Author Topic: If Harry were real ...  (Read 2417 times)

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
If Harry were real ...
« on: November 01, 2020, 02:58:40 PM »
One of the signs of a well written story is if the reader can insert themselves into the world. See themselves as one of the characters, watch the events as if they were actually standing there, etc. If Harry were a real person in your life would you know him? Would you be his friend? Would he be your friend? Would you hang out with him? How do you see yourself interacting with him?

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: If Harry were real ...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 04:04:36 PM »
One of the signs of a well written story is if the reader can insert themselves into the world. See themselves as one of the characters, watch the events as if they were actually standing there, etc. If Harry were a real person in your life would you know him? Would you be his friend? Would he be your friend? Would you hang out with him? How do you see yourself interacting with him?
I'd run to the other side of the globe, that guy is a trouble magnet.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 04:25:38 PM »
I would either avoid him or if I were Mab, I would use him.  ;D

Offline Smaug with OCD

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 08:41:47 PM »
It's a complex question.

Personality-wise... yeah, I'd hang out with Harry. He'd be a hoot at D&D night. Though, I suspect he'd start avoiding me after I began asking him to teach me magic. But, if we're talking walking nuke, starts a war, kills faery princesses, denies a fallen angel, genocides a nation, burgles Hades' vault, solos a friggin' TITAN Harry.... I'm going to Utah. None of that crap ever happens in Utah. That... or I'd insist on going on those adventures for the heck of it... and probably get myself killed off pretty quick. Not sure.
Cookies are awesome. Join the Dark Side.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 12:26:56 AM »
That's a silly question.  I'll stay where I'm at and put a hit on him if he shows up in this dimension

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 02:11:41 AM »
If I were Jim I would be worried that Harry might want payback, for example inflicting every single injury he has suffered at Jim’s hands on Jim.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 05:38:16 AM »
Not a chance I would meet him. I don't live in the same hemisphere even. And Harry does not use internet. But if for some reason I could meet him, I would like that we were friends. We could do RPG, talk about Star Wars, Star Trek, all that. And I could update his references.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 10:58:22 AM »
I'd run to the other side of the globe, that guy is a trouble magnet.

This. Nothing against Harry, but I have enough trouble surviving and functioning in a normal world, with normal problems. I wouldn't survive a week in Harry's sphere of influence.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 04:45:18 PM »

Oh I think I'd have one of Mac's ales with one of his famous steak sandwiches, with Harry.  I'd even spring for it, I think that would be very safe. 8)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 06:51:41 PM »
Never been to Chicago, so I doubt we'd meet.

If I did live in Chicago, know Harry, and know what we all know about him, I'd move. Also given what I know about Chicago, I'd probably want to move anyway.

I'm pretty sure Harry comes across as "off" to most people most of the time. The rest of the time, he probably comes off as terrifying. I've had plenty of friends in the first category, and Harry seems like the kind of off I'd get along with.

The problem with Harry is he's probably the kind of guy who it's hard to be friends with. No cell phone, erratic work schedule, unreliable car, no electronic communications. I'm friends with a guy like that, but I'm not sure I'd maintain the friendship if I didn't work next door to him because I'd be the one maintaining the friendship, not him.