Poll

Who would you like to see Harry married to?

Mab
4 (12.1%)
Molly
7 (21.2%)
Lara
8 (24.2%)
Elaine
4 (12.1%)
Sarrisa
0 (0%)
Nobody He's got the Kirk Curse
10 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: October 17, 2020, 01:25:08 AM

Author Topic: Who should Harry marry  (Read 18137 times)

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Who should Harry marry
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2020, 02:16:47 AM »
@Doughnut Despot

Point 1. - Not the breakdown she would be concerned with. Winter's image to the Accorded Nations because of the Lara/Harry pantomime, YES. Hence the marriage. She couldn't care less about Harry's feelings towards Murphy death.

Point 2. - Even Harry has poo poo this, Mab does NOT think this way.

Point 3. - Mab is always planning and none of it is going to involve caring about anybody's feelings, least of all two of her vassals who should get over it and do their jobs. A Harry/Lara pairing is indeed strong in more that "a bodyguard for Harry" way. BTW - A bodyguard for her bodyguard? Mab? Probably not.

Point 4. - Molly said that Sarissa showed Mab Frozen and it seems very unlikely that a political marriage (the norm in Mab's day) came from a Disney movie. Also remember Mab's feelings towards Disney, I'm more amazed that Mab actually watched the movie in the first place.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2020, 03:49:42 AM »
2. She is POed about how the Council has treated her knight, who is *hers* and is likely lashing out at them also.

Between Harry throwing up a shield (before Eb could) and sweeping Mab behind him in a protected position and then summing some 250,000 wild Fae (something almost never heard of) the leaders of which are all decked out in shiny Fae plate, banging their chest plates, ringing like little bells. She couldn't have orchestrated the Council throwing Harry out any better. She wants a wedge driven between Harry and this potential support group as much as possible. The Council has far dirtier hands in Harry's life then he knows about which is why Mab made the comment to Eb. She's not POed at the Council, she just scored several points against them.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2020, 04:00:54 AM »
Between Harry throwing up a shield (before Eb could) and sweeping Mab behind him in a protected position and then summing some 250,000 wild Fae (something almost never heard of) the leaders of which are all decked out in shiny Fae plate, banging their chest plates, ringing like little bells. She couldn't have orchestrated the Council throwing Harry out any better. She wants a wedge driven between Harry and this potential support group as much as possible. The Council has far dirtier hands in Harry's life then he knows about which is why Mab made the comment to Eb. She's not POed at the Council, she just scored several points against them.

Agreed, though I might add, Eb (while working for the WC) actually does have Harry's well being in mind. He just also is working in WC bs. Mab is not the boss Harry should have to work for, it's just the only one he can work with because he knows where she stands.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2020, 01:41:12 PM »
Agreed, though I might add, Eb (while working for the WC) actually does have Harry's well being in mind. He just also is working in WC bs. Mab is not the boss Harry should have to work for, it's just the only one he can work with because he knows where she stands.

Does he or is he just covering his own backside

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2020, 02:00:47 PM »
Does he or is he just covering his own backside
I think Eb is conflicted by a lot of things, his sense of guilt about his daughter and Harry is his grandson, verses the Council's goals that he has been part of for a couple centuries or so. 

He has benefited also from angles the Council has maneuvered before.  Yes, there is no doubt now
that the Blackstaff is Mother Winter's walking stick, her silhouette appeared transposed on Eb when he went full out with it.  How much you want to be that the Council was behind it's theft in the first place?  They wanted the Eye, if Harry had just come forward and handed it to them, he'd still be a member I think. 

I don't think Harry needs to marry, he has a daughter, a dog, and a cat, he isn't ever going to be lonely.

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • GURPS: Red Sky (Dresden Files RPG)
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2020, 03:06:31 PM »
Technically, he has two daughters ... but loneliness has nothing to do with an arranged marriage. :)
"My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity."

Offline Doughnut Despot

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2020, 03:27:11 PM »
@Doughnut Despot

Point 1. - Not the breakdown she would be concerned with. Winter's image to the Accorded Nations because of the Lara/Harry pantomime, YES. Hence the marriage. She couldn't care less about Harry's feelings towards Murphy death.

Point 2. - Even Harry has poo poo this, Mab does NOT think this way.

Point 3. - Mab is always planning and none of it is going to involve caring about anybody's feelings, least of all two of her vassals who should get over it and do their jobs. A Harry/Lara pairing is indeed strong in more that "a bodyguard for Harry" way. BTW - A bodyguard for her bodyguard? Mab? Probably not.

