Author Topic: Various Storm Front  (Read 1851 times)

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Various Storm Front
« on: October 28, 2020, 03:01:48 AM »
Reading our daughter Storm Front

1) Dresden is clear he claimed self-defense, but doesn't say he fought Justin. It may have been murder- killed Justin when Justin didn't know he was there.
2) Sounds like Sells was a proxy for Papa Raith. He worked for SilverCo
3) Expected Checkov's guns:
A) Chauncy
B) Channeling a storm
C) Someone "really pisses him off" and he does the heart spell.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Various Storm Front
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 06:52:07 PM »
2) Sounds like Sells was a proxy for Papa Raith. He worked for SilverCo
Yes!  This doesn't get nearly as much attention as it should.  He worked for SilverCo, got magical books from someone, and focused his spellwork on sex energy.

The Wamps love Silver, Raith has a library of magical books that Thomas mentioned to Harry, he's trained amateurs in magic before, and of course he'd recommend sex energy for magic.

Raith is too important to Harry's story to already be done as a villain, so he's gotta make a comeback somehow.  Especially if he's tied into the early plots more than we suspected, like with Sells. 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 07:26:55 PM »
Raith is too important to Harry's story to already be done as a villain, so he's gotta make a comeback somehow.
Ok, so we don't know how Margaret's death curse works. Maybe it's only attached to Harry and Thomas. It's not fueled by her bloodline. Just the two of them. It stopped being fueled by Harry when he died. Any of the times. Now that Thomas is imprisoned, he's not fueling it anymore. Lord Raith is now free.

Alternatively, it was only ever tied to Harry, and Lord Raith has been free and secretly building up his strength since Changes.

@BrainFireBob: I'm assuming these are your thoughts on rereading because of Papa Raith, but I could see how some of them could be your daughter's reaction.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 03:37:54 AM »
Ok, so we don't know how Margaret's death curse works. Maybe it's only attached to Harry and Thomas. It's not fueled by her bloodline. Just the two of them. It stopped being fueled by Harry when he died. Any of the times. Now that Thomas is imprisoned, he's not fueling it anymore. Lord Raith is now free.

Alternatively, it was only ever tied to Harry, and Lord Raith has been free and secretly building up his strength since Changes.
The interesting thing is the connection between Raith and the Outsiders. 
  • Raith's protection spell is (presumed to be) provided by Outside.
  • His disciple Madge summoned Behind.
  • His nephew wasn't just unknowingly working for greater powers, he was confirmed as possessed by an Outsider (Before, via loose WoJ)
li] Beside possessed Justine, which gave him access to Raith.[/li]
[/list]
That dude is neck deep in all of it. So if it's Maggie's curse ending, or Beside helping him via Justine, or some other method, He's definitely not done, story-wise.

(There was a time I thought Raith was possessed by Beside, who was doubling the protection to spell to protect his anchor host in reality, but that would all but require that he be able to have multiple hosts)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 02:05:22 PM »
(There was a time I thought Raith was possessed by Beside, who was doubling the protection to spell to protect his anchor host in reality, but that would all but require that he be able to have multiple hosts)

I think it is possible, I think Lord Raith is patient zero for Nemesis.  That is why in Blood Rites when
Harry went after him he felt in him and around him, "nothing."

I reach out through the can for Lord Raith-- And felt nothing.  Not just empty air and
drifting dust, but nothing. A cold and somehow hungry emptiness that filled the space where he should have been.

To me that describes, "empty night."   

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 04:47:46 PM »
    • His nephew wasn't just unknowingly working for greater powers, he was confirmed as possessed by an Outsider (Before, via loose WoJ)
    Should we reexamine that WoJ in light of Beside? I don't recall it at all, so I can't say.

I'm firmly in the camp that Beside can possess multiple "people" at a time.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
    • Seriously?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 05:36:49 PM »
    Should we reexamine that WoJ in light of Beside? I don't recall it at all, so I can't say.

I'm firmly in the camp that Beside can possess multiple "people" at a time.
    I'm the only person that remembers that one because I was involved, and it's dubious at best, but I'm sticking to it.
    https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/status/636495304380973056?s=09

I'm fine with that idea of Beside possessing multiple, but only up to three simultaneously.  More would be too convenient.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 05:41:26 PM »
    I'm the only person that remembers that one because I was involved, and it's dubious at best, but I'm sticking to it.
    https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/status/636495304380973056?s=09

I'm fine with that idea of Beside possessing multiple, but only up to three simultaneously.  More would be too convenient.

I agree, I also worry about the number of star borns that seem to be cropping up.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 09:19:31 PM »
    What are the common magical numbers? There's 3, 7, and 13. Are there any other common ones? I know 12 and 40 are common biblical numbers and Harry and Murphy talked about how somebody had 40 guys.

My guess is 13 because it's been a magical limit at least twice. The LotON were 13 as well, but I don't think that's necessarily evidence of it being a limit. It's just another time it's shown up.

Until I see something else, my money's on 13.