Author Topic: Twelve months (speculation)  (Read 5850 times)

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
Twelve months (speculation)
« on: November 19, 2020, 06:25:01 PM »
All this talk on another thread about TM has got me thinking on how it may go down. As stated in the title, this is just speculation going off of what Jim has told us.

Because of what Jim has personally gone through and what he has put Harry through, he is going to write about Harry finally coming to terms and grieving about what has happened in his life. What I hope to see is basically a book of shorts with an overarching story through the hole book. Each short would be a day or weekend in a month, some just a chapter, some a few. In each we would see some advancement or regression in his progress. We would get to see the how the wedding planning would progress with Molly reluctantly doing it. With action in the book, Jim has already set that up by saying at the end of BG that beings are hunting for Harry and the eye. Plus, we need to have the hunt for Justine. I really hope that if the pregnancy is real, she gets caught before the baby is born. Doesn't sit right with me if she isn't. And, my fear is, by the end of the book we will have one more funeral, just to finally tell Harry he can't save every one, that some battles are not won. I think we will see LtW die of old age, before he gets to tell Harry about being a Starborn.

And then to just throw it in, the wedding is taking place and while Harry is getting ready, that is when he is pulled into the alt reality and starts the book MM.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Twelve months (speculation)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 09:08:26 PM »
I want to see harry be a father to his girls.  I also want harry to discover that litle Chicago did not get destroyed in the fire but because the sub basement it was in survived the fire. I want to see Maggie discover that she has some talent. I want bonny to meet bob her real father....we all know it was not Dresden that fooled around with lash because Dresden still had his true love protection after bonnie was conceived  ergo Bob is the father.
I am who I am that's all that I am from my head to my toe that's all that I am.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 09:19:22 PM »
Nah, it's not Bob that's the father. It's IDHarry

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 03:02:46 AM »
Just making a guess, but the main arc of a twelve month long story could be Harry trying to find Justine, and deciding what to do with her, if and when he finds her.  Plus, because of the recent WoJ that mortals can't be locked up indefinitely in Demonreach, the situation with Thomas will come to a head.  However, the emotional core of the story would be Harry working through his grief, finally learning to deal with his anger and other personal issues.  Near the end of the novel, perhaps we would see a new Harry start to emerge.  One who is a bit more emotionally mature and someone who is finally willing to start facing issues he's long avoided.   

Each chapter; or actually each month as one month could take up several chapters, could have Harry dealing with different problems.  One month could involve something as simple as a series of public appearances by the Winter Knight in the company of Lara Raith and the fallout that generates.  In old romantic and screwball comedies of the 1930's and 40's, often a rich socialite character would have her name in the society or gossip section of a newspaper saying she was dating or engaged to someone and there would often be scenes in a nightclub or on an ocean liner.  I'm not sure how this would work in the Chicago supernatural world, but I could see Harry with Lara at some kind of public function, maybe at Arctis Tor, maybe at Club Zero, with a bunch of members of different supernatural nations invited for some special occasion, just to make a public show that Winter and the White Court are now allies.  Then Harry would hear from Ebenezer or someone else from the Council, plus who knows how his friends will react.  An alternative is that there are several such public appearances that occur throughout the novel leading up to an engagement party, at which point all hell will break loose.

My only other guess is at some point during the year Harry will go to visit River Shoulders and learn from him.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 04:41:53 AM »
Plus, because of the recent WoJ that mortals can't be locked up indefinitely in Demonreach, the situation with Thomas will come to a head. 

Eventually, I agree. But "not indefinitely" probably isn't going to be so short as sometime in the next year. The whole narrative point of killing off Karrin and putting Thomas on ice is to remove probably the two people closest to Harry in effectively a single blow to him.

As much as the prison can't hold a free-willed being forever, the problems Harry is going to have to solve before pulling him out are not small. They need to figure a way for him to not die as soon as he's brought back up. Harry won't be down with bringing one or more victims out to the island for him to kill, and he might be too deep in self-loathing after the trauma of the binding process to feed anyway. Even Lara's method of transferring energy to him seemed more like buying time than something that could be extended to an actual cure. And then they need the svartalves mollified enough not to go for his head instantly anyway.

Not beyond solving, but I doubt they'll be fast.

