Author Topic: Harry's Build-a-Fear [BG & Future book news spoilers]  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Harry's Build-a-Fear [BG & Future book news spoilers]
« on: October 25, 2020, 07:12:31 PM »
As TCF shared here, the next book might not be Mirror Mirror, but instead a book spanning the year between BG and the wedding, where Harry deals with his trauma and completes some sort of therapy.

Thinking about what a villain for such a book might be, I realized that BG kind of set up a scenario where Harry might create his own enemy.
  • Per Bob, tulpas might have been generated in BG through collective fear and chaotic power. Tulpas are beings created from strong emotions, feelings, and thoughts. In Supernatural, a shared belief in something created that thing in the form of a tulpa.
  • Harry is suffering from conjuritis, where his thoughts are manifested using ectoplasm.
  • Harry's had a ton of mental trauma, to the point that he's going to have a book dedicated to it.
  • Harry's more powerful than most wizards his age, and conjuritis is rare at his age, possibly to the point to the effects might not well be known.

So, let's speculate that Harry is going to have a nervous breakdown, and his conjuritis is going to create a tulpa from his power and fear.

What tulpa would you want to see created, and what would it do?

Personally, I'd want it to be his Id self. Rather than being something attacking him, I'd want it to watch his deepest fears, literally.  I'd want it to be a version of him that gives in to its desires and tries to kill things that Harry wouldn't (Mab, Marcone, Rudolph, ghouls, etc) in order to make Harry safer.

It'd need to not be evil, per se, because that would be saved for the mirror mirror version.  And I think if they were similar enough but different enough, it could be done well, to the point that Harry having faced his own fears and issues in this next book would help him deal with the mirror situation better.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Harry's Build-a-Fear [BG & Future book news spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 01:00:55 AM »
If the 'action' plot isn't tracking down Justine and exorcising her, resolving that is going to have to be either awkwardly shoehorned in at the end of MM, or wait for the wrestling book.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 02:35:48 AM »
With a side helping of the Genoskwa coming in for revenge.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 02:48:43 AM »

That would fit well adjacent to lessons with River, since we learned more about the relation between them in PT.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 03:07:44 AM »
That would fit well adjacent to lessons with River, since we learned more about the relation between them in PT.

I can see Harry learning something about shape shifting from him, and some interaction with Listens to Wind, even if Harry is no longer a part of the White Council.  Harry can also benefit from their wisdom and outlook on life.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 04:38:57 AM »
If the 'action' plot isn't tracking down Justine and exorcising her, resolving that is going to have to be either awkwardly shoehorned in at the end of MM, or wait for the wrestling book.
Does it have to be resolved, though?  Or can we leave Justine infected for a few books, making her relevant beyond Thomas's girlfriend?

I mean I'm fine with the next book having Thomas be healed, Justine being saved, and the wedding between Lara and Harry being a double wedding between Thomas and Justine.  But I think it'd be interesting to have Justine remain infected and a hostage host for Beside.

I can see Harry learning something about shape shifting from him, and some interaction with Listens to Wind, even if Harry is no longer a part of the White Council.  Harry can also benefit from their wisdom and outlook on life.
I think it would depend on the nature of Harry's therapy.  I don't know who Harry would trust with his inner thoughts and fears and secrets, but River would be an ideal candidate.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 06:12:30 AM »
Justine baby should be born not too long after CE. I really hope the new book deals with that. I believe that keeping Thomas on the fridge and Justine in the wind for more than a year makes no sense, so I am wishing my best wishes that the problem is solved in the next book. Jim said that trauma and all that won't be the only things happening in the book so I hope that at least they solve something.

Also, do you think that at the end of the book we will have LTW answer to Harry?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 11:06:02 AM »
Justine baby should be born not too long after CE. I really hope the new book deals with that. I believe that keeping Thomas on the fridge and Justine in the wind for more than a year makes no sense, so I am wishing my best wishes that the problem is solved in the next book. Jim said that trauma and all that won't be the only things happening in the book so I hope that at least they solve something.

Also, do you think that at the end of the book we will have LTW answer to Harry?

I hope so, Listens to Wind is a man of his word and sees into people's hearts more than most.  I also think what he promised in Battle Ground underscores what he said to him back in Turn Coat, that Harry needed more training, but not in the way he thinks. From Listens and Rivershoulders, Harry can learn how to achieve an inner calm, something he needs very much.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 04:41:10 PM »
The focus has been on the changes to reality wrought by the use of the Eye in creating Tulsa’s.

However the Spear of Destiny was also in play, and it was described as being hyper real. Surely this affected things as well and the two things it may have affected most are Harry’s staff and Harry himself. The likely effects are that it made Harry’s Staff the perfect shaft for the spear. Harry was able to fully charge his staff in seconds rather than an hour, granted Harry attributed this to the magic in the air, but I suspect he will find this much easier in the future.

Harry himself may have been changed to become the perfect wielder of the Spear, his power and focus enhanced specifically for its use.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 05:48:29 PM »
For Dresden's personal tulpa? It would take the form of all the people he couldn't save to come haunt him..

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 06:33:25 PM »
It’s Ronald McDonald

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 07:21:53 PM »
It’s Ronald McDonald

Naw, better the Hamburgerler....

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 09:37:44 PM »
It’s Ronald McDonald
Naw, better the Hamburgerler....
Please, he's a huge fan of Burger King.  It'd have to be the King.

For Dresden's personal tulpa? It would take the form of all the people he couldn't save to come haunt him..
That'd be one type of tulpa. I was thinking one that wouldn't be haunting him, but it could do that.  But would that be any different than a phobophage trying to torture him?

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 01:48:29 AM »

LtW may not be too thrilled at Langtry taking advantage of him being away and then in surgery to make big moves, no. He and Rashid are probably more reliable than Eb right now.

But, I'm not sure he's going to be independently mobile unless he can heal himself with shapeshifting. If he's in a wheelchair, telling a warden bodyguard squad to take him to a secret meeting with the exile isn't really viable.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 03:43:26 AM »

But, I'm not sure he's going to be independently mobile unless he can heal himself with shapeshifting. If he's in a wheelchair, telling a warden bodyguard squad to take him to a secret meeting with the exile isn't really viable.

I doubt he could heal himself beyond what the normal quick pace of wizard healing does.  I wonder if wizards are like vanilla humans, things don't heal as quickly as we get older.  However shape shifting could be a way around such problems. If his legs are crippled but his arms good, might he be a bird and fly?  Anyway, as you know if Jim repeats himself on something pointedly in the series, it is going to happen in one form or another.  Though I cannot find the exact passage, but I seem to remember Listens to Wind offering to help Harry to deal with his anger.  In Battle Ground Rivershoulders, who trained Listens to Wind offered to advance some training to Harry, Listens to Wind also promised to tell Harry just what in the hell he is and why he is.  One of the stages of grief is anger, another is denial, another is bargaining, I cannot remember all of them, but it ends in acceptance.  Listens to Wind knows a bit about that, if anyone can help Harry, he is the one to do it.  And as an American Indian shaman as well as a medical doctor and wizard, he might just defy the Council and do it.