Author Topic: "Talk To Me..." Had Carlos Already Drank the Kool-Aid?  (Read 29681 times)

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: "Talk To Me..." Had Carlos Already Drank the Kool-Aid?
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2020, 05:25:59 PM »
Indeed, I've been wondering that as well, and I can think of none.  Yes, we are told that most of the younger Wardens look up to Harry and agree with him on many counts, but nothing about secrets shared with Harry.

I'd say Carlos as young Warden has bit less secrets usually.
I mean he barely graduated when we meet him, and then in White Night already Dresden is quite obviously hiding information

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2020, 06:24:20 PM »

I'd say Carlos as young Warden has bit less secrets usually.
I mean he barely graduated when we meet him, and then in White Night already Dresden is quite obviously hiding information

No, I think Carlos had been around a bit longer than that, he too fought in the war against the Red Court.  Do you think Carlos has said anything to Harry about the little sex fiasco with Molly? Or is that a secret?  You can also bet that the machinations in the Senior Council had been going on for some time, Carlos hasn't said anything about that either.  Just because someone is young, it doesn't mean they don't have secrets.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2020, 07:02:16 PM »
It's clear from PT/BG that neither Carlos told Dresden about it, nor Molly tried to dunno apologize for incident.
It's possible Carlos reported to White Council - which could be a reason they are now quite harsh on Dresden - his warlock apprentice turned Sidhe and ripped their Warden to shreds

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2020, 07:04:45 PM »
It does not need to be big secrets, but I don't have the feeling that Carlos trusted Harry with even minor banal secrets. IMHO is because at the back of his mind Carlos had the voice of the Council telling him "don't trust Dresden".
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2020, 07:09:19 PM »
It's clear from PT/BG that neither Carlos told Dresden about it, nor Molly tried to dunno apologize for incident.
It's possible Carlos reported to White Council - which could be a reason they are now quite harsh on Dresden - his warlock apprentice turned Sidhe and ripped their Warden to shreds

That could very well be, in which case if Harry actually knewwhat was behind the latest effort to give him the boot, Harry may actually have talked when Carlos asked.. But then again, the time for Carlos to ask as a concerned friend would have been on the beach when there was no pressure.. Instead he secretly slapped a tracking dot on him.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2020, 08:37:10 PM »

I'm not sure she can. The short story this happened in had a couple instances of her trying to talk to Carlos about Winter stuff, and being unable to say anything other than pickup lines. Harry asked some things about how she's doing with the job in SG and she said she couldn't tell him, literally, despite him being the Knight.

Any sort of meaningful apology to Carlos would require an explanation of why the mantle forced her to attack him. That seems like a more serious Winter secret than anything she wanted to say earlier and was blocked from, so she probably cannot speak about it.

Offline tacorrific

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2020, 08:38:02 PM »
Anyone else find it suspicious that Carlos only brought people who at one time would have stood up for Harry away from HQ right when they were having a discussion about Harry's membership?  Carlos says that he choose the team that came to Chicago.  Carlos has to know more wardens than this, yet chooses to only bring Harry's pottential allies away when he could really use them.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2020, 03:41:53 AM »
With all the trust is a two way street we have been talking about. Did Carlos ever share any secrets with Harry? Or something along those lines?
Well he followed Harry into the deeps and stuck around despite every sign that there's a lot of suspicious things going on along the way.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2020, 05:43:42 AM »
Anyone else find it suspicious that Carlos only brought people who at one time would have stood up for Harry away from HQ right when they were having a discussion about Harry's membership?  Carlos says that he choose the team that came to Chicago.  Carlos has to know more wardens than this, yet chooses to only bring Harry's pottential allies away when he could really use them.

No accident that when they stopped him on the road, Carlos kept saying, paraphrasing, "We are all friends here, talk to me.."  At the same time Chandler was warning him, "We are all friends, that doesn't include you."  So it appears that they all drank the kool-aid with the exception of Chandler, who might have been entrusted to warn Harry by Luccio. 

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2020, 08:13:28 PM »

I'm not sure she can. The short story this happened in had a couple instances of her trying to talk to Carlos about Winter stuff, and being unable to say anything other than pickup lines. Harry asked some things about how she's doing with the job in SG and she said she couldn't tell him, literally, despite him being the Knight.

Any sort of meaningful apology to Carlos would require an explanation of why the mantle forced her to attack him. That seems like a more serious Winter secret than anything she wanted to say earlier and was blocked from, so she probably cannot speak about it.

Dunno really. If one of basic qualities of Winter Lady a big secret. Is it even... possible for it to be a secret. It's like Maiden, Mother, Crone mythology - any wizard with decent knowledge would get it. If so... that's really weird.

Now of course Immortal dies in Halloween secret somehow is kept top secret, which also I consider with lot of doubt.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2020, 01:51:33 AM »
They're also the US team with the exception of Chandler.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline maqito

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2020, 06:07:16 AM »
There is a lot of sense to the whole Carlos corrupted by Nemesis.  Jim has said repeatedly that people corrupted do not behave the same, they change fundamentally. They start doing things against their nature.  I really don't think Carlos was changed by the Molly experience.  He wouldn't hold that against Harry in any case.  On the other hand, suddenly Carlos is acting all suspicious of Harry, showing up in the middle of the night to ambush him?  That doesn't sound like the Carlos of old.  The one who put his life on the line and got himself locked up to support Harry during Changes? That doesn't jive.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2020, 10:34:16 AM »
They're also the US team with the exception of Chandler.

Yukio is Japanese full and through. She even is not very fluent in English.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2020, 12:01:53 PM »
Yukio is Japanese full and through. She even is not very fluent in English.
There's a whole comic of them being the US team, Dresden gets Chicago, Carlos gets LA, Bill gets Texas, Yoshimo is the only one we don't have the assigned area for.

Rest in peace mdodd.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2020, 01:46:18 PM »
There's a whole comic of them being the US team, Dresden gets Chicago, Carlos gets LA, Bill gets Texas, Yoshimo is the only one we don't have the assigned area for.

Maybe they left her with them, as they were war-squad together. Or they lacked local Warden.