Author Topic: What if Harry used a Darkhallow to consume all the creatures on demonreach?  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Basically the question in the topic. This would seem to eliminate all of the moral problems with a normal darkhallow, namely killing all the innocent people in the vicinity. Instead Harry would be performing it on a remote island on a bunch of unspeakably evil...and immensely powerful creatures.

This would make Harry a starborn, so resistant to outsiders, with the most overpowered Darkhallow transformation into a god ever. I mean he would have to be stupendously powerful if he consumed the things that are in demonreach instead of just regular people and spirits.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
You are what you eat is a rule that runs through the series, he would be evil and utterly insane if he did it there (or dead and having triggered at least a hundred separate apocalyii if he tried and failed) along with being saddled with restrictions to match the new power.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
He could conceivably resist turning because of the you are what you eat thing.. I think Rashid does it all the time, he's so pure and joyous he can contain the purity of evil that would probably be the actual lovecraftian outsiders.(long story/theory). The main thing though is that like DR, the beautiful must balance and contain the ugly. Or like MW/MS, the good follows the bad by inherent opposite attraction. I think Rashid does this on the level of his soul. Harry could pheasably do the same. The real issue is the combined power of all those things being sucked in would probably rip the life out of everything on the planet as a result. No, the only way Harry will dark hallow on demon reach is if everyone is already dead anyway. And then it might not be a darkhallow per se...

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
You already had a long topic years ago asking this same exact thing, and the conclusion is the same now: Eating a bunch of thoroughly inhuman immortals would definitely change Harry.

That's how doing such things works in this setting.

We have no evidence to suggest Rashid does this sort of thing at all, let alone that he does it "all the time."

We have tons of evidence that absorbing power from negative or powerful things changes the person who does the absorbing.

So if Harry did a Darkhollow on Demonreach, he would cease to be Harry Dresden.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
At the least he would have terrible indigestion.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
You'd get absolutely awful gas from inhaling a tornado too.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
The gas you got from the Demonreach Darkhallow would lead to a posterior Sharknado at least, and checking for blood in your stools would be the least of your worries.

No you would have to consume bright happy beings for Harry to remain Harry, so a Darkhallow not on Demonreach but Equestria would be a possibility. There is no downside.

I was wrong! Having re- done my calculations if Harry Darkhallowed Equestria, he would end up with a Cutie mark on his buttock. Of a Hat.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 02:08:11 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I have a theory that this is the end game or even the OG Merlin's plan- but the piece that makes it work is the Blackstaff to eat all the evil "flavoring" of the beings in Demonreach

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I have a theory that this is the end game or even the OG Merlin's plan- but the piece that makes it work is the Blackstaff to eat all the evil "flavoring" of the beings in Demonreach

But that’s the best bit!, have you tried 5% minced beef? It may be good for you but the taste and texture suck diseased donkey wang.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I believe there was a WOJ that the darkhallow requires some human deaths in the area of effect to work properly.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: What if Harry used a Darkhallow to consume all the creatures on demonreach?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 02:39:56 AM »
This was telegraphed in the text.  It's the ley lines that Harry will tap.  Why pay when you can get it for free? He doesn't need the dark hallow.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 07:40:10 AM »
This was telegraphed in the text.  It's the ley lines that Harry will tap.  Why pay when you can get it for free? He doesn't need the dark hallow.
Because that is just borrowing. If you do a darkhallow you can become immortal. A very dark god if you do it on the island and consume the inmates.

But it is not a realistic scenario. Sure Harry could kidnap a few people to serve as human sacrifice but the darkhallow is not designed to rip the power from gods or even living humans. Not at first anyway, it starts with ghosts and I do not think there are that many on the island, not enough people.

Tapping the leyline though is something that will surely happen.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 12:40:28 PM »
Not sure gods are all that much different than ghosts when you down to the brass tax of it. Most things are not supposed to interfere in the mortal world, those things that do anyway are inevitably corrupted by it.. This is something ghosts, angels, god's all have in common actually. The variables exist in how they operate and how well they're known Plus it's been Implied that not only is the how the Erlking got his start, but that the darkhallow was meant to eat him too.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 03:04:15 PM »
Not sure gods are all that much different than ghosts when you down to the brass tax of it. Most things are not supposed to interfere in the mortal world, those things that do anyway are inevitably corrupted by it.. This is something ghosts, angels, god's all have in common actually. The variables exist in how they operate and how well they're known Plus it's been Implied that not only is the how the Erlking got his start, but that the darkhallow was meant to eat him too.
I am sure gods have much better defenses against that sort of things than ghosts or vanilla humans have. They wouldn't be gods otherwise.

Kemmler's desciples wanted the erlking to eat his ghosts, not to eat him.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 05:20:20 PM »
I don't know. I think the fact that we've learned that Alfred can release parts of prisoners is potentially relevant to this conversation.

Look, everyone knows I'm a big fan of 'Demonreach is fueled by archangelic Grace'.  But if not, then there has to be a source of magical energy to fuel Alfred's wards and defenses, right?

So is it theoretically possible that Alfred is 'releasing' a percentage of each inmate's magical power, and Alfred is distilling it into a non-evil source of energy that he can use to power the prison and its defenses?  And the leftover energy (likely the bulk of it because the extraction process likely isn't efficient) is what's creating the dark ley line?

If that's so, then couldn't there theoretically be a scenario where Demonreach creates a tap for Harry? It'd release a ton of dark energy into the ley line, but allow him to tap a pure source of energy to use?  Either for a massive spell, or a Darkhallow, or something along those lines?

I'm not saying it's likely, but it seems like it's not outside the realm of possibility.