Author Topic: Maggie the Younger  (Read 4572 times)

Offline spiritofair

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Maggie the Younger
« on: October 10, 2020, 12:47:23 AM »
At the very end of Battle Ground, Harry describes Maggie as hugging him with uncommon strength. At the beginning of Christmas Story, Maggie's favorite color is red.

Harry and Susan conceived of Maggie whoe Susan was infected by the Red Court's demon or whatever you want to call it. Maggie is Susan's daughter. We don't know. As far as I can tell, if red court vampirism is transmissable by birth. If so, Maggie should have died when Susan did.

But those two lines from the end of Battle Ground and beginning of Christmas Story sure do seem to foreshadow Maggie having some Red blood in her. Maybe she didn't die because she also has Starborn blood in her.

I mean, wouldn't it be strange if Maggie was a normal wizard (even weirder if due was a normal human) considering her parents???

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie the Younger
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 03:28:43 AM »
IIRC, the CI spell was towards the sides and upstream, what means that killing Susan won't kill Maggie by the spell itself. Then, if you consider the vampires themselves, Susan was the newest vampire so, worst case scenario (Maggie being infected, like Susan before her complete transformation), the vampire part would have done at the moment, leaving only a human girl. That was what happened with the other infected people.

Still, I admit that the two things you highlight seem to be hinting something. I just don't know what.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 04:01:53 AM »

Children can hug you very hard, even if it weren't all that hard, a parent might describe it as such.
  Now Susan was half turned when Maggie was conceived and born, however even if she was infected though the placenta and was in effect a vampire or part vampire, that aspect of her would have died when Harry reversed that spell.  The vampire part of the half turned simply died, and they became full human once more.  So at this moment I'd say that little Maggie is all human.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 05:15:29 AM »
The fact that My Shadow (and whomever sent him) was apparently 'interested in her future' is kinda telling.

While I don't think she was a Red Infected like Susan, being born to a half-ramp almost has to have done something to her.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 05:27:32 AM »
She most probably has the wizard talent. Even Uriel talked about it when he said foo dogs have a long life span, long enough to stay with Maggie her whole life if She is a wizard.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 12:00:18 PM by Arjan »
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • GURPS: Red Sky (Dresden Files RPG)
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 05:35:07 AM »
I seem to recall Jim saying somewhere that Maggie was born of a half-turned Red Court vamp and a wizard, and that it would be weird if there wasn't something interesting/weird about her ... but naturally, I can't find that quote now.
"My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity."

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 11:58:17 AM »
I seem to recall Jim saying somewhere that Maggie was born of a half-turned Red Court vamp and a wizard, and that it would be weird if there wasn't something interesting/weird about her ... but naturally, I can't find that quote now.

Yeah, well, we have hints from the Zoo short story that she has talent.  Isn't she supposed to go to
a school that is sort of like Hogwarts at some point according to Jim?

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 12:51:30 PM »
I would be more concerned with what the Leansidhe extracted as a promise from Margaret. If it was her first female issue, that would be Maggie. WOJ has that Lea did extract a promise and if it something like this, when Harry finds out he is going to want to kill Lea.

Another WOJ has it that Maggie will have magic, but not as we expect.

My guess? Lea has been looking for a successor and Maggie is her pick. She has form as this is exactly what she did with Margaret (Molly) Carpenter, and it may not be in anticipation of her death, but Mab’s that Lea is a backup to prevent Molly assuming the Winter Queens Mantle prematurely. The “Kill Molly” instruction in Battleground firmed that up in my mind, with Lara groomed as a backup, backup. Experience is required in the Winter Queen with the BAT coming and both Lea and Lara would make a much better Winter Queen than Molly for at least the next decade.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 02:44:18 PM »
I would be more concerned with what the Leansidhe extracted as a promise from Margaret. If it was her first female issue, that would be Maggie. WOJ has that Lea did extract a promise and if it something like this, when Harry finds out he is going to want to kill Lea.

