Author Topic: [BG spoilers] A defense and requiem for my favorite character . . .  (Read 15320 times)

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: [BG spoilers] A defense and requiem for my favorite character . . .
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2020, 12:16:11 AM »
Or Harry gets married to Molly and Lara at the same time.

Although to be honest I wish that he had made Rudolph do it on purpose so that Harry could have justifiably killed him on the spot because that would have been far more delicious.

With whole angle Butcher treats it I doubt book would treat it as justifiable - and still Knights would stop Dresden.
(TBH I'd prefer - although I'm in it-was-contrieved team so I'm not happy with whole situation - if Dresden killed Rudolph as it was, without premeditated murder on his part - and Knights were too late. And then to own dismay Dresden would not turn into some monster.

I quote one of my favourite moments from HBO's Chernobyl here:
"Look. This happens to everyone the first time. Normally when you kill a man. But for you a dog. So what? There's no shame in it. You remember your first time, Garo? My first time, Afghanistan. We were moving through a house and... suddenly a man was there and I shot him in the stomach. Yeah, that's a real war story. There are never any good stories like in movies - they're shit. A man was there, boom... stomach. I was so scared I didn't pull the trigger again for the rest of the day. I thought, well, that's it, Bacho. You put a bullet in someone. You're not you anymore. You'll never be you again. But then you wake up the next morning and you're still you. And you realize: that was you all along. You just didn't know."

--It gives Harry a Vengeance Angle, more so than he had. It makes it really personal, and given that she was in 17 books with him, it particularly well established. I love a good revenge.

I'm not sure that's where it's going. Especially since Rudolph was beaten and Ethniu imprisoned.

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2020, 01:24:56 AM »

I'm not sure that's where it's going. Especially since Rudolph was beaten and Ethniu imprisoned.

I mean I dont think Ethniu was really the main player. As always, something else is going on behind the scenes, and when Dresden finds out what it is...its gonna be clobbering time.

Ultimately the direction I hope the story goes in is that Murphy becomes Harry's main vengeance/sorrow, and he stays up late drinking and smoking and hanging around Macs bar. He will start his "Winter Harem" with at least Molly and Lara as members. He puts both intellectus's on the end of his staff so that they can utter witty male/female banter in battle. Castle Dresden will have its walls lined by Harry's dead enemies heads on spikes. Also Dresden starts using Murphy's glock as his primary sidearm. Dresden will finally unleash the potential Mab saw in him from the beginning, to become a righteous killing machine laying waste to all the bad guys in the story.

Offline Telynn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2020, 02:24:43 AM »
I mean I dont think Ethniu was really the main player. As always, something else is going on behind the scenes, and when Dresden finds out what it is...its gonna be clobbering time.

Ultimately the direction I hope the story goes in is that Murphy becomes Harry's main vengeance/sorrow, and he stays up late drinking and smoking and hanging around Macs bar. He will start his "Winter Harem" with at least Molly and Lara as members. He puts both intellectus's on the end of his staff so that they can utter witty male/female banter in battle. Castle Dresden will have its walls lined by Harry's dead enemies heads on spikes. Also Dresden starts using Murphy's glock as his primary sidearm. Dresden will finally unleash the potential Mab saw in him from the beginning, to become a righteous killing machine laying waste to all the bad guys in the story.

I've read this through several times and.... it actually sounds pretty awesome.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2020, 08:15:43 PM »
It's awesome, but in a way too fan-servicey (not maybe for me but I assume for most) and it's very much against how Butcher constructed Dresden character. Even his decision to empower himself at the end of BG is way more linked to his family and friends - than any righteous killing machine mode - I believe in this aspect Mab is doomed to fail (assuming that's what she really want).

From all those options I assume "drinking" is maybe though Dresden never was a drinker even in his wanna-be-noir years. Harems are quite obviously out of the question, (not to mention Lara would die, and Molly would kill Dresden if trying), just as enemies head on spikes.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2020, 08:25:52 PM »
kat7: I just wanted to say that Murphy was a very good character and she will be missed. And I suspect we will see some version of her again, perhaps flashbacks in 12 months, and an alt-version in Mirror Mirror.

(I have not read the whole thread yet)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2020, 08:42:39 PM »
kat7: I just wanted to say that Murphy was a very good character and she will be missed. And I suspect we will see some version of her again, perhaps flashbacks in 12 months, and an alt-version in Mirror Mirror.

(I have not read the whole thread yet)
We see her again because mirror mirror Murphy decides to follow a better Harry into a better world  ;D
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2020, 08:50:03 PM »
That is a distinct probability I considered since I've read BG.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2020, 11:16:42 PM »
She will move into Prime Universe but changed into Black Court Vampire and in BAT we gonna have epic duel between Black!Murphy and Valhalla!Murphy.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2020, 05:19:44 PM »
Seriously, perhaps in MM, Harry can soulgaze Murph?
Missing you, Md 

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2020, 11:20:00 PM »
That would be really traumatic.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2020, 02:49:37 AM »
Why? I would sincerely love to see that. I've been waiting for a soulgaze between them for so long and the "almost-soulgaze" was heart-crushing.
Missing you, Md 

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2020, 08:00:52 AM »
Because it's HIGHLY probably Mirrphy will hate Dresden's guts so much he's gonna to see it.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2020, 04:43:04 PM »
Seriously, perhaps in MM, Harry can soulgaze Murph?

All well and good, but what is the point of all of this?  How does it further the story? 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2020, 05:02:43 PM »
   All well and good, but what is the point of all of this?  How does it further the story?
Well Mirror Mirror Murphy is actually a valkyrie and can stay at Harry’s side until the end  ;D
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2020, 05:17:32 PM »

As I said, it could show us something that we will be waiting to happen for many books. Her reaction will tell us things too. MM Murphy is, as far as I know, our Murphy (in the sense that she is not the one taking divergent actions). She is not inlove of his Harry, she probably is not her friend either, but her character is the same. So when she sees our Harry she will react more or less like our Murphy would. And Harry would have a lovely memory of her for ever.
Missing you, Md