- Nemesis can be anywhere but it can't always replicate human reactions and things. It is imperfect by definition. It must be fought with logic and intuition.
- Nemesis has a hard limit on how many it can possess/infect (which confirms my theory).

I'll comment on a few things now.

1. Ethniu isn't related to the Black Council. This implies to me that while their goals might be linked, they are not aware of it because they themselves are both being manipulated by something like Nemesis.

2. If there is 40-50k worth of Starborn created in any one moment event per cycle, it doesn't seem that special. And Jim's says it's very unlucky. The cost to resist the Outsiders must be high. I'd hazard groups like the Librarians, the White Council, and individuals like Drakul are going around capturing or killing such beings for whatever reasons. Also, this opens up a lot of "who is a starborn" questions and not just from this Cycle. Some of which might not be human!

3. Vadderung is seriously badass. And maybe not all that good. Jim's hinted that Vadderung might be a bit sinister quite a bit, literary device wise. Ferrovax is bad too and seriously hates Vadderung.

4. Vlad Tepesh would have been an ideal candidate for Winter Knight (in MW's eyes) if he hadn't been busy doing other things.

5. Jim has almost certainly combined Drakul and Dracula a bit now, whereas in the early series they were far more distinct. Curious to examine what other identities they have had...perhaps even Gods or Demons. Vampire origins can be traced back to the ancient world (ancient Egypt, South America, parts of Western Asia). Maybe Apophis/Apep and Set? Set and Anubis? Varney? Abhartac?

6. It seems the power and accompanying responsibility that Monarchs have could also connected to how only certain people can be Knights of the Cross. My guess is a combination of human belief and perhaps God-given right to rule power makes Monarchs almost Saint-Level powers.

7. The diamond number is wrong. Jim needs the number to be about 2 million so Harry isn't too rich. Let's all pretend Harry's diamonds are actually poor quality or something or he lost a few.

8. The Wizards looking down on magic foci doesn't add up. LtW uses a medicine bag and Langtry had a wand as well as a staff.

9. H&M are body guards and occasional agents but that doesn't match the lore. They were his spies in the world and if you were going to have body guards Odin's wolves Geri and Freki would have been better choices.

10. If Einherjar are revenants made with soulfire, that almost certainly rules out the Black Court Vampires. It does however point to the white court. However, in Jim's previous indication we have seen the combination of necromancy and soulfire - I suspect he was referring exclusively to the Einherjaren. 

11. How many is Nemesis limited to? Not 13 as magic is a Creation thing and Outsiders don't play by those rules. 3? 300? Any other number seem relevant? Who else is Nemesis in right now?

Thanks for posting.  I just listened to the Dragoncon interview with Jim which came out a couple of days ago.  I'd post a link but you can find it on YouTube if you like.  I didn't find it very interesting and IMO the interviewer talked too much.  This interview is much better.
Agreed. Not much new stuff in that one.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 05:17:21 AM »
The hounds were 13 IIRC, so 13 seems like a good number for Nemesis. A number that can be easy to manage in plot terms.

This is a load of information, I need time to process it. Thank you for posting it, TCF!!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 05:19:46 AM »
3. Vadderung is seriously badass. And maybe not all that good. Jim's hinted that Vadderung might be a bit sinister quite a bit, literary device wise. Ferrovax is bad too and seriously hates Vadderung.
I mean permanently sticking your neck out to help humans at least partially qualifies you as good, he's just real easy to turn into an antagonist if needed (even without the toe stomping in the darkhallow version of things). Though I do like it absolutely confirming my "Vadderung was lying his ass off in the office to move Harry into place" theory.
7. The diamond number is wrong. Jim needs the number to be about 2 million so Harry isn't too rich. Let's all pretend Harry's diamonds are actually poor quality or something or he lost a few.
Yep, they would need to be shitty quality diamonds sold only to random pawn shops in Chicago to convert twenty pounds of diamonds into two million dollars.
8. The Wizards looking down on magic foci doesn't add up. LtW uses a medicine bag and Langtry had a wand as well as a staff.
Also Ebenezar has his coat and the ring at an absolute minimum.
10. If Einherjar are revenants made with soulfire, that almost certainly rules out the Black Court Vampires. It does however point to the white court. However, in Jim's previous indication we have seen the combination of necromancy and soulfire - I suspect he was referring exclusively to the Einherjaren.
And now I wish I could look back on the Barnes and Noble one's wording rather than the quick notes.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 07:21:02 AM »
11. Outsiders totally play by those rules. Harry demanding the names of walkers thrice, thirteen corner hounds..

