Author Topic: [BG spoilers] A defense and requiem for my favorite character . . .  (Read 15340 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: [BG spoilers] A defense and requiem for my favorite character . . .
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2020, 07:12:40 PM »
As I said, it could show us something that we will be waiting to happen for many books. Her reaction will tell us things too. MM Murphy is, as far as I know, our Murphy (in the sense that she is not the one taking divergent actions). She is not inlove of his Harry, she probably is not her friend either, but her character is the same. So when she sees our Harry she will react more or less like our Murphy would. And Harry would have a lovely memory of her for ever.

But I don't see while nice and all would further the story. 

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2020, 09:49:25 PM »
"Because we don't like that Murph is dead" is literally the main reason for everyone saying she needs to come back from Mirror Mirror/Gard was wrong and she can show up as a Valkyrie/Whatever other third reason.

Which, fair enough, there are characters I'd like to see again (in both this and other series). But realistically speaking most of the time characters are killed it's because their part in the narrative is done.

So no, there's no real furtherance in the story in bringing Murphy back. But yeah, people will miss her and want her to return.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2020, 09:57:58 PM »
"Because we don't like that Murph is dead" is literally the main reason for everyone saying she needs to come back from Mirror Mirror/Gard was wrong and she can show up as a Valkyrie/Whatever other third reason.

Which, fair enough, there are characters I'd like to see again (in both this and other series). But realistically speaking most of the time characters are killed it's because their part in the narrative is done.

So no, there's no real furtherance in the story in bringing Murphy back. But yeah, people will miss her and want her to return.

This. Agreed. The Murphy we know is dead and needs to stay dead. Any other Murphy we see on out will not be her. We will see a different version of her in MM just to twist the knife into Harry a little more. And we may see non powered up warrior princess Murphy in the BAT when the rules are thrown out the window, but by then the Murphy we knew is long gone. She may not even have her memory anymore
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2020, 02:22:13 AM »
   All well and good, but what is the point of all of this?  How does it further the story?

Every possible bit on emotional torture for Harry is furthering the story :3

Well Mirror Mirror Murphy is actually a valkyrie and can stay at Harry’s side until the end

Let's be realistic. Mirror!Murphy would hate Dresden's guts and then probably will be killed by Darth Dresden.
Not to mention is extremely doubtful she would leave her own dimension unless dunno - it's destroyed by Outsiders in finale of MM.

She is not inlove of his Harry, she probably is not her friend either, but her character is the same. So when she sees our Harry she will react more or less like our Murphy would. And Harry would have a lovely memory of her for ever.

I don't know why we assume it's gonna be lovely on his side.

Putting Murphy in Valhalla is IMHO perfect Chekhov's Gun showing it's not done.
I mean for all I know it can mean she's gonna be killed 4ever second time.

And we may see non powered up warrior princess Murphy in the BAT when the rules are thrown out the window, but by then the Murphy we knew is long gone. She may not even have her memory anymore

If Murphy shall return as Einherjar in BAT, I doubt she will not be herself. Primo it will be at most 10 years then. Secundo Valhalla unlike Hades is all about memory. Throwing Murphy into oblivion would be totally against it's basic principles - that deeds of people of valor shall be remembered.
If Murphy is like full Murphy soul and stuff and not just shade inhabiting body - which is option after all Odin is not source of souls, and WOJ states clearly all souls finally shall return to it's source no matter what would happen to them in meantime - but if she has her soul, she will be herself.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2020, 04:32:58 AM »
I don't know why we assume it's gonna be lovely on his side.

It won't be lovely on his side, but we won't know what Murphy sees, only how she reacts. But we will see what he sees, and that would be lovely because I don't think fundamentally is going to be that different to what he saw under his Sight.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2020, 05:39:02 AM »
That is it. Because mirror. Harry made the wrong choice mirror reality is crumbling despite’s Mirror Murphy the Valkyrie’s desperate efforts to prevent it. At the last moment she and Harry escape the mirror world to Harry ‘s original world and together they promise each other to do everything to save this world from the outsider collapse.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2020, 10:48:56 AM »
It won't be lovely on his side, but we won't know what Murphy sees, only how she reacts. But we will see what he sees, and that would be lovely because I don't think fundamentally is going to be that different to what he saw under his Sight.

