Author Topic: [BG spoilers!!] After rereading PT  (Read 5593 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: [BG spoilers!!] After rereading PT
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 02:40:41 AM »
They killed someone else important to Eb. Someone that ranked higher in his thoughts than his daughter. When he mentioned that they had taken someone from him, Harry mentioned Margaret and Eb said "Her Too."

Yes, and it never was explained.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 03:08:50 AM »
I just reread and it is not awfully clear if Eb saw Murphy in the boat. She was on the wheel. Eb has to know that someone was driving (not Lara, as he saw Lara with Harry). I think he also saw Freydis. So perhaps he thought someone working for Lara was on the wheel and he chose to think it would be not a mortal. But it is not too clear, because there is a moment when Harry saw Murphy nodding to Lara and I think at that moment she was visible to Eb. That said, I am not sure. I would have liked that when Eb said "I'll sink the boat", Harry (or even Lara) would have told him "Are you sure? There are mortals inside"
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 03:20:57 AM »
I just reread and it is not awfully clear if Eb saw Murphy in the boat. She was on the wheel. Eb has to know that someone was driving (not Lara, as he saw Lara with Harry). I think he also saw Freydis. So perhaps he thought someone working for Lara was on the wheel and he chose to think it would be not a mortal. But it is not too clear, because there is a moment when Harry saw Murphy nodding to Lara and I think at that moment she was visible to Eb. That said, I am not sure. I would have liked that when Eb said "I'll sink the boat", Harry (or even Lara) would have told him "Are you sure? There are mortals inside"

However by that time Eb was so out of control I don't think it would have mattered if he was told or not.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2020, 03:53:03 AM »
Probably. Perhaps he would have said "I would rescue the humans from the lake after sinking the boat" or something. But I think his reaction would have been interesting to see.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2020, 04:13:15 AM »
His wife, a parent, a sibling, even another children. What if Margaret LeFay had a sibling who was killed by them in their childhood?
Or maybe it was Eb's firstborn before Margaret was born and that's part of the wedge between them. He never told her about it, so she didn't understand why he was so cautious about everything.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2020, 04:16:16 AM »
Yes, one I said a sibling I did not imply "a little one". In fact, I imagined a child born before Margaret and born before she was born.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2020, 04:20:06 AM »
When you used their to mean third person singular of indeterminate gender, I assumed you meant their in third person plural. As in Margaret and the theoretical sibling.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2020, 04:24:55 AM »
You are right, I was not clear. It could have been a child younger than Margaret too, but my first idea was the same as yours.
Missing you, Md 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2020, 04:41:56 AM »
Does anybody but me see that this fight with Eb and the doppelganger getting killed by Eb accidentally pulling the trigger on his spell as foreshadowing what Rudolph does to Murphy?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2020, 04:53:28 AM »
Um...well...I don't know abpout "anybody" but I do not.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2020, 05:05:32 AM »
Iris not just that. We have seen his reaction to the svartalves. To Kincaid. To basically everything that is not completely human.

Their feelings and opinions don’t matter. They will all hurt you because that is their nature. Better just to intimidate them because that is the only thing they understand.

Not completely untrue in most cases but it is that party line that believes killing anything not human is not a crime.

That mentality is probably widespread within the council and he has it strongly. They feel superior to anything else. See how he reacted to hearing Thomas was his grandson. See how he described duty as a trap. He might not even consider that Winter has a serious duty in defending the gates.

It is a mentality that brings you far and will be confirmed a lot of times but it will also make you blind for some things sometimes.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2020, 05:55:33 AM »
You are right about that, but it seems with the whampires is worse.
Missing you, Md 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2020, 08:10:42 AM »
Well, here's what struck me.
mean. If the fake me had been me me, I would now be dead me. He didn’t mean to do it. But it happened. And he’s not who I thought he was. He was out of control.”

Butcher, Jim. Peace Talks (Dresden Files) (p. 309). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Which sums up Murphy's death. 

On this other thing there isn't enough backstory. Eb's a one man death squad.  He kills those who he thinks need killing.  But when you wrestle in mud you get muddy and when you're a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2020, 10:55:33 AM »
Well, here's what struck me.Which sums up Murphy's death. 

On this other thing there isn't enough backstory. Eb's a one man death squad.  He kills those who he thinks need killing.  But when you wrestle in mud you get muddy and when you're a hammer everything looks like a nail.

You sometimes miss and smash your thumb? :o

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2020, 07:34:40 PM »
You are right, I was not clear.
Language is not clear. It's a common enough usage.

Does anybody but me see that this fight with Eb and the doppelganger getting killed by Eb accidentally pulling the trigger on his spell as foreshadowing what Rudolph does to Murphy?
I do now that you pointed it out. Or at least I can see the argument for it.