Author Topic: "Talk To Me..." Had Carlos Already Drank the Kool-Aid?  (Read 29705 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: "Talk To Me..." Had Carlos Already Drank the Kool-Aid?
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2020, 01:39:08 PM »
In history, yes, he is responsible for the deaths of all the first born in Egypt.  That's pretty powerful.
But that was a long time ago and might not even be true, it is a story told about him. We also know that beings who used to be powerful are now less so.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2020, 02:14:56 PM »
But that was a long time ago and might not even be true, it is a story told about him. We also know that beings who used to be powerful are now less so.

I believe that is connected to faith..  If the belief system remains strong, the gods etc remain powerful.
Quite a few people still believe in the Almighty and His archangels.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2020, 02:21:46 PM »
I believe that is connected to faith..  If the belief system remains strong, the gods etc remain powerful.
Or it is also what they tell about Uriel. He is still powerful but he is not doing that much with his power.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2020, 02:30:24 PM »

It helps. But evidently faith was not enough to stop Creator for simply sacking Olympian Gods from their jobs.
And then it does not work really with faerie being most powerful supes around, considering faith in them is very limited.
Sure there are stories, but in this case MCU movies should give powerful powerup to Thor :P

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 21, 2020, 03:31:58 PM »
It helps. But evidently faith was not enough to stop Creator for simply sacking Olympian Gods from their jobs.
And then it does not work really with faerie being most powerful supes around, considering faith in them is very limited.
Sure there are stories, but in this case MCU movies should give powerful powerup to Thor :P

Could be that they do, and the beliefs in the Norse gods lingered for quite some time.  That might be why Odin still manages to carry a lot of weight..  He might also cheat a bit with the Kris Kringle mask, millions of kids believe in Santa..

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 21, 2020, 03:35:13 PM »
Kringle's thing is that he's part of Odin being a minmaxing fuck who opts into staying involved with humans and becomes mortal as a result but just happens to have a job that gives him immortality on the side.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 21, 2020, 04:33:31 PM »
Kringle's thing is that he's part of Odin being a minmaxing fuck who opts into staying involved with humans and becomes mortal as a result but just happens to have a job that gives him immortality on the side.

Oh I don't know, Kris Kringle is pretty immortal and in the guise of St Nicklaus is worshiped as a Christian saint.  Seems like Odin covers all his bases.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 21, 2020, 05:54:55 PM »
What is weird about that is none of the Outsiders we've met so far seem that powerful.  So there
must be a whole lot of constraints on them, more than even archangels.  Because Uriel seems to be a lot more powerful than an Outsider.

We've seen them on page from the perspective of an enemy who's their embodied kryptonite. If it was the Ramirez Files, I'm thinking Walkers would be a 'run away' threat instead of a dangerous but challengeable enemy.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 21, 2020, 06:20:14 PM »
True
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 21, 2020, 09:23:10 PM »
We've seen them on page from the perspective of an enemy who's their embodied kryptonite. If it was the Ramirez Files, I'm thinking Walkers would be a 'run away' threat instead of a dangerous but challengeable enemy.
And let's add to that - there are fairly few enemies who have specific people as their kryptonite. Lots of things have weaknesses, but the Outsiders need specific people to be countered.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2020, 12:15:06 AM »
Semantics, I believe
Not really. Being a reliable witness is completely different than being a good judge of character, a good protector, or anything about his priorities.

Harry Dresden, wizard, with his own castle and Excalibur. You cannot be much more epic than that.  :)
So epic. It's funny watching booktubers talk about how DF is light fantasy between your epic fantasy series.

anything Harry said would just confirm what Carlos already believed.
Definitely because that's where the story's going. But I, and many others, wanted him to really tell Carlos off, and we feel he really didn't.

