Author Topic: Is it just me or...is Mab in trouble now? *SPOILERS from PT & BG*  (Read 3527 times)

Offline funnyhalo

• Participant
    • View Profile
*Spoilers*
So, after listening to the book a second time, something occurred to me. If this has been brought up before, please let me know.

So, what I am thinking is...when it was time for Harry and Justine to leave for the Island, Harry made a point that he wasn't going to walk there (the Beach, where the Blue Beetle is docked), understandable for what he went through the past few hours... so he ends up riding Mab's personal Steed and focus of Magic, much like his own staff. Along with Justine. We know Harry's Starborn status protects him from Nemfection...so him being so close to Justine by riding horse back, not a big deal.

But what about the Steed itself? If Cat Sith, Lea, Maeve, Aurora, and a dagger could be infected, I don't see why a unicorn couldn't, and thus spread its infection into Mab. I don't know about you guys, but Mab becoming Nemfected? That sort of screams "Apocalypse", especially since a nemfected Mab (Nab?) could just open the outer gates.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me or...is Mab in trouble now? *SPOILERS from PT & BG*
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 05:32:06 AM »
I always thought that Mab would be nemfected sooner or later. I have a couple of pet theories beginning with that, but I don't know how she be infected. I had not read anyone suggesting it would be because o the unicorn. It's as possible of several other things but more original, so it is a good idea. I don't know if true or nor, but a very good idea.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 06:18:28 AM »
Wasn't there a WoJ about the power level where Nemfection was impossible, with Mab being the first 'safe' tier?

I recall something like that, at least.

Offline Smaug with OCD

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 07:49:01 AM »
Wasn't there a WoJ about the power level where Nemfection was impossible, with Mab being the first 'safe' tier?

I hadn't heard that. But, even if it isn't true, I would have problems accepting the unicorn as a source of Mab's Nemfection for two key reasons. First, she is the one that sent Harry and Justine off with her horny sparkle horse of doom. So, she knows Justine was in contact with it. Secondly, she was in the room while Harry and Lara discussed saving Justine from possession by HWWBside. Knowing both these facts and how scary paranoid and competent Mab is... I think the chances of her NOT going over her pony with a fine-tooth comb of icy torture rehabilitation are slim to none, if not in the full-on negatives.
Cookies are awesome. Join the Dark Side.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 10:00:42 AM »
Yes but does the unicorn have a snowflake Cutie mark? And does being allowed to ride it make Harry a Brony?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 11:07:47 AM »

I had always thought that Mab had been infected or she was treating herself like she was.  She was in ice along side Lea when she was treated in Proven Guilty.  Now that could just be hiding in plain sight, and if was infected and cured, does that make her immune?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 11:45:19 AM »

I had always thought that Mab had been infected or she was treating herself like she was.  She was in ice along side Lea when she was treated in Proven Guilty.  Now that could just be hiding in plain sight, and if was infected and cured, does that make her immune?
I do not think she could have cured Lea if infected and I do think the gates would already have been broken if she was.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 01:47:11 PM »
I do not think she could have cured Lea if infected and I do think the gates would already have been broken if she was.

However the scene was ambiguous enough to make one wonder.  Because she was also in ice along side of Lea.  Now it could have been simply hiding in plain sight.  Or she may not have been infected, but Mab had been in contact with the Knife, she wore it on her hip for a time.  So as a preventive measure, she quarantined herself and took some treatment.  I think it is also possible that the Sidhe do know when they are infected and have a choice.  For example, and yeah, not all that clear either, but Lea seemed to have become aware that she was infected first, then asked Mab to help her, and she was given the ice treatment.  Which seems successful as Nemesis hadn't gotten to ingrained in Lea yet.  Perhaps Mab did feel some symptoms?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 03:29:19 PM »
However the scene was ambiguous enough to make one wonder.  Because she was also in ice along side of Lea. 
I never read it that way. I just assumed she used the statue in some way.
Now it could have been simply hiding in plain sight.  Or she may not have been infected, but Mab had been in contact with the Knife, she wore it on her hip for a time. 
She knew what it was so took precautions. I think she had it with her because it was too dangerous to leave it alone.
So as a preventive measure, she quarantined herself and took some treatment.  I think it is also possible that the Sidhe do know when they are infected and have a choice.
Aurora never knew. Cat Sith only became aware of it when Harry told him.

Lea is some levels above that. Maybe she became aware because Nemesis tried to do too much at once.

For example, and yeah, not all that clear either, but Lea seemed to have become aware that she was infected first, then asked Mab to help her, and she was given the ice treatment.  Which seems successful as Nemesis hadn't gotten to ingrained in Lea yet.  Perhaps Mab did feel some symptoms?
She knows far more about these things than we do. I do not think she let herself be infected from a known source.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 05:15:55 PM »

I don't remember if Mab was mentioned. I remember angels, but I can't remember if it was all angels, or just archangels. A recent WoJ said the 30 fallen in the coins could be infected, but that there wouldn't be much of a point because they can't change (or something).

Yes but does the unicorn have a snowflake Cutie mark? And does being allowed to ride it make Harry a Brony?
No, but having a ten year old little girl very well might. My Little Ponies is one of my big blind spots in "child culture." None of my nieces are into it and neither were my sisters when they were kids.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 05:31:42 PM »
She knew what it was so took precautions. I think she had it with her because it was too dangerous to leave it alone.

Did she?  She had it on her hip before it was ever mentioned that Lea was infected.
Aurora never knew. Cat Sith only became aware of it when Harry told him.

Lea is some levels above that. Maybe she became aware because Nemesis tried to do too much at once.

Or they made a choice to go along with the infestation.

She knows far more about these things than we do. I do not think she let herself be infected from a known source.

But she didn't know at first, that is why all her sorrow and regret over Maeve.  By the time she did figure it out and the source it was too late, Maeve was beyond curing.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 05:50:08 PM »
Did she?  She had it on her hip before it was ever mentioned that Lea was infected.
Dead beat. Lea was already in custody because that is why Mab showed up  so Mab knew.
Or they made a choice to go along with the infestation.
Maeve did but I think she is the exception. Every time someone is infected or possessed the victim is blamed on this forum. Harry assumed Cat Sith was jumped, he did not agree to it and resisted when he was made aware of it.

Lea was tricked. She resisted as well. Aurora was not aware of her situation. I think that is how it started and the victim is often not aware. Realization comes with resistance which can lead to total possession.
But she didn't know at first, that is why all her sorrow and regret over Maeve.  By the time she did figure it out and the source it was too late, Maeve was beyond curing.
Maeve was only beyond curing because she did not want to be cured. Sarissa specifically asked for her cooperation but she refused.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 06:38:07 PM »
I agree with your post, Arjan.

Perhaps one that only Mab can see  :). About your second question, of course.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 07:33:22 PM »
Dead beat. Lea was already in custody because that is why Mab showed up  so Mab knew.

Yes, but I believe there is a scene in Summer Knight where Mab does show up with the Knife in her belt or on her hip.  I will have to go back and double check but that passage sticks in my head.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 07:36:23 PM »
Yes, but I believe there is a scene in Summer Knight where Mab does show up with the Knife in her belt or on her hip.  I will have to go back and double check but that passage sticks in my head.

When Harry tries to summon Lea, and Mab indicates she is "indisposed." Lea is on ice at that point, that is "indisposed."