Author Topic: Anyone Else Surprised or Disappointed That Harry  (Read 21438 times)

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Else Surprised or Disappointed That Harry
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2020, 02:03:52 PM »
I don't think that will happen, simply because Harry is a parent now.  He wants to be a good parent, he also has Michael mentoring him on that subject.  A good parent cannot be immature nor narcissistic.  Reread Christmas Eve.

Thank you for the advise on rereading but I already have several times and am still allowed to have/express my counter opinion.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2020, 03:42:31 PM »
Thank you for the advise on rereading but I already have several times and am still allowed to have/express my counter opinion.

Of course, as do we all, and you still could be right about how Harry turns out in the end.  However it is very clear in Christmas Eve, that Harry wants to be a good parent to Maggie.  It is also clear that Michael is his role modal as to what a good father should be and how one should act.  Parents everywhere are flawed human beings, but a consistently good parent, isn't immature nor narcissistic.
It may happen sometimes,but they fight it.  Harry knows it isn't all about him, he wants to bring joy to little Maggie so he continues the frustrating job of the bike assembly and finds the reward there.  It isn't just Murphy's death that he is grieving, it is for all those who had died and got hurt.  He felt their pain when they fought under his banner, he felt their deaths, I believe that too has changed him..  Yes, he will always be a smart ass, because that is who he is, a smart ass, however I think we will find him less immature in the future applying it.  He is all about his daughter, he knows he has been arrogant, he knows it isn't all about him, and he is striving to do better..  So maybe you don't have hope for Harry, but I do, or have hope that he is headed in the right direction.   

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 16, 2020, 04:17:49 PM »
Of course, as do we all, and you still could be right about how Harry turns out in the end.  However it is very clear in Christmas Eve, that Harry wants to be a good parent to Maggie.  It is also clear that Michael is his role modal as to what a good father should be and how one should act.  Parents everywhere are flawed human beings, but a consistently good parent, isn't immature nor narcissistic.
It may happen sometimes, but they fight it.  Harry knows it isn't all about him, he wants to bring joy to little Maggie so he continues the frustrating job of the bike assembly and finds the reward there.  It isn't just Murphy's death that he is grieving, it is for all those who had died and got hurt.  He felt their pain when they fought under his banner, he felt their deaths, I believe that too has changed him..  Yes, he will always be a smart ass, because that is who he is, a smart ass, however I think we will find him less immature in the future applying it.  He is all about his daughter, he knows he has been arrogant, he knows it isn't all about him, and he is striving to do better..  So maybe you don't have hope for Harry, but I do, or have hope that he is headed in the right direction.

I don't imagine any parent wanting to be a bad parent, every one wants to be the best there is. If they are insane, would they know it? The "Hero's Journey" is always to goal of every author too. My point is that JB seems a bit long in having Harry come to that important realization in his life where he understands that his attitude is only cool to him, ie he succeeds in spite of his mouth, not because of it. Michael is a good role model, has Michael been taken by Nemesis though?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 16, 2020, 04:38:17 PM »
I don't imagine any parent wanting to be a bad parent, every one wants to be the best there is. If they are insane, would they know it? The "Hero's Journey" is always to goal of every author too. My point is that JB seems a bit long in having Harry come to that important realization in his life where he understands that his attitude is only cool to him, ie he succeeds in spite of his mouth, not because of it. Michael is a good role model, has Michael been taken by Nemesis though?

I very much doubt that,  I don't think Michael's angelgoonsquad would allow that.  I think Harry is beginning to realize that he attitude is only cool to him.  As to parents, if asked, no, nobody wants to be a bad parent, but there are sure a lot of them out there, ranging from abusive to indifferent and  over indulgent.. Being a good parent takes work.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 16, 2020, 07:45:53 PM »
A lot of work. That is one of my reasons for hating Maggie's existence. She has changed Harry (as she should). As Mira says, he is now more mature and less narcissistic. He is becoming a better man. But one that is less fun to read about.

I don't think Michael is nemfected either. In fact, I suspect that the fact that Molly can enters the home is a hint that she is not nemfected.

I am wondering if there is a way to detect nemfections. Soulgazes? the Sight? Mouse? Can any of those detect it?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 16, 2020, 08:12:07 PM »
A lot of work. That is one of my reasons for hating Maggie's existence. She has changed Harry (as she should). As Mira says, he is now more mature and less narcissistic. He is becoming a better man. But one that is less fun to read about.

I don't think Michael is nemfected either. In fact, I suspect that the fact that Molly can enters the home is a hint that she is not nemfected.

I am wondering if there is a way to detect nemfections. Soulgazes? the Sight? Mouse? Can any of those detect it?

Mouse may be able to figure it out.  Harry has figured it out at least twice now, but he is still very slow.  Like Justine, he knew something was off about her when he went to tell her about Thomas. The he also says only a mortal can call up Outsider corner hounds, but the only "mortals" in the area besides himself and Eb were Justine and the doorman.  He made the wrong assumption about what Thomas was trying to tell him.  He had the dots, but was so distracted by everything he couldn't connect them.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 16, 2020, 09:51:52 PM »
First, I understood that Justine lived in a building, with several apartments and presumably people living in them. But besides that, who says there was a person in the street, or in another house? We don't know how big of the range, right? I mean, how close needs to be the summoner from its summoning. I think if it was so easy, Eb would have realized that much before Harry.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 17, 2020, 01:12:44 AM »
The story takes place during Changes. Ivy tells Kincaid to shoot Dresden in the chest or she'll come for him. She did that so that Harry had a chance.
Yes, but not 'a chance'. She's the Archive. She would know how Mab and Boney would respond.
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 17, 2020, 03:28:18 AM »
First, I understood that Justine lived in a building, with several apartments and presumably people living in them. But besides that, who says there was a person in the street, or in another house? We don't know how big of the range, right? I mean, how close needs to be the summoner from its summoning. I think if it was so easy, Eb would have realized that much before Harry.

True, but 1] Harry was a bit taken aback by Justine's initial reaction to the news.  Not that he's had a lot of experience breaking bad news to people, but something seemed off about it. However because of time and other pressures he dropped it. 2] While you are right there could of and should of been several people about, Harry only mentions two, Justine and the doorman.  I think he scanned the doorman with his wizard's sight, but I could be wrong about that.  That leaves Justine, who he didn't scan, the assumption being, she is an innocent bystander and victim, which turned out not to be true.  He also takes note, that it takes a mortal to call up and Outsider corner hound.. And of course another Outsider could do it.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 17, 2020, 03:43:21 AM »
I agree about 1 and yes, Harry Sighted the doorman, he was clean. I don't think an outsider can summon another outsider.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2020, 05:48:11 AM »
I agree about 1 and yes, Harry Sighted the doorman, he was clean. I don't think an outsider can summon another outsider.
But an infected or possessed mortal probably can.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 17, 2020, 08:59:55 AM »
Ah yes, you are right.
Missing you, Md