Chopping up foot soldiers is a whole different ball-game from burning out Nemesis without harming the host. It's possible, but Walkers are probably roughly in the same power league as angels ... ensuring the host dies on their way out is probably at least as likely an outcome as curing possession.
My point was that the Amoracchius effective on Outsiders, so there is reason to believe that Fideliacchuis is too.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 22, 2020, 12:20:49 AM »
Not really. Being a reliable witness is completely different than being a good judge of character, a good protector, or anything about his priorities.
I just said that they told what he is, a Foo Dog. Everybody can decide what to do with that information. That is textual. My opinion is that several members of the WCouncil searched for it and now should have a good idea of what a Foo Dog is, and that probably includes being a good protector.

So epic. It's funny watching booktubers talk about how DF is light fantasy between your epic fantasy series.
What is a booktuber? And what would be epic fantasy? Magicians?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 22, 2020, 12:40:23 AM »
I just said that they told what he is, a Foo Dog.
What I thought you were saying is that they said what a Foo Dog is, which we know, unless corrupted, is somewhere in the same area as an angel based on Uriel calling him brother.

A booktuber is someone on youtube who talks primarily about books. Here's an example of a guy I watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3lgOPGTySs. It's a review of SF & FM.

Before I get into the definition of a genre, there's a lot of wiggle room in all the genre definitions that I'd disagree with. Most of the genre definitions are garbage and fall apart on close inspection.

One of the basic characteristics of Epic Fantasy is that it's not set in the "real world" like Dresden Files or even some medieval fantasy. Basically anything set on a world we'd recognize as Earth. I think Jim would describe Epic Fantasty as Swords and Horses Fantasy. For more detail, here's a wikipedia link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fantasy

The TV show Magicians would probably be classified as Urban Fantasy or Low Fantasy, even though half or more of the show takes place in made up worlds.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 22, 2020, 12:55:30 AM »
Ah, thank you very much, I get it now.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 22, 2020, 01:53:02 AM »
Could be that they do, and the beliefs in the Norse gods lingered for quite some time.  That might be why Odin still manages to carry a lot of weight..  He might also cheat a bit with the Kris Kringle mask, millions of kids believe in Santa..

According to Odin chose to become mortal but keep privilege to meddle in mortal affairs. Of course as ex-Aesir he was still as mortal powerful wizard, so it's no wonder he restored much of his power by gaining various mantles including mantle of Winter King (which was presumably somehow shaped as memory of him, so it could get easier). Also it's a place where I have to say I really dislike how they use Kris Kringle as almost his proper name considering it's relatively modern concept that arise when German settlers for whome Baby Jesus was giving presents on Christmas - it's result of improper pronounciation of Christkind - (ergo Christ-Child), that was mixed with classic Santa Claus vision.

I doubt it's Jim intention - he probably just choose nickname used most in his region but if I was paranoid I'd make theory how Odin is trying to steal mantles from Jesus himself.

But I doubt Odin was always a Winter King. He was still proper Aesir in times when Faerie mantles were forged on Stone Table.

My point was that the Amoracchius effective on Outsiders, so there is reason to believe that Fideliacchuis is too.

All swords bear Angel inside. Angels which are like one of most fundamental forces of Creation if Uriel and Dresden are too be believed. And I'd not be surprised if most of Uriel energy was spend fighting like Multiverse Range Outisders on fringes of Creation, while Mab's forces are just like immunological system of one small universe.

Oh I don't know, Kris Kringle is pretty immortal and in the guise of St Nicklaus is worshiped as a Christian saint.  Seems like Odin covers all his bases.

I'm not sure if worshipping Saint Nicholas is much empowering for him, but then Santa Claus exists now pretty much independently from real saint.
Now I'm sure Monoc have it's share of stock of Coca Cola company that's for sure.

And what would be epic fantasy? Magicians?

Tolkien, Sanderson, Jordan, Erikson and so on.
Urban Fantasy usually have opinion of lighter and less epic, as it's either real world with supernatural living around, or real world with hidden supernatural dimension. Either dark brooding Chandlerian noir - like Dresden tried to be in books 1-3, or paranormal romances.
One way or another - even in books it usually have scope of thriller with faeries, than zombie T-Rex, and Titan War epicness.