Author Topic: [BG spoilers!!] Revisiting the short story "Monsters"  (Read 8389 times)

Online Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: [BG spoilers!!] Revisiting the short story "Monsters"
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2020, 05:55:22 PM »
I agree.

Back to the short story, I was intrigued for something. Grey speaks about Marcone bodyguard (not mentioned) as Eihenjaren and revenant. He even threats of passing through a valkyrie and eihenjaren. The story is said to take place "some time after SG" and I don't think is post-BG because the world and Chicago seem to normal, too masquerade-holding. So...was Hendricks an eihenjaren before BG?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2020, 08:15:41 PM »
I agree.

Back to the short story, I was intrigued for something. Grey speaks about Marcone bodyguard (not mentioned) as Eihenjaren and revenant. He even threats of passing through a valkyrie and eihenjaren. The story is said to take place "some time after SG" and I don't think is post-BG because the world and Chicago seem to normal, too masquerade-holding. So...was Hendricks an eihenjaren before BG?
If he was Gard wouldn't have been drinking so much after the battle.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Online Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2020, 08:22:02 PM »
I agree, but this is weird. Unless Hendricks was not here, but have we ever seen Marcone without Hendricks until the end of BG?

This is a post of the time of that story (by Snark Knight)

It was alright, but the lack of revealing any real backstory or lore held it back somewhat. Viti was interesting in a way - I wonder if she might have some superhuman heritage too, with that kind of shooting skill.

Was the line about Marcone's "big dumb Einherjar bodyguard" a hint that Hendricks died and signed on with Monoc to stay in the game / stay with Gard? Or has Hendricks been replaced by an Einherjar? If he was referring to Hendricks at all, it's vaguely amusing that Grey makes the same mistake of underestimating him that Harry does.

Quote from: Yuillegan on October 08, 2019, 10:30:34 PM
That's a shame. I thought the Goodman Grey one was out soon and this was it.
But this looks like Harry just being unreasonably difficult to work with while interacting with Marcone.

Grey's POV isn't really that Harry-like, actually. He's closer to Marcone in Even Hand, trying to bury everything under a just-business veneer, but with the same avenging streak toward child abusers.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 08:52:07 PM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 03:13:54 AM »
Oh, yeah, weird ... at the time I was wondering if he'd died off screen since Changes, but that ended up being kind of on the nose. Except, apparently, Einherjar can't come back while those who remember them are still alive (*BAT exceptions may apply).

Online Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 04:22:38 AM »
Yes, I understood that you meant that at the moment, but now...wtf? I was wondering if JB intended eihenjaren to be able to go back if contracted and then he changed his mind.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 08:00:10 AM »
There are few options:

a) it was Hendricks and Marcone used sorcery to wipe memory of him from all the world
b) it was Hendricks and he was either mistaken or foreshadowed by intellectus as Einhernjar
c) it was some random Einhenjar on Marcone's payroll because Gard and Hendricks were took a week off to rest on Sri Lanka

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2020, 08:02:10 AM »
Yes, I understood that you meant that at the moment, but now...wtf? I was wondering if JB intended eihenjaren to be able to go back if contracted and then he changed his mind.
Hendricks only died in BG. Loosing his old friend makes the coin more dangerous for Marcone. Jim is isolating him from his old roots.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Online Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2020, 04:47:33 PM »
WWW, I was thinjing something around a)! What if you could cheat with the memories?

If it is b, I want to know if Grey knew about Murph at PT.

c) is possible but very ooc
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2020, 04:59:32 PM »
Gard wouldn’t be that hurt if Hendricks had died earlier.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Online Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2020, 05:06:49 PM »
Perhaps she did not know that they could manage something. Wouldn't be interesting if somehow (wibbly-wobbly, magically-wimey stuff) Hendricks was back in 12M, but only Marcone, Gard and Harry (because he is Harry :P) remembered him from his previous life?

Seriously, this is something that should be asked in a Q&A-

Missing you, Md 

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2020, 02:52:54 AM »
Hendricks only died in BG. Loosing his old friend makes the coin more dangerous for Marcone. Jim is isolating him from his old roots.
We know he'll be around for a few more books at least, the Namshiel reveal was mentioned as something included early because Jim decided we'd been waiting long enough for some crumbs.
Perhaps she did not know that they could manage something. Wouldn't be interesting if somehow (wibbly-wobbly, magically-wimey stuff) Hendricks was back in 12M, but only Marcone, Gard and Harry (because he is Harry :P) remembered him from his previous life?

Seriously, this is something that should be asked in a Q&A-

There's a fair chance it won't get asked at all outside of an AMA, less people read the short stories, especially the ones that haven't been collected.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Online Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 04:22:57 AM »
I understand, I meant it should be asked in the future  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2020, 08:20:33 PM »
Bodyguard is both singular and plural, Hendricks is Marcone’s bodyguard, as are the small army of Einenjharen. In universe Grey has not met Hendricks, but would know about the Einejharen in general terms, which is I believe what is being referred to. Nothing complex or sinister.

Online Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2020, 08:24:54 PM »
But it is weird that Hendricks is not with Marcone, right?
Missing you, Md 

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 12:59:10 AM »
But it is weird that Hendricks is not with Marcone, right?

Even mob boss's bodyguards are not around them all the time.
Why become criminal if not for chance of big gains and occassional vacations to use them :P