We'll see. And well he'll probably gonna SG himself - so it's possible we will know what Murphy sees.

That is it. Because mirror. Harry made the wrong choice mirror reality is crumbling despite’s Mirror Murphy the Valkyrie’s desperate efforts to prevent it. At the last moment she and Harry escape the mirror world to Harry ‘s original world and together they promise each other to do everything to save this world from the outsider collapse.

No please, please - no alt!Murphy in our universe. Kill her if you must, but just no.
(Unless she's a blampire and will fight Einherjar!Murphy in "Stars and Stones")

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2020, 12:05:57 PM »
We'll see. And well he'll probably gonna SG himself - so it's possible we will know what Murphy sees.

No please, please - no alt!Murphy in our universe. Kill her if you must, but just no.
No! That is what Mirror Harry the denarian necromancer with his vampire ally Mavra tried to do but Murphy escaped that fate by becoming a Valkyrie.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2020, 05:02:04 PM »

No, whatever is inside MM Harry soul is not the same that is in OG Harry.

And I will say it again, I dislike the idea that Harry can change so much, so we better have an scenario where Harry does one or more bad decisions and that makes him vulnerable to dark forces that possess him. Not that he himself become evil.

Gosh, I really don't care for MM so much. I am dying for reading 12M though.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2020, 06:59:25 PM »
No, whatever is inside MM Harry soul is not the same that is in OG Harry.

And I will say it again, I dislike the idea that Harry can change so much, so we better have an scenario where Harry does one or more bad decisions and that makes him vulnerable to dark forces that possess him. Not that he himself become evil.

Gosh, I really don't care for MM so much. I am dying for reading 12M though.

I'm with you Dina, for some reason I have a hard time getting excited over MM..  Twelve Months should be interesting, hopefully we will see some emotional growth coming out of Harry's grief and new understanding.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2020, 07:14:22 PM »
Me too.

But how sure is it that there will be a whole book. I have watched one interview where he said that. But to me it sounded like it was a new idea, that he doesn't know how to write that, but he feels, there has to be something about dealing with trauma in between.

I have the feeling, and I would be OK with this, if 12 Months would be a short story collection of 12 stories taking place in the 12 months between BG and the wedding.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2020, 08:02:47 PM »
Me too.

But how sure is it that there will be a whole book. I have watched one interview where he said that. But to me it sounded like it was a new idea, that he doesn't know how to write that, but he feels, there has to be something about dealing with trauma in between.

I have the feeling, and I would be OK with this, if 12 Months would be a short story collection of 12 stories taking place in the 12 months between BG and the wedding.

Hopefully there won't be a wedding... But a collection of twelve short stories would be good, depending on how long it takes to get them out. 

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2020, 08:15:43 PM »
I think the narrative structure of Twelve Months is going to be more like that of a fix up novel i.e. in the Golden Age of SF a writer would publish a number of connected short stories in the monthly magazines but would then republish them as a novel with additional and connective material. We have already had Christmas Eve.

It would give space for Harry to mourn Murphy, so I wonder are going to see Harry in therapy as a framing device, that Twelve Months is what he is telling his therapist? If so what are the odds that Harry gets attacked in his therapists office?

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2020, 08:17:05 PM »
Hopefully there won't be a wedding... But a collection of twelve short stories would be good, depending on how long it takes to get them out.
Well, in an ideal world there will be an announcement at Christmas: "Hey weirdos, look what I've done. In the 6 years since Skin Game I have not only written a new book and splitted it in two, but I have also created a new short story collection, you can purchase NOW!"
In an ideal world. Just saying.  ;)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2020, 09:24:39 PM »
LOL!
JB is now ready to be focus in the CS world. But I think we will have more interviews, so we will probably learn more about the new DF book.
Missing you, Md