Author Topic: He's gonna do it.  (Read 3955 times)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
He's gonna do it.
« on: December 01, 2020, 08:25:24 AM »
On a quick glance through Peace Talks a realisation struck me.

Some of you right remember a certain gag from chapter one of Storm Front, I come to tell you that it's probably gonna happen once he's trained with River Shoulders.

TM: Harry practices a good amount of parkour in this novel, what kind of other special skills do you think you'd wanna throw at his way in the next couple of books?

Jim: Oh gosh, he should probably learn how to keep his mouth shut but I don't see that happening probably because that never really happened for me either. I got beat up a lot when I was a kid and I had the bad taste to be the smallest kid in class and and one of the smarter kids in class and I might not have been able to keep my mouth shut. Let's see, as far as learning other stuff goes, I wanna see him start to learn shapeshifting because that will be hilarious.

Tigermonkey q&a that has been deleted

That's right, Harry Dresden will soon assume his greatest role yet, the Lizard of Chicago.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: He's gonna do it.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 08:46:26 AM »
I mean you say that, but all evidence suggests that Lara will take a vow of Chastity before Harry actually takes someone up on an offer to show him how not to be a scrublord at Magic.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 08:48:34 AM »
I'm hoping he does... I wanna see a rehashing of the original Merlin vs Morgana duel. And Harry needs shape shifting to do that one..

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 08:50:38 AM »
I mean you say that, but all evidence suggests that Lara will take a vow of Chastity before Harry actually takes someone up on an offer to show him how not to be a scrublord at Magic.
I believe in his desire to one-up Marcone.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 12:35:37 PM »
Pretty much this.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 11:37:17 PM »
Yes, Harry is well aware of his limitations, but not of his potential, River Shoulders is a good teacher for Harry, because he will learn from Harry a lot of the human things he needs to be a proper father to his part human son. It’s very much a Michael/Harry relationship.

Aside from shapehifting, River can help him in other areas of his magic, such a negating or deflecting spells, which Harry is starting to use himself, and  improving his veils and illusions.

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 12:49:58 AM »
I believe in his desire to one-up Marcone.

Me too. He's due for some skill upgrades. I was hoping during his year on the Demonreach he'd do more than just get jacked.
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 03:18:56 AM »
But what shapes, and how many?

Wolf is obviously a lock, given how many times people called him a wolf of late, and his association with the Alphas.

But what else? Something that flies and something that swims, like Iron Druid?  Something that let's him spy like a good P.I.?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 03:21:18 AM »
But what shapes, and how many?

Wolf is obviously a lock, given how many times people called him a wolf of late, and his association with the Alphas.

But what else? Something that flies and something that swims, like Iron Druid?  Something that let's him spy like a good P.I.?
Lizard for easy spying, they can crawl under anything.

Horse to give Jim a chance to melt Harry's lungs.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 04:01:21 AM »
Lizard for easy spying, they can crawl under anything.

Horse to give Jim a chance to melt Harry's lungs.
I'd imagine they'd have to be animals he has a connection to, psychologically.  I can see a wolf, based on his associations. Or a hound dog, because of his profession and mindset.

I don't think he has a lot of associations with lizards or horses, puns aside.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 07:18:37 AM »
I'd imagine they'd have to be animals he has a connection to, psychologically.  I can see a wolf, based on his associations. Or a hound dog, because of his profession and mindset.

He's a knight and he really does like horses, which is more stuff than most non-canine transformation options have pointing towards them. But it was mostly a joke suggestion.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 08:25:44 AM »

Iirc WoJ has mentioned in the past that Harry is actually a big horse lover (Eb taught him to ride) but that it would never come up in the books.

Offline Hankthemoose

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 12:26:03 PM »

If Harry turns into any kind of canid, the only acceptable choice of teacher would be Aunty Lea. The alphas make sense, of course, but it would be fundamentally wrong for Harry to learn something in any fashion that's less than maximally humiliating.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 07:10:44 PM »
Iirc WoJ has mentioned in the past that Harry is actually a big horse lover (Eb taught him to ride) but that it would never come up in the books.
In the books, he says that he has ride more than most and I always felt that he loves them.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 11:57:11 PM »
If he gets a bird form I hope he get's flying lessons from Toot Toot or we get a short story of him going on patrol with the Za Lords Guard. I hope he's some form of Raven just so Hugin and Mugin can have some fun with him.
Kyle Lowry
Everything