Author Topic: Things you wish Harry said or did in PT / BG  (Read 4067 times)

Offline jmotivator

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Things you wish Harry said or did in PT / BG
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2020, 04:33:04 PM »
Not so much Harry, but I kept hoping that Karen would pick up Amoracchius.

I mean, the story has been screaming for her to become a knight since Michael set the sword down.  At the time Karen refused to take up the sword because she was dedicated to Chicago PD, but once she lost her job there was nothing in her way.  It's the Sword of Love, fer cryin' out loud... who better than Dresden's love to take it up?

Heck, she'd be the only knight of faith!   ;) (Is Butters Catholic?  I can't remember)

But she never took up the sword, alas.

I still think, at some point, Karen is coming back and taking up the sword because it was supposed to happen, durnit.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 07:30:51 PM »
Butters is Jewish, IIRC.
Perhaps MM Murphy took the sword? That would be interesting.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 08:29:12 PM »
Not so much Harry, but I kept hoping that Karen would pick up Amoracchius.

I mean, the story has been screaming for her to become a knight since Michael set the sword down.  At the time Karen refused to take up the sword because she was dedicated to Chicago PD, but once she lost her job there was nothing in her way.  It's the Sword of Love, fer cryin' out loud... who better than Dresden's love to take it up?

Heck, she'd be the only knight of faith!   ;) (Is Butters Catholic?  I can't remember)

But she never took up the sword, alas.

I still think, at some point, Karen is coming back and taking up the sword because it was supposed to happen, durnit.

Karrin was never going to take up one of the Swords full-time, they aren't her style. She's more about punishing the guilty then protecting the innocent.

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2020, 11:35:02 PM »
Whole point with being a Knight is sort of you agree of being a tool of Divine Providence. You don't have to faithful, you don't have to be saint.
But you agree to serve something higher than you.

And Murphy was not willing to do it, because she was strong and independent, and frankly her Catholicism was mostly an excuse to avoid unwanted threesomes offers from valkyries :P

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2020, 04:25:52 AM »
Whole point with being a Knight is sort of you agree of being a tool of Divine Providence. You don't have to faithful, you don't have to be saint.
But you agree to serve something higher than you.

And Murphy was not willing to do it, because she was strong and independent, and frankly her Catholicism was mostly an excuse to avoid unwanted threesomes offers from valkyries :P

She still thought like a cop, except she forgot the bit where a cop enforces the law, they are not judge, jury, and executioner.  Her time as a vigilante changed her outlook that way.  She also didn't like playing sock puppet for an archangel.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2020, 04:57:35 AM »
She still thought like a cop, except she forgot the bit where a cop enforces the law, they are not judge, jury, and executioner.  Her time as a vigilante changed her outlook that way.  She also didn't like playing sock puppet for an archangel.

Her time as a vigilante changed nothing there, she did exactly the same thing way back in Fool Moon.

No jurisdiction? Who cares, investigate anyway.
No evidence? Fuck it, arrest Harry on a gut feeling and then assault him in custody as a bonus.

Murphy was always a Maverick Cop That Played By Her Own Rules(tm) it's only because she was competent (and creative with her reports) that she lasted as long on the force as she did.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2020, 06:03:08 AM »
She worked for SI for years. No support from above, hide the supernatural with creative reporting because that is expected from you, solve your own problems, ....

She never had a normal police job.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2020, 06:16:43 AM »
She worked for SI for years. No support from above, hide the supernatural with creative reporting because that is expected from you, solve your own problems, ....

She never had a normal police job.

Yeah, she did.  She was an ordinary beat cop in Restoration of Faith.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2020, 06:23:20 AM »
Yeah, she did.  She was an ordinary beat cop in Restoration of Faith.
Long ago and those were not her formative years.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2020, 06:49:14 AM »
Long ago and those were not her formative years.

Maybe, maybe not, she came in contact with Harry then and was introduced to trolls for the first time.  It doesn't matter how long ago it was, she still went to and graduated from the academy.  She was indoctrinated with the values of a police officer, they formed the foundation of who she was.  In the first two books of the series, that foundation was very apparent, under the influence of Harry and what she saw with her own eyes, she evolved.  But when push came to shove, because of that foundation in law enforcement, she wasn't able to be a Holy Knight beyond that one night in C.I..