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 08:03:36 AM »
So who was Bob's parents?

My bet is one of them's Mab.

The Fae's sponsor is Hekate.

Vadderung having Soulfire is awesome.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 12:50:27 PM »
Ok so thoughts...
-only one Uriel makes him giving Michael his grace a huge deal imo. If there's only one of him then he was confined to a very small series of timelines for awhile there.

-interesting he put Zeus near the same level of existence as Uriel there.

- if royalty ties into the swords, then perhaps that's part of why Michael seems to have a touch of sainthood going on magically speaking. Besides some of his combat actions like I'm GP the scene where he slammed the door when Molly and Charity were arguing stands out. Almost like he had authority there in his house.

- Bonnie in Harry's body? That gives frightening implications to me about how things become inhuman beings while looking human..

- the Drakul bits.. make me wonder if they weren't frankenstein and his monster?  Drakul made him to have a few servants and he went and made a Court to try to impress him. Also makes me wonder if this hints at Kincaid's origins. Another creation of Drakul?

- Chandler seems more and more likely to be the british guy. What if he went back in time with that void out and was eventually snatched up for being outside of his time?
- Harry can make a body with soul fire?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 01:22:22 PM »
Ok so thoughts...
-only one Uriel makes him giving Michael his grace a huge deal imo. If there's only one of him then he was confined to a very small series of timelines for awhile there.

- if royalty ties into the swords, then perhaps that's part of why Michael seems to have a touch of sainthood going on magically speaking. Besides some of his combat actions like I'm GP the scene where he slammed the door when Molly and Charity were arguing stands out. Almost like he had authority there in his house.

- Bonnie in Harry's body? That gives frightening implications to me about how things become inhuman beings while looking human..
Not too different from corpstaker in Harry’s body. Bodies are kind of real estate in this world.
- the Drakul bits.. make me wonder if they weren't frankenstein and his monster?  Drakul made him to have a few servants and he went and made a Court to try to impress him. Also makes me wonder if this hints at Kincaid's origins. Another creation of Drakul?

- Chandler seems more and more likely to be the british guy. What if he went back in time with that void out and was eventually snatched up for being outside of his time?
Not if he can not make it in the first place but he can probably make it more real.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 07:02:55 PM »
- Justine in Cold Days got to the Island (Demonreach) without even Demonreach knowing. Nemesis cannot be detected unless you already know it is there.
I hope this is misreported. This effectively would mean that the Gatekeeper is useless as well as self deluded, since his stated purpose is to do what Jim now says you can't do.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 11:40:04 PM »
I hope this is misreported. This effectively would mean that the Gatekeeper is useless as well as self deluded, since his stated purpose is to do what Jim now says you can't do.

Came from Jim himself. It was implied that the Sight can reveal it's presence but this current WOJ seems to contradict it. Why would mortal wizard Sight be able to see things Alfred or Uriel cannot apparently detect? Feels like Jim just added in the Justine is Nemesis thing in this story without thinking it through. We both feel similarly I believe about how well Jim knows his own series. Just another one of those moments I guess.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, the Gatekeeper still has good old logic and intuition to fall back on.

The hounds were 13 IIRC, so 13 seems like a good number for Nemesis. A number that can be easy to manage in plot terms.
Well that's true but I assumed that was more to do with the summoner rather than the being. It's just that this is at odds with what Jim says in the interview (as unreliable as that sometimes is) about how Nemesis doesn't play by the normal rules of magic being an Outsider. Also, Sharkface split itself into 20 beings at one point. Perhaps all of the Walkers can?

