Author Topic: [BG spoilers] A defense and requiem for my favorite character . . .  (Read 15396 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: [BG spoilers] A defense and requiem for my favorite character . . .
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 01:14:40 PM »
On the contrary. Molly is a perpetual teen now  ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 01:35:14 PM by Arjan »
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2020, 01:42:28 PM »
Murphy’s new status as a follower of Odin means Harry needs to erect a big stone and inscribe it with her deeds and then he has to invite friends for a sacrificial meal and pour mead on the ground and sacrifice some cattle for the barbecue.

Then people can recite some poetry about Murphy.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2020, 03:01:57 PM »
Hey, two things I want to point out. With some of us fans, it wasn't Murphy hate. It was Murphy fatigue. She was it every book. The only break for the character was in DB. If she had taken more time off instead of being a workaholic, maybe we wouldn't have had fatigue of her.

And a personal pet peeve. Molly isn't a recent teen anymore. She's on the downhill to 30. I know that people while reading imprint a character to how they look when they are first introduced. But this is the Dresden Files. Everyone grows up and changes. With everything she has gone through, mentality she is probably over 30. She still loves Harry, but isn't actively pursuing him anymore. She knows what is more important and responsibilities come first.

Ok, I'm done on my soapbox. Sorry for the rant.

Agreed on all those counts. 

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2020, 03:06:00 PM »
There was a lady cop of 5’0,
Who steadfastly refused to grow,
When attacked by a troll,
Her eyes she did roll,
And gave it maximum woe.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2020, 07:35:55 PM »
There was a lady cop of 5’0,
Who steadfastly refused to grow,
When attacked by a troll,
Her eyes she did roll,
And gave it maximum woe.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2020, 09:59:18 PM »
The limerick is the perfect verse form for Murphy, short and Irish.

A lady partaking of Mac’s own special brew,
Was interrupted by a Fae nobody knew,
When introduced to the Gruff Tiny,
She drew her badge, oh so shiny,
And left Summer’s hit man all in stew.

There was a pattern of Murphy constantly taking on giant foes, only to be felled by the moral Pygmy which was Rudy

Only Toot has a similar record on mismatching with larger foes.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 10:17:26 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline kat7

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2020, 10:15:44 PM »
It was Murphy fatigue. She was it every book. . . . Molly isn't a recent teen anymore. She's on the downhill to 30.

That's fair! I hadn't stopped to do the math on Molly's age and honestly thanks for bringing me up to speed. Harry's "were those crow's feet?" comment should have made me wonder. :)

I don't mean to argue with anyone who does experience Murphy fatigue! Different personalities, different character resonances! I think part of what's happening for me--I do like to "plug myself in" as a character, and (being a woman) once a character is gorgeous, BAM! up goes the wall.  I'm never going to be able to imagine myself *as* Molly, or *as* Lara.  Like, every time they're described, I kinda feel badly about myself.  ::) Without Murphy, I go from being *in* the story, to a spectator.  (I'm literally a short blond disaffected Catholic 35-year-old . . . named Karen.)

I really like the poetry y'all.   ;D

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2020, 02:31:52 AM »

I don't mean to argue with anyone who does experience Murphy fatigue! Different personalities, different character resonances! I think part of what's happening for me--I do like to "plug myself in" as a character, and (being a woman) once a character is gorgeous, BAM! up goes the wall.  I'm never going to be able to imagine myself *as* Molly, or *as* Lara.  Like, every time they're described, I kinda feel badly about myself.  ::) Without Murphy, I go from being *in* the story, to a spectator.  (I'm literally a short blond disaffected Catholic 35-year-old . . . named Karen.)

I really like the poetry y'all.   ;D

I also do that sometimes, I unconsciously choose a character to identify myself with. At first it is mostly the main character, even if he or she is nothing like me, even if I wouldn't like to be like him or her, but not always. I only start to feel "at home" in a book, after I have found that person. The characters can change during reading and sometimes during a reread.
When I was reading the first book of GOT about a few hundred years ago, I chose Eddard Stark as my "anchor" to the book. Yeah. Well done. LOL
After that it was Jon Snow. I loved that in the TV series I could feel the same. ;)

In the DF I do love Mab. I would be terribly upset, if Mab died. She is by far my favourite character ever since Summer Knight. If I had to choose, which character of the books I had to cosplay, it would be Mab. Though I fear I would end up looking more like Charity.  :-\

But I mourned Murphy too. OK, I admit I didn't really mourn Murphy but more Harry's loss. I don't have any particular feelings for or against Murphy, but I like what she means to Harry. I always disliked Susan and didn't believe she was the reason for his true love protection. I always thought it must have been Murphy. In my head she always was and Harry just believed it was Susan.

So I can totally understand and feel with you, what it means to loose a "chosen" character.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2020, 02:52:40 AM »
Thankyou, a couple more celebrating the giants the Murphy cut down to size.

There was a fair lady knight of Chicago,
Who did battle a monster plant for a foe,
She whipped out a chainsaw,
In the middle of a chain store,
And said “and stop now, it’s time for a mow”.

Trolls, Jotuns, Chlorofiends, Tiny Gruff, I think there is only the Genowskwa left as regards Murphy’s oversized playmates.

The evil Sasquatch, Blood on his Soul,
Had Harry in a firm grasp by his poll,
Karrin produced a small rocket,
Almost out of her pocket,
And said “your not leaving here whole”.

No more.....for now.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 03:26:07 AM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2020, 11:46:52 AM »

"Well, the woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep.."

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2020, 02:48:34 PM »
I'm glad to hear it now!

I think I freaked myself out that the quick acceleration of Lara/Molly meant that Jim himself has gotten tired of Karrin and writing her. (I made the mistake of skimming Reddit for reactions first, and found a vein of anti-Karrin sentiment that surprised me and bummed me out!  :-\)

In terms of "played for laughs," I think the ground frosting over  around Molly as she and Lara walked away after Mab's pronouncement was meant to be funny . . . but it was definitely too soon for me!

Also, as a footnote, I really want better for Molly than gradually wearing down the guy she's idolized since high school who's never seen her that way . . . for years now . . . !

YES!!!!!!!!!!!
A million times YES!!!!!

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2020, 05:34:05 PM »
What if in Mirror, Mirror we see the Harry who has never had the relationship he has had with Molly, would be prepared instead to get physical with her in Harry Primes world (Harry Prime guarantees next day delivery and access to a Dresden Files streaming service) one can only hope what happened to Carlos foreshadows the result.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2020, 06:21:01 PM »
But I mourned Murphy too. OK, I admit I didn't really mourn Murphy but more Harry's loss. I don't have any particular feelings for or against Murphy, but I like what she means to Harry.
That's where I'm at. I never really felt that Murphy added anything unique in the books.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2020, 09:59:46 PM »
That's where I'm at. I never really felt that Murphy added anything unique in the books.

I think that more or less is the problem Jim ultimately had with her.  As a cop as a foil for the P.I. Harry, she was perfect.  When she got booted off the police force he had a hard time getting her to fit anywhere.  He had turned her into a moralizing five foot nothing wonder woman, which didn't add a whole lot to the books.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2020, 10:48:53 PM »
In the Dresden Verse woman are a foils. Need someone to die or get done some other way?  Send out the fems. He needs Lara for some reason, Murphy had to die. And so it was for every women in the books who have had some kind of relationship with Harry. It's the kiss of death. Lara should tremble in fear. Go team Dresden. 8)