Author Topic: Marcone's Power Base  (Read 4643 times)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Marcone's Power Base
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 03:16:12 AM »
We know he was a cop working on Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras, where he arrested Murphy's sister, and ended up dating her. He then transferred to Chicago and became a Feeb, and was brought in by the detective on the Splattercon!!! deaths.
He put in for a transfer. You don't transfer from a local agency to a federal agency. Transfers are from one FBI office to another. https://www.fbijobs.gov/sites/default/files/transfer-process.pdf

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 05:36:26 PM »
He put in for a transfer. You don't transfer from a local agency to a federal agency. Transfers are from one FBI office to another. https://www.fbijobs.gov/sites/default/files/transfer-process.pdf
I don't know. It says in Blood Rights that "he was working in New Orleans.” and “He is. Lisa went down for Mardi Gras. Apparently he had to arrest her.”

And the (imperfect) wiki also has him listed as being a cop in New Orleans and a Feeb in Chicago.  My guess is that he was a Chicago cop, moved to New Orleans as a cop, moved back to Chicago to be with Lisa Murphy, and either became a Feeb there, or was in the process of applying and got accepted in the move to Chicago.

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2020, 11:03:01 PM »
I don't know. It says in Blood Rights that "he was working in New Orleans.” and “He is. Lisa went down for Mardi Gras. Apparently he had to arrest her.”

And the (imperfect) wiki also has him listed as being a cop in New Orleans and a Feeb in Chicago.  My guess is that he was a Chicago cop, moved to New Orleans as a cop, moved back to Chicago to be with Lisa Murphy, and either became a Feeb there, or was in the process of applying and got accepted in the move to Chicago.

This may be tangentially related to the FBI agents but there is a WoJ that says Marcone and Hendricks were both Marines. The FBI trains Agents at Quantico and frequently have prior service in the forces before becoming Agents. The potential for people who knew Marcone pre-baron days serving in the FBI is totally there.
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 12:19:53 AM »
Yeah, I don't see how he would have to arrest her as an FBI agent. Maybe a minor federal offense? But that goes to my point that we don't know his work history because the information we have is muddled. We know he worked in law enforcement when he was married to Murphy, so almost certainly in Chicago. Then he worked in New Orleans, then Chicago as an FBI agent.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 05:33:29 PM »
Yeah, I don't see how he would have to arrest her as an FBI agent. Maybe a minor federal offense? But that goes to my point that we don't know his work history because the information we have is muddled. We know he worked in law enforcement when he was married to Murphy, so almost certainly in Chicago. Then he worked in New Orleans, then Chicago as an FBI agent.
I'm willing to accept that he was a cop in Chicago and then New Orleans, and came back as a cop and applied to join the FBI and got accepted.  The big question is just how much he might know about the supernatural world. If some, then the Feebs might put him on a secret group like SI. If none, then he's probably just a regular special agent.

This may be tangentially related to the FBI agents but there is a WoJ that says Marcone and Hendricks were both Marines. The FBI trains Agents at Quantico and frequently have prior service in the forces before becoming Agents. The potential for people who knew Marcone pre-baron days serving in the FBI is totally there.
I had started writing a fanfic ages ago about Marcone being exposed to the supernatural during his time in the military, but stopped when Butcher said he was going to be doing short stories from his perspective. (I prefer to write peripheral stories that won't be contradictory to canon)

I could see there being a section of the military that knows about the supernatural, and if Marcone crossed paths with them, they could have him on a list. Such connections could easily lead to contacts in different agencies, like you're describing.

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 09:58:38 PM »
I'm willing to accept that he was a cop in Chicago and then New Orleans, and came back as a cop and applied to join the FBI and got accepted.  The big question is just how much he might know about the supernatural world. If some, then the Feebs might put him on a secret group like SI. If none, then he's probably just a regular special agent.
So the timeline for Rich/Rick/Dick would be something like: Academy, Officer in Chicago, Marries and Divorces Murphy, Goes to New Orleans, Arrests and Marries Lisa, Gets into the FBI, Goes back to Chicago. He could have bumped into a victim of the Red Court or the La Chaise dynasty during his time in Louisiana.

I had started writing a fanfic ages ago about Marcone being exposed to the supernatural during his time in the military, but stopped when Butcher said he was going to be doing short stories from his perspective. (I prefer to write peripheral stories that won't be contradictory to canon)

I could see there being a section of the military that knows about the supernatural, and if Marcone crossed paths with them, they could have him on a list. Such connections could easily lead to contacts in different agencies, like you're describing.
Both the encounter with the supernatural and list ideas make sense, heck the list may be how the Librarians recruit their people MIB style.
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 11:15:00 PM »
So the timeline for Rich/Rick/Dick would be something like: Academy, Officer in Chicago, Marries and Divorces Murphy, Goes to New Orleans, Arrests and Marries Lisa, Gets into the FBI, Goes back to Chicago.
He gets into the FBI before marrying Murphy Spice, but something like that. He hadn't started working for the FBI in Chicago during the Murphy Family Picnic.

Rich has already put in for his transfer and had it approved. He'll be working for the FBI office here in Illinois.
Taken literally, this means that he was already working for the FBI, requested a transfer from his current assignment to Illinois, had it approved, and hadn't yet started in the Illinois office. (There's actually two Illinois FBI offices. I assume he transferred to Chicago because of PG).