Author Topic: [BG Spoilers] A question that has been bothering me  (Read 3154 times)

Offline anghammarad

• Lurker
    • View Profile
[BG Spoilers] A question that has been bothering me
« on: October 26, 2020, 11:17:40 PM »
There is something I don't quite understand.

Toward the end of BG Harry and Lara are talking and Harry is thinking the following:
"Neither one of us liked thinking about the fact that not only had we lost Thomas; we’d failed him, too."
It is the lost Thomas part that is bothering me.  I don't remember anything happening to Thomas other than him sort of being in stasis in a cell.  The phrasing here seems to imply to me that he might be dead.  Am I reading this wrong?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: [BG Spoilers] A question that has been bothering me
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 04:03:38 AM »

Toward the end of BG Harry and Lara are talking and Harry is thinking the following:
"Neither one of us liked thinking about the fact that not only had we lost Thomas; we’d failed him, too."
It is the lost Thomas part that is bothering me.  I don't remember anything happening to Thomas other than him sort of being in stasis in a cell.  The phrasing here seems to imply to me that he might be dead.  Am I reading this wrong?
Thomas is not only stuck in a cell, he's basically fatally wounded, also Justine is still possessed and his child is still in danger. Things can still be salvaged but the overall Thomas/Justine situation is looking pretty grim at the time when that line is said.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 05:14:04 PM »
Thomas is not only stuck in a cell, he's basically fatally wounded.
He was fatally wounded and taken to an island by a wizard where he was placed in stasis. I think I just found another argument for Thomas to wield Amoracchius.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 05:28:52 PM »
He was fatally wounded and taken to an island by a wizard where he was placed in stasis. I think I just found another argument for Thomas to wield Amoracchius.

How is that an argument? 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 06:21:22 PM »
It's exactly what happened to King Arthur. Both King Arthur and Thomas were fatally wounded and taken to an island by a wizard where they were placed in stasis.

It's a parallel between the two characters. Such parallels can be used as foreshadowing.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 06:38:17 PM »
It's exactly what happened to King Arthur. Both King Arthur and Thomas were fatally wounded and taken to an island by a wizard where they were placed in stasis.

It's a parallel between the two characters. Such parallels can be used as foreshadowing.

Sort of, according to Morte D'Authur, Authur and Modred slay each other at the Battle of Camlan. Excalibur was thrown into the lake by Sir Bedivere and received by the Lady of the Lake. His body is taken away by ship by three queens, his sister, Queen Morgane le Fay, Viviane, the Lady of the Lake, and the queen of North Galis.  Some say he isn't dead, and others say he is buried at Gastonbury..
On his tomb it is written;

Hic  jacet Arthurs, Rex quondam, Rexque futurus, Or, Here Arthur lies, King once and King to be.

So not really the same at all.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 07:04:28 PM »
There's a large variety of accounts of the legend. People have been retelling and reimagining this story for a thousand years. I've seen two new movies and a tv series in the past few years. Patrick Stewart has been in at least two retellings. There isn't exactly a canon for the story. So, I should have said it's exactly what happened to King Arthur in some of the stories I've seen.

Even if Mallory's work was the canon that Jim must, by royal decree, work from, it's close enough to create a parallel. He was taken there by a Queen, a Valkyrie, Murphy (who the ancient prophesies say will one day become Mab through time travel shenanigans), and with the assistance of Molly, a fairy queen.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 07:11:18 PM »
There's a large variety of accounts of the legend. People have been retelling and reimagining this story for a thousand years. I've seen two new movies and a tv series in the past few years. Patrick Stewart has been in at least two retellings. There isn't exactly a canon for the story. So, I should have said it's exactly what happened to King Arthur in some of the stories I've seen.

Even if Mallory's work was the canon that Jim must, by royal decree, work from, it's close enough to create a parallel. He was taken there by a Queen, a Valkyrie, Murphy (who the ancient prophesies say will one day become Mab through time travel shenanigans), and with the assistance of Molly, a fairy queen.

But that doesn't make Thomas, Arthur, or anything like Arthur.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 07:25:01 PM »
But that doesn't make Thomas, Arthur, or anything like Arthur.
1. Yes it does. Like how Harry is like Hades. They have some commonalities.

2. Butters saying "not until I have a functional lightsaber" doesn't make him Luke or anything like Luke, but it does hint that he's going to get a lightsaber.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 07:28:43 PM »

What are those commonalities?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 07:32:03 PM »

Butcher needed Thomas out of the way for the marriage arc. So he hurt him and put on that he was fatally injured.  While he's in there Lara can't use him.  And it puts him on ice until he is needed, if he is needed.  It was very hand wavy. 

There is redemption arc in there somewhere.  He had to face what he had done as a vampire.  Without some type of redemption getting a sword would have been odd.  No version of the Arthurian legend has anyone carrying the sword be an unredeemed serial killer.

Offline anghammarad

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 09:11:00 PM »
Butcher needed Thomas out of the way for the marriage arc. So he hurt him and put on that he was fatally injured.  While he's in there Lara can't use him.  And it puts him on ice until he is needed, if he is needed.  It was very hand wavy. 

There is redemption arc in there somewhere.  He had to face what he had done as a vampire.  Without some type of redemption getting a sword would have been odd.  No version of the Arthurian legend has anyone carrying the sword be an unredeemed serial killer.
Interesting, I had never considered Thomas as a candidate for knight of the cross.  There certainly was a lot of screaming when he went into stasis.  I suppose that could be a step towards redemption.
Anyway, Thomas is most certainly not dead.  Glad to hear it.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 09:43:45 PM »
Nahh, Thomas isn't getting a sword. Thomas, with all the self control he went through back during his hunger strike, will get the WK mantle. Amoracchius is going to Molly after she loses the WL mantle. She picks up her father's sword, just like Arthur did in some of the tellings.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Wondering Wanderer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 05:06:26 AM »
Thomas as the Winter Knight could actually work.  Suppose Justine and the child disappear or die.  Thomas agrees to accept the knight's mantle to be released from Demonreach and free Harry for whatever comes next.  That puts him in place to work with Lady Molly, someone who soul gazed him early in the case files and with whom he has an established relationship . Mab gets her Winter - White Court alliance without Harry's wedding.  Of course, Mab doesn't let anything happen until the night before or day of the ceremony. . .

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 07:05:28 AM »
I like the Arthur/Thomas parallelism. In most versions, Morgane was Arthur's half-sister, which would make Lara the Morgane. She is not a witch, but I think the description "enchantress" fits her well.

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)