I mean permanently sticking your neck out to help humans at least partially qualifies you as good, he's just real easy to turn into an antagonist if needed (even without the toe stomping in the darkhallow version of things). Though I do like it absolutely confirming my "Vadderung was lying his ass off in the office to move Harry into place" theory.

Yep, they would need to be shitty quality diamonds sold only to random pawn shops in Chicago to convert twenty pounds of diamonds into two million dollars.

Also Ebenezar has his coat and the ring at an absolute minimum.

And now I wish I could look back on the Barnes and Noble one's wording rather than the quick notes.
1. I will have to look up that theory, but it sounds very intriguing! Changes that whole conversation...
2. Agreed.
3. Good pick up. I put it down to Jim forgetting what he wrote. He really should have a compendium of information. And not the wiki (full of errors and speculation, missing information).
4. I think it's in one of the write ups around that interview.

So who was Bob's parents?

My bet is one of them's Mab.

The Fae's sponsor is Hekate.

Vadderung having Soulfire is awesome.
Agreed. Still thinking Mab and someone...Merlin maybe? But almost certainly Mab and a human.
Yeah, all but confirms Hecate as the sponsor of the Fae.

Ok so thoughts...

1. I thought that to. Perhaps he only loaded the part of his Grace that was in Harry's universe at the time. Otherwise the risk seems excessive. Plus he would have been effectively blind (at his level). Creates a huge opportunity for Lucifer or other enemies. Jim also seemed a bit sketchy on this as well. At first he seemed to say that Uriel wasn't overarching, and then he back pedalled and said just one Uriel for the multiverse. If it's like Amber then Uriel could rather easily switch between universes without necessarily being an umbrella over all of them. Perhaps even he can only be in so many universes...many but not all. He isn't TWG after all. In saying that, Jim said Uriel has to deal with multiple alternate Harry's.

2. He hinted at this I think in Battle Ground. Angels, Archangels, Gods...look more different from the human perspective than what they really are. He still hasn't really said why those beings either backed off, are "asleep", or decided to become pro-wrestlers (of all things). It made me wonder if the Archangels were known by other names in other pantheons too. Ethniu's whole 'you traitor, lap dog, coward' thing to the Angel or Archangel protecting Butters.

3. Good point. And the crossing of Red Court vampire in GP and the cleansing of Imariel in Harry. I'd say there is a bigger link than merely the heaven connection.

4. Indeed! One wonders what else might be like that. And it leaves the possibility of what Bob or Evil Bob might do.

5. Hmmm not sure Drakul would settle for being a scientist and his son a sewn together freak. In saying that, I could see a sort of reimagining of the tale. I have long felt Drakul is an experimentor and scientist of sorts, all towards his various ends. Any other ideas of who he might have been?

6. Jim indicated even he doesn't yet know what has happened to Chandler as he hasn't decided that yet. I am still going for Arthur as the British Prisoner.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 12:24:22 AM »
no... Just means his eye doesn't rely on magic .

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 12:31:36 AM »
Besides, I don't think he was thinking on the Gatekeeper itself.

And about Chandler...is it too horrible for me not to believing JB?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 12:36:44 AM »
Besides, I don't think he was thinking on the Gatekeeper itself.

And about Chandler...is it too horrible for me not to believing JB?

As he likes to remind people, Jim is a professional liar, so no.

That being said Chandler is a pretty minor character, so I don't find it that farfetched that Jim doesn't have a concrete idea of what happened to him, rather then just vague ideas.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 12:42:57 AM »
It's just that the description of what happened (the black square) was so precise, I cannot imagine JB thinking that and not thinking what it means. Perhaps he is just trying to downplay what could be something important.

Instead, for some reason, I believe that he is not sure about Thomas. There are many options and I can see him not being sure what to choose yet. Personally, I hope he is back soon because I love Harry & Thomas together. And I need to see him taking care of his child soon because of the family drama annoys me. That also means I want Harry and Lara rescuing the child soon.
Missing you, Md