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 10:38:14 AM »
Could someone post or quote this recent WOJ?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 11:23:07 AM »
Priscellie: Are there any being Demonreach is incapable of holding?

Jim: Demonreach is incapable of holding, at least forever, any being with free will. So Demonreach can't keep Thomas there forever.

Priscellie: Oooh. Does the Brit have free will?

Jim: That is the question then, isn't it? That is a fair question.
https://www.crowdcast.io/e/jim-butcher
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 02:34:55 PM »
Something that I just thought of that would go along with my original post. All these moments that we will see Harry healing or regressing, I hope that they are moments that tie into past memories. Like a moment if Molly asking Harry and Lara questions will bring on a memory of Will and Georgia's wedding. A call from the Archane about his resurrection will bring on a memory of Susan and their first interview. Things like that that tie it together

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 03:51:21 PM »
Something that I just thought of that would go along with my original post. All these moments that we will see Harry healing or regressing, I hope that they are moments that tie into past memories. Like a moment if Molly asking Harry and Lara questions will bring on a memory of Will and Georgia's wedding. A call from the Archane about his resurrection will bring on a memory of Susan and their first interview. Things like that that tie it together

Yeah, I can see it all ending in a huge crescendo of kitchen sink emotions/questions that Harry has suppressed  over the years from who or what killed his parents to Murphy's death and why he was kicked out of the White Council. It is going to get ugly, but if he can get through to the other side, he might learn something.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 04:02:44 PM »
Just making a guess, but the main arc of a twelve month long story could be Harry trying to find Justine, and deciding what to do with her, if and when he finds her.  Plus, because of the recent WoJ that mortals can't be locked up indefinitely in Demonreach, the situation with Thomas will come to a head.  However, the emotional core of the story would be Harry working through his grief, finally learning to deal with his anger and other personal issues.  Near the end of the novel, perhaps we would see a new Harry start to emerge.  One who is a bit more emotionally mature and someone who is finally willing to start facing issues he's long avoided.   

I agree and crosses fingers for that being the case
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 08:15:59 PM »
Typical WOJ, vague to the point of uselessness, other than to stir up fandom. Less than forever leaves a lot of space.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 02:11:58 PM »
Typical WOJ, vague to the point of uselessness, other than to stir up fandom. Less than forever leaves a lot of space.

He doesn't like to paint himself into a corner, because he knows his fans have minds like steel traps and memories like elephants.. So best to be vague..

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 06:04:14 PM »
And archives  :)
Yes, I agree, Mira. Besides, what would be the fun if he told us everything?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 01:41:01 AM »
TBH I often have feeling he is WOJ-ing lot of stuff, that really would be better in books as signs Harry is getting better grasp of supernatural world.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 02:51:11 AM »

I like this idea and would like to add something else.  Aside from Harry's personal issues there have been; I'm not certain what the literary term is, if there is one, for ideas and mysteries which not only haven't been explained, they haven't been addressed in any way at all.  I'd like to see at least some clues which may point the way to their eventual resolution.  "Who fixed Little Chicago?" is the mystery most fans think about first, but I doubt that it's really very important in the grand scheme of things.  I suspect the final solution to that mystery will be more fun than important.  A more interesting and perhaps significant mystery is what was really going on between Mab and Titania during the events of Small Favor?

Harry and the readers know something was going on, but no idea what that something was.  The reason it may be important is that novel is when Harry first set foot on Demonreach Island, though he didn't name it at the time.  Would Harry have ever set foot on that island if Nicodemus and company hadn't taken the Archive and Marcone there?  What got me thinking about this was the short scene between Mab and Titania in Battle Ground, where Mab said something about doing one's duty, to which Titania replied, "When have I not done so?"  (I can't find her exact words at the moment.)  This got me thinking that just because Summer and Winter appear to be opposites, there are times when they aren't necessarily working against each other, even when they appear to be doing exactly that.  Maybe the whole point of Marcone's kidnapping was to introduce Harry to the Island.  Yes, I know Nicodemus chose that island, or maybe he didn't.  Maybe; like in Skin Game, Nic was manipulated into making a choice that he thought was his own but was set up for him.  Anyway, it's about time we start to get some clues to the deeper game Mab and Titania have been playing.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 02:55:13 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx