Author Topic: Maggie the Younger  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie the Younger
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 02:03:08 PM »
It might have skipped that newest one but the rest would be toast anyway.

I don't think so, if I understand the curse correctly, the only way to trigger the domino effect through the generation of a family is to kill the youngest/newest.  Now there is some speculation that there might have been a few in the Nevernever that the reverse curse may have missed, but none on this side.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 02:07:31 PM »
I don't think so, if I understand the curse correctly, the only way to trigger the domino effect through the generation of a family is to kill the youngest/newest.  Now there is some speculation that there might have been a few in the Nevernever that the reverse curse may have missed, but none on this side.
As I understood it the curse crawls up but not down. They could have sacrificed Harry to get Eb. The reason Harry told Susan she was the youngest is that they could get all of them
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 02:09:54 PM by Arjan »
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 08:52:20 PM »
As I understood it the curse crawls up but not down.
That's my understanding as well.

Timing is everything, not saying it is impossible and some other half turned decided to rip someone's throat out in anger a second after Susan and be the youngest, or somehow became half turned.
I think you're missing what I'm saying. If somebody got half-turned in Summer Knight, then they're a younger half-ramp than Susan was, so it's possible their ramp half counted as younger than Susan the ramp. They could still be a half ramp, or they could have succumbed to the thirst after Changes and become a full ramp.

There's nothing Jim's said or written that says this can't be the case, so if he decides to reintroduce ramps this way, he can. It's not foreclosed.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 09:01:03 PM »
It depends on what kind of reset/rebirth the conversion to full Ramp represents.

And also whether the curse moves laterally before vertically. Being a newborn Ramp may have made her sibling for a brief window to all fetal Ramps.

JB was clear that the Reds, unless somewhere the curse couldn't touch them, were gone, and the half-ramps were de-halved, with those who would still be alive as mortals surviving. Instead of arguing that the author is wrong given an interpretation, maybe look for the interpretation that matches the author's statement on the matter.

Offline Telynn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 09:39:02 PM »
Didn't someone say that all the half-vamps (St. Jiles) died as a result of what Harry did?  Or am I imagining that?

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 09:51:44 PM »
Most of them did. The youngest went back to being mortal with ripping tattoos. Depends on whether their mortal half could survive once the vampire half died. Rather sounded like aging caught up with them all at once.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2020, 10:00:12 PM »
Didn't someone say that all the half-vamps (St. Jiles) died as a result of what Harry did?  Or am I imagining that?

Yeah, that was the reason that Hannah Asher had a revenge boner for Harry. We also saw a bunch of them after Chicken Pizza:

Quote from: Changes Chapter 49
The Red Court was dead. Gone. Every one of them. Most of the remains were little more than black sludge. That, I thought, marked the dead vampires. The half-breeds, though, only lost the vampire parts of their nature. The curse had cured them.

Of course, it was the vampire inside them that had kept them young and beautiful.

I saw hundreds of people on the ground aging a year for every one of my breaths. I watched them wither away to nothing, for the most part. It seemed that half-breeds came in a couple of flavors - those who had managed to discipline their thirst for blood, and thus carried on for centuries, and those who had not been half-vampires for very long. Very few of the latter had ranked in the Red King's Court. It turned out that most of the young half vampires had been working for the Fellowship, and many had already been killed by the Reds - but I heard later that more than two hundred others had been freed from their curse.

Offline Telynn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2020, 10:03:23 PM »
Yeah, that was the reason that Hannah Asher had a revenge boner for Harry. We also saw a bunch of them after Chicken Pizza:

Thank you.  That's exactly the conversation I was thinking of.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 10:21:02 PM »
I think you're missing what I'm saying. If somebody got half-turned in Summer Knight, then they're a younger half-ramp than Susan was, so it's possible their ramp half counted as younger than Susan the ramp. They could still be a half ramp, or they could have succumbed to the thirst after Changes and become a full ramp.

I get what you are saying, however a half vamp, isn't a vamp, in fact as the Order of St Giles showed, more human than vamp.  Lose it and kill, then all vamp.  That is how the curse worked, it didn't matter that there might be more recent half vamps around, they don't count as vamps. Susan was the latest to become ALL vamp, thus she was the youngest, when Harry cut her throat, the dominoes began to fall. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 10:33:07 PM »
I get what you are saying, however a half vamp, isn't a vamp, in fact as the Order of St Giles showed, more human than vamp.  Lose it and kill, then all vamp.  That is how the curse worked, it didn't matter that there might be more recent half vamps around, they don't count as vamps. Susan was the latest to become ALL vamp, thus she was the youngest, when Harry cut her throat, the dominoes began to fall.
Well actually they do count. Sort off. Their vampire part is killed by the curse so that must be somewhere in the mechanism.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2020, 10:47:01 PM »
Well actually they do count. Sort off. Their vampire part is killed by the curse so that must be somewhere in the mechanism.

Yeah, they count in the dominoes falling, the genetic material or what ever it was the Red Vamps passed on died.  But they didn't count as vampires till they became vampires.  It is kind of like caterpillars and butterflies..  Killing the caterpillar or a cocoon is killing a butterfly, but not at the moment you do it.. Once the butterfly emerges, even if it's wings aren't dry yet, is now a butterfly and that is what you are killing.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2020, 11:43:50 PM »
JB was clear that the Reds, unless somewhere the curse couldn't touch them, were gone, and the half-ramps were de-halved, with those who would still be alive as mortals surviving. Instead of arguing that the author is wrong given an interpretation, maybe look for the interpretation that matches the author's statement on the matter.
I don't recall that WoJ. I do recall him saying they're "effectively" gone.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2020, 03:05:58 AM »
I don't recall that WoJ. I do recall him saying they're "effectively" gone.

Yup, unless I believe a couple were in the Nevernever at the time, they may have been passed over.  I think there is a WOJ for that but don't hold me to it.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2020, 03:51:38 AM »
There's definitely one about the remote reaches of the Nevernever. It was vague enough to neither confirm or deny whether the Eebs and their crew were alive.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2020, 03:37:03 PM »
There's definitely one about the remote reaches of the Nevernever. It was vague enough to neither confirm or deny whether the Eebs and their crew were alive.

Which is what I said- they'd have to be somewhere the curse couldn't touch them. His example was being in the remote reaches of the NeverNever.