Author Topic: Twelve months (speculation)  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Twelve months (speculation)
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 03:23:22 AM »
I agree about Mab and Titania, that is very important.
I also think that as soon as I have the time I will do a full reread of the series (I have not even finishing rereading BG yet, though).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 03:35:25 AM »
I like this idea and would like to add something else.  Aside from Harry's personal issues there have been; I'm not certain what the literary term is, if there is one, for ideas and mysteries which not only haven't been explained, they haven't been addressed in any way at all.  I'd like to see at least some clues which may point the way to their eventual resolution.  "Who fixed Little Chicago?" is the mystery most fans think about first, but I doubt that it's really very important in the grand scheme of things.  I suspect the final solution to that mystery will be more fun than important.  A more interesting and perhaps significant mystery is what was really going on between Mab and Titania during the events of Small Favor?

Harry and the readers know something was going on, but no idea what that something was.  The reason it may be important is that novel is when Harry first set foot on Demonreach Island, though he didn't name it at the time.  Would Harry have ever set foot on that island if Nicodemus and company hadn't taken the Archive and Marcone there?  What got me thinking about this was the short scene between Mab and Titania in Battle Ground, where Mab said something about doing one's duty, to which Titania replied, "When have I not done so?"  (I can't find her exact words at the moment.)  This got me thinking that just because Summer and Winter appear to be opposites, there are times when they aren't necessarily working against each other, even when they appear to be doing exactly that.  Maybe the whole point of Marcone's kidnapping was to introduce Harry to the Island.  Yes, I know Nicodemus chose that island, or maybe he didn't.  Maybe; like in Skin Game, Nic was manipulated into making a choice that he thought was his own but was set up for him.  Anyway, it's about time we start to get some clues to the deeper game Mab and Titania have been playing.
Along with other questions like what happened to the first overt response to the hellfire circle (soulfire was the subtle one) and where did Winter choose to send their guys in response to the Kelpies being called in (and how was EG not there if they knew enough to ambush Harry).
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 11:12:41 AM »
I like this idea and would like to add something else.  Aside from Harry's personal issues there have been; I'm not certain what the literary term is, if there is one, for ideas and mysteries which not only haven't been explained, they haven't been addressed in any way at all.  I'd like to see at least some clues which may point the way to their eventual resolution.  "Who fixed Little Chicago?" is the mystery most fans think about first, but I doubt that it's really very important in the grand scheme of things.  I suspect the final solution to that mystery will be more fun than important.  A more interesting and perhaps significant mystery is what was really going on between Mab and Titania during the events of Small Favor?

Harry and the readers know something was going on, but no idea what that something was.  The reason it may be important is that novel is when Harry first set foot on Demonreach Island, though he didn't name it at the time.  Would Harry have ever set foot on that island if Nicodemus and company hadn't taken the Archive and Marcone there?  What got me thinking about this was the short scene between Mab and Titania in Battle Ground, where Mab said something about doing one's duty, to which Titania replied, "When have I not done so?"  (I can't find her exact words at the moment.)  This got me thinking that just because Summer and Winter appear to be opposites, there are times when they aren't necessarily working against each other, even when they appear to be doing exactly that.  Maybe the whole point of Marcone's kidnapping was to introduce Harry to the Island.  Yes, I know Nicodemus chose that island, or maybe he didn't.  Maybe; like in Skin Game, Nic was manipulated into making a choice that he thought was his own but was set up for him.  Anyway, it's about time we start to get some clues to the deeper game Mab and Titania have been playing.
“The rain was a kind touch,” Mab said finally. “There were a number of fires it checked.” “You understand what has happened,” Titania replied quietly. “What it means.” “I expect you to do your duty,” Mab said. Titania’s expression flickered in pain. “When have I not?” Mab nodded. Titania matched the gesture. Then a warm southern wind blew a curtain of gentle rain around her and the Summer unicorn, and when it faded they were gone.