Point 4. - Molly said that Sarissa showed Mab Frozen and it seems very unlikely that a political marriage (the norm in Mab's day) came from a Disney movie. Also remember Mab's feelings towards Disney, I'm more amazed that Mab actually watched the movie in the first place.

1. But remember, she was proud Harry had not given into the Winter Mantle like the last Knight she had to replace. And then Karen dies and he does give in to it. I think Mab has a vested interest in keeping Harry mentally and emotionally stable. Not because she necessarily feels about it, but because it's practical for her to care about her knight being effective.

2. Harry is an unreliable narrator who has done a 180 on his views before, and his grown and understanding about the world have already changed dramatically. Look how upset Mab gets when he crosses her will. She is concerned about the Winter/White Court relationship, so the Council continuing to rebuff her probably DOES PO her. IMO she wants everything she can get connected to Winter.

3. I think it's been established the fairy get some precognition as to when trouble is coming down the pipe. Mab is a schemer, so I see this as part of an upcoming scheme in which it's important to her agenda. And not just at the political level. I certainly get the impression she's planning more than meets the eye here.

4. Agreed, but I can see her thinking that Frozen is how mortals think about romance, which is just...so freaking wrong.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2020, 03:42:56 PM »
Technically, he has two daughters ... but loneliness has nothing to do with an arranged marriage. :)

Who is Eb's other daughter?  Two great grand daughters, but only one daughter as far as I know.

In an arranged marriage, no, but marriage for the sake of being married? Loneliness is a factor.

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • GURPS: Red Sky (Dresden Files RPG)
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2020, 03:49:07 PM »
Who is Eb's other daughter?  Two great grand daughters, but only one daughter as far as I know.
Eb? We were talking about Harry. You said "I don't think Harry needs to marry, he has a daughter, a dog, and a cat, he isn't ever going to be lonely." - Harry has two daughters, Maggie (who is awesome because she eats her fries with mustard like me!) and Bonnie...
In an arranged marriage, no, but marriage for the sake of being married? Loneliness is a factor.
But ... the upcoming Harry/Lara thing is an arranged marriage, so I'm not sure how that factors in?
"My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity."

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2020, 03:51:37 PM »

Sorry, we were also talking about Eb, but you are right Harry has two daughters.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2020, 04:42:31 PM »
1. But remember, she was proud Harry had not given into the Winter Mantle like the last Knight she had to replace. And then Karen dies and he does give in to it. I think Mab has a vested interest in keeping Harry mentally and emotionally stable. Not because she necessarily feels about it, but because it's practical for her to care about her knight being effective.

2. Harry is an unreliable narrator who has done a 180 on his views before, and his grown and understanding about the world have already changed dramatically. Look how upset Mab gets when he crosses her will. She is concerned about the Winter/White Court relationship, so the Council continuing to rebuff her probably DOES PO her. IMO she wants everything she can get connected to Winter.

3. I think it's been established the fairy get some precognition as to when trouble is coming down the pipe. Mab is a schemer, so I see this as part of an upcoming scheme in which it's important to her agenda. And not just at the political level. I certainly get the impression she's planning more than meets the eye here.

4. Agreed, but I can see her thinking that Frozen is how mortals think about romance, which is just...so freaking wrong.

1. Mab has feelings of her own, this isn't really the discussion. Seems that she is then more concerned about how she can use these emotions to further her plans, remember their conversation about the Za guard.

2. Agreed! Harry is an unreliable narrator who frequently flip flops on things.

3. Completely agree!

4. LOL  8)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 03:18:37 AM by StrayDog »

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2020, 05:35:42 PM »
Thing is, Jim was going to have a line about Frozen in the book but his beta readers told him the movie hadn't come out yet for when the time period of this book is.

Offline flying peach

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2020, 02:13:01 AM »
Your right, Molly does deserve better than to be stuck in Winter not able to be with the man she loves. That's why a relationship between Harry and Molly will start to happen soon and love that blossoms between them will break her free. ;D

"The hottest romance began in the coldest of places"....should be a byline for a bodice ripper authored by Bob.

I'm also on Team Molly.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2020, 02:04:02 PM »
"The hottest romance began in the coldest of places"....should be a byline for a bodice ripper authored by Bob.

I'm also on Team Molly.

Welcome to the club. We meet every 6th Saturday of the month.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2020, 03:20:49 AM »
Welcome to the club. We meet every 6th Saturday of the month.

All Y'all say it with me, Molly deserves better! ;P