Author Topic: The Winter knight mantle at is weakest when (BG spoilers)  (Read 2442 times)

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The Winter knight mantle at is weakest when (BG spoilers)
« on: November 05, 2020, 01:32:59 PM »
Hugin and Mugin (Odins racens) state it directly

"“Easy there, ladies,” I said. “Or we’ll find out how well you operate at absolute zero.” Two heads tilted sharply. “The Winter Knight,” M said. “At the weakest portion of the seasonal cycle,” H noted. “Fifty percent chance he neutralizes one of us before termination.” “Conflict with the seidrmadr results in approximately a twenty-five percent reduction in the principal’s personal defenses.” “Unacceptable,” said M. “Unacceptable,” agreed H."

So mainly I just wanted to say wauw. Also Harry's comments about him being a very strong human, but stil normal human strength total denial from his side because he don't want to be in the monster category.

So maybe the wrestling book will be at mid winter? I am still waiting for a fight with winter claws and armor :-)

Also, so h&m are half Odins personal defences. Maybe that is a hint we will soon see his wolves Gere and Freke? Where are Gere and Freke now? Watching Odin's extra body at home or something?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: The Winter knight mantle at is weakest when (BG spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 02:55:26 PM »
I did not see sleipnir either. Lets face it, Jim just likes writing about woman with sharp nails.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 03:08:24 PM »
What about when Odin was riding on his eight legged horse Sleipnr? It was when he arrived with the wild Hunt

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 03:55:59 PM »
What about when Odin was riding on his eight legged horse Sleipnr? It was when he arrived with the wild Hunt
Missed that one. Is that old days?
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 04:10:03 PM »
Missed that one. Is that old days?
No.

Quote from: Battle Ground Chapter 30
There was a thrumming in the air, a quivering sensation of nauseated terror that went through me like a bullet, and suddenly the silver-grey eight-legged steed whom the legends named Sleipnir thundered out of the night sky, its hooves digging up mounds of earth to arrest its momentum. The great horse reared, kicking the scorched air with all four forehooves, and the terrible shadow upon its back lifted a hand that suddenly clasped a bolt of lightning.

When the Erlking landed, he did so in total silence, despite the heavy faemetal plate he wore over his usual hunting leathers. He landed in a crouch, flanking the Titan opposite the terrible rider, and drew his antler-handled hunting sword as he faced Ethniu.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 04:43:25 PM »
That was Vadderung intervening as Odin, there will be a cost for that.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 04:54:36 PM »

Why?  He had to intervene as Odin, only as Odin was he able to confront the Titian.  He tricked her into taking his weapon, then used it against her.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 08:06:24 PM »
Hugin and Mugin (Odins racens) state it directly

"“Easy there, ladies,” I said. “Or we’ll find out how well you operate at absolute zero.” Two heads tilted sharply. “The Winter Knight,” M said. “At the weakest portion of the seasonal cycle,” H noted. “Fifty percent chance he neutralizes one of us before termination.” “Conflict with the seidrmadr results in approximately a twenty-five percent reduction in the principal’s personal defenses.” “Unacceptable,” said M. “Unacceptable,” agreed H."
<snip>
Also, so h&m are half Odins personal defences. Maybe that is a hint we will soon see his wolves Gere and Freke? Where are Gere and Freke now? Watching Odin's extra body at home or something?

H&M together are his full defence. 50% chance one of them dies => 50% chance times 1 out of 2 of them dying = 25% reduction.

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 08:44:38 PM »

I don't think so. According to WOJ Odin get to keep his toys and right to influence mortal world for sake of his godly-immortality, and he regain his immortality anyway by stealing it from other beings. Sneaky but within rules - and this allows him you know - to hire new valkyries, to sell Einhernjarn services to mafia and so on.

H&M together are his full defence. 50% chance one of them dies => 50% chance times 1 out of 2 of them dying = 25% reduction.

Well neutralize does not mean - dies necessarily. Nevertheless conflict with Dresden would be costly for them.
Also it's second time Dresden is threated by H&M so my Conspiracy Theory is Dresden somehow will bring doom to Odin.