Author Topic: [BG spoilers!!] Like the n_  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
[BG spoilers!!] Like the n_
« on: October 22, 2020, 04:56:25 AM »
So, in BG, when talking about soulgazes (for the first time in the novel, with the kraken) he said "If you see something bad enough, such as the n-" and then he adds "-something bad enough". What I am wondering is, what does he mean by "n-"? Naagloshii? It seems probable, as they are awful and Harry is afraid of them. But if that is the case, why not simply saying it? And why it is not N-, with capital letter? I think Naagloshii is always written with N.

So?? I can think a fitting word with n, necromancer, but I can't see Harry saying "the n-" instead of "a n-".

I'd like to read your comments on the subject.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: [BG spoilers!!] Like the n_
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 05:13:34 AM »
So, in BG, when talking about soulgazes (for the first time in the novel, with the kraken) he said "If you see something bad enough, such as the n-" and then he adds "-something bad enough". What I am wondering is, what does he mean by "n-"? Naagloshii? It seems probable, as they are awful and Harry is afraid of them. But if that is the case, why not simply saying it? And why it is not N-, with capital letter? I think Naagloshii is always written with N.

So?? I can think a fitting word with n, necromancer, but I can't see Harry saying "the n-" instead of "a n-".

If I remember correctly he saw the Naagloshii with his wizard's sight not in a soul gaze, but what he saw was so horrible it took Harry several hours to recover.  It could be that just saying the name gives him PTSD flashbacks so better to just say, "n."

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 05:26:09 AM »

It's the same mental hiccup from Cold Days, he tries to avoid thinking about skinwalkers to avoid flashing back to what he saw in Turn Coat.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 05:47:56 AM »
That is fine, it was my first idea (even when I did not remember it in CD). So, the word he was avoiding is Naagloshii (no matter the capital N)? I just found it weird that JB has not been more explicit. But thank you (and Mira).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 09:04:43 AM »
Both Wizards Sight and Soul Gaze are indelible memories, and the failure to capitalise the N in Naagloshii is a mental device to divert Harry from accessing that memory, minimising it.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 10:11:57 AM »
I like that  :D
Missing you, Md 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 11:07:12 AM »
He uses the same technique to avoid thinking of the Athame, for a different reason.

Elaine was able to weaponise memories, Harry should weaponise that memory.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 01:05:17 PM »
He uses the same technique to avoid thinking of the Athame, for a different reason.

He has to be able to cope with it first.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 06:44:20 PM »
He has to be able to cope with it first.

This. Harry suppresses that memory whenever it pops up for good reason- last time he got a look at it, he spend several hours reciting prime numbers in order to hold on to his sanity.

And because it's a Sight memory, it will never fade or dull.

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 07:47:43 PM »
Doesn't the Nag also gain power when brought up? Something about the more they're discussed, the more they gain or remain? There was a conversation about not mentioning them because you never know who might be listening or that the person you're speaking to could be one.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 08:05:16 PM »

A pity he didn't try that in Ghost Story. That would have been a hell of a sucker punch to use on Corpsetaker, and throwing it as a weapon in ghost form might have been a loophole to allow forgetting it.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 01:56:03 PM »
Doesn't the Nag also gain power when brought up? Something about the more they're discussed, the more they gain or remain? There was a conversation about not mentioning them because you never know who might be listening or that the person you're speaking to could be one.

You draw their attention, remember in BG Harry was able to summon Titania by a mere three recitations of her name, no ceremony, but then Harry draws her attention for other reasons. In SG, everyone was unhappy about using Hades name for the same reason. Any wizard saying a Naagloshii’s true name would draw their attention, but Naagloshii is a species name not personal name.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 02:39:10 PM »
Pretty sure they draw power from the spread of their existence too. Maybe the natives are trying to oblivate them and they're close?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 08:13:06 PM »
This. Harry suppresses that memory whenever it pops up for good reason- last time he got a look at it, he spend several hours reciting prime numbers in order to hold on to his sanity.

And because it's a Sight memory, it will never fade or dull.

I appreciate so much the moment in CE when he mentioned that the money number were with prime numbers. It was a call out to that Naagloshii moment, and it was a subtle, perfect way to show how disturbing it was for Harry to think in all the casualties of the battle. Whenever his mind is overwhelmed, Harry comes back to math.
Missing you, Md