Another WOJ has it that Maggie will have magic, but not as we expect.

My guess? Lea has been looking for a successor and Maggie is her pick. She has form as this is exactly what she did with Margaret (Molly) Carpenter, and it may not be in anticipation of her death, but Mab’s that Lea is a backup to prevent Molly assuming the Winter Queens Mantle prematurely. The “Kill Molly” instruction in Battleground firmed that up in my mind, with Lara groomed as a backup, backup. Experience is required in the Winter Queen with the BAT coming and both Lea and Lara would make a much better Winter Queen than Molly for at least the next decade.

Perhaps, but Molly/Harry have shown that they can be a pretty formidable team, and I got the sense that Molly is going to try and do her best to get him out of that wedding.   

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 04:56:16 PM »
The curse in Changes wouldn't have effected Maggie. That's why it was important that she was the youngest ramp.

I remember him saying implying that Susan being half turned would affect Maggie in some way. As is often the case, iirc, he didn't outright state it.

with Lara groomed as a backup, backup.
Mab is planning on having Lara marry the Winter Knight. The Winter Knight has been described as consort to the Queens.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 05:23:33 PM »
The curse in Changes wouldn't have effected Maggie. That's why it was important that she was the youngest ramp.

But she wasn't, Susan was.  All the Red Court vamps descend from the Red King, so when she was turned, Susan was the youngest, when Harry killed her, it killed all the Red Court Vamp genes up the line, those who were part turned more or less, it killed the Red Court part, if they were young enough and healthy enough, their now fully human lives moved on.  Even if little Maggie was part vamp, that part would have died, and she is now fully human.  Yes, as she learns about what happened to her mother and her father's part in her death it is going to affect her, but not because there is some lingering Red Court Vamp in her body.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »
My WAG is that Maggie is set up to marry a dragon.

It was supposed to be Charity but she rejected her magic and went with Michael. Then it would have been Molly. I think that was the other purpose Mab was grooming her for mentioned in CD. Now that will fall on Maggie, Probably in the next to last book before the BAT, there's time for the the Dresdenverse to advance six to 8 years and make her a teen bride. Charity had to be pretty young, 20-21 at most, whrn Siriothrax carried he off.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 04:55:22 AM »
But she wasn't, Susan was.
Sorry. Unclear antecedent. By she I meant Susan, not Maggie.

Even if little Maggie was part vamp, that part would have died.
I'm not so sure about that. My question is how. Were there any "half-turned" younger than Susan? Was someone turned after GP who resisted until Changes? If so, would the curse affect them as they were younger than Susan? Susan was the youngest full vamp. She wasn't necessarily the youngest half-turned.

We could end up with more ramps because there were younger half-turned. There wouldn't have been many. Justine didn't know such a thing existed in GP. I imagine they're rare.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 11:51:47 AM »
I'm not so sure about that. My question is how. Were there any "half-turned" younger than Susan? Was someone turned after GP who resisted until Changes? If so, would the curse affect them as they were younger than Susan? Susan was the youngest full vamp. She wasn't necessarily the youngest half-turned.

Timing is everything, not saying it is impossible and some other half turned decided to rip someone's throat out in anger a second after Susan and be the youngest, or somehow became half turned..  But if that happened, the curse reversal just wouldn't have happened.  The moment she became full, Susan was the newest, thus the youngest, Harry killed her seconds after and the whole Red Court line from her to the Red King died.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 12:44:49 PM »
Timing is everything, not saying it is impossible and some other half turned decided to rip someone's throat out in anger a second after Susan and be the youngest, or somehow became half turned..  But if that happened, the curse reversal just wouldn't have happened.  The moment she became full, Susan was the newest, thus the youngest, Harry killed her seconds after and the whole Red Court line from her to the Red King died.
It might have skipped that newest one but the rest would be toast anyway.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]