Butcher, Jim. Battle Ground (Dresden Files) (pp. 351-352). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Here is the quote you were looking for. I don't believe what happened in Small Favor is much of a mystery.  With the exception of who fixed LC, the mysteries of the books prior to Cold Days are mostly resolved.  If your interested in my thinking on this look under the spoiler.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 05:31:20 PM »

I cannot remember if it was Rashid or Mother Summer who explained to Harry about the Gates, their purpose, and who are guarding them at the moment.  What I remember is it is all about balance.  At the moment it is the Winter Court who mainly guards the Gates and battles would be intruders.  This makes them very strong and dangerous if Mab or Mother Winter abused that power.  Thus it is the Summer Court's duty to keep the Winter Court from going beyond their resume description for keeping the Gates safe.  So they may seem at odds, but in truth they are really not, as we saw in Battle Ground, they can and do cooperate against a common enemy.  That is why Aurora had to go, infected as she undoubtedly was, her aim to create an unbalance, triggering a war between the Courts and leaving the Gates vulnerable to the Enemy. 

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 06:38:03 PM »
I cannot remember if it was Rashid or Mother Summer who explained to Harry about the Gates, their purpose, and who are guarding them at the moment.  What I remember is it is all about balance.  At the moment it is the Winter Court who mainly guards the Gates and battles would be intruders.  This makes them very strong and dangerous if Mab or Mother Winter abused that power.  Thus it is the Summer Court's duty to keep the Winter Court from going beyond their resume description for keeping the Gates safe.  So they may seem at odds, but in truth they are really not, as we saw in Battle Ground, they can and do cooperate against a common enemy.  That is why Aurora had to go, infected as she undoubtedly was, her aim to create an unbalance, triggering a war between the Courts and leaving the Gates vulnerable to the Enemy. 
Yes, this.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 07:08:28 PM »
Along with other questions like what happened to the first overt response to the hellfire circle (soulfire was the subtle one)

I'd always sort of thought the second card Uriel played was helping Michael survive injuries that should have been fatal.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 08:11:26 PM »
I'd always sort of thought the second card Uriel played was helping Michael survive injuries that should have been fatal.
Since Michael received his wounds by exercising Free Will, why would Uriel intervene?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 09:16:21 PM »
That one presumably falls under the standard probability manipulation the knights get.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 10:31:51 PM »

Not Act of God, Act of Harry, Harry had seen himself being chosen by Gard abs noted the similar expression, his exercise of free will meant the difference between life and death for Michael.

In being supported by Uriel Harry is effectively the Champion of Free Will, he has survived prophecy, entropy curses, death curses, choosing all things set down to undermine, restrict or trammel Free Will. Uriel has no free will he can only act where the Adversary has acted. Harry has no such limitation.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 11:24:47 PM »
This got me thinking that just because Summer and Winter appear to be opposites, there are times when they aren't necessarily working against each other, even when they appear to be doing exactly that.
Kind of like how, when viewed in isolation, a wheel and a brake appear to be working at cross purposes but are actually working toward a greater purpose.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2020, 01:01:36 AM »
@Mira
I felt like I’d been hit repeatedly in the head with a rubber hammer. “So . . . Mab’s troops outnumber yours by a jillion.” “Indeed.” “So she could run you over at any time.” “She could,” Mother Summer said, “if she were willing to forfeit reality.” I scanned the length of the wall nervously. It looked like it went on forever—and there was fighting all along its length. “You’re telling me that this is why Mab has her power? To . . . to protect the borders?” “To protect all of you from the Outsiders, mortal.” “Then why does Titania have hers?” I asked. “To protect all of you from Mab.”

Butcher, Jim. Cold Days (The Dresden Files, Book 14) (p. 342). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Titania has twice skirted her duty. The first by not dealing with Aurora and second by choosing to champion Nicodemus.

In an engineering sense the balance of forces is what keeps buildings standing up and bridges from falling. When those forces are no longer in balance engineers have nightmares.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2020, 12:24:19 PM »
@MiraTitania has twice skirted her duty. The first by not dealing with Aurora and second by choosing to champion Nicodemus.

In an engineering sense the balance of forces is what keeps buildings standing up and bridges from falling. When those forces are no longer in balance engineers have nightmares.

Perhaps, but she is Summer, who tends to be more emotional,  it was her daughter we are talking about.  Actually she and Mab are the same in that respect, Mab ignored the problems with Maeve for a very long time until she had no choice.  The other was in the name of revenge, if she had fully backed Nic, he would have succeeded, he didn't.