Author Topic: Money [BG Spoilers]  (Read 9263 times)

Offline Eleyctra

• Posty McPostington
  • A humble artist
    • View Profile
Re: Money [BG Spoilers]
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2020, 02:28:39 AM »
He needs to get an investment adviser.

Toot advises to invest heavily in pizza futures.
Maybe he'll get lucky and the events of BG will have made property values in Chicago plummet.

Becoming a franchise owner of pizza restaurants in a city with property values that plummet after a major attack would be the smartest move in investment on Harry's part. The wild Fae would agree. Then he truly would be The 'Za Lord.
The written word stands between memory & oblivion.Without books as our anchors,we're cast adrift,neither teaching nor learning.They're windows on the past,mirrors on the present,& prisms reflecting possible futures.Books are lighthouses erected in the dark sea of time.
Jeffery Robbins-Gargoyles S2E4

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2020, 03:07:58 AM »
Just a few thoughts on Castle Dresden:

(1)  I don't think Harry will lack for the money to build out Castle Dresden and a limited budget can go a long way.  He has the services of the only honest contractor in the State of Illinois.

(2)  The City of Chicago would have to be able to find the castle in order to put a tax lien on it.  I see no reason that it can't be veiled by confusion/avoidance wards to prevent service of process.

(3)  Lara's dowry ought to cover quite a few supplies and renovations.  Mab is old fashioned enough to include this in the price if the wedding actually happens.

(4)  Pizza delivery guys go EVERYWHERE and no one really pays attention to them.  Just saying. 

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2020, 01:14:02 PM »
Becoming a franchise owner of pizza restaurants in a city with property values that plummet after a major attack would be the smartest move in investment on Harry's part. The wild Fae would agree. Then he truly would be The 'Za Lord.

I could see Harry becoming owner of Pizza S’Press, it is a local chain (anyone else hear of it in their hometown, no) and there is a line to extent in BG and Toot has already adopted the livery and logo of the firm. The livery was provided by Winter, I doubt Mab would be happy to use someone else’s sigil in relation to warriors of winter as that could be used against them, so she probably owns the IP and therefore the chain. We know Winter is loaded.

Can’t think of a better wedding present for Harry from Mab especially given Harry explains to Mab in BG the neuromancy involved in binding the Little Folk. She would see it as a smart move consolidating the Winter Knights Power over the Little Folk, given how useful they were.

This would make Toot very, very happy. lacuna not so much, and would give Harry a source of both income and pizza. He was worried how he was going to afford all the pizza and wanted to bill Marcone.

One thinks of dowries, but a wedding is also for gifts for the happy couple.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2020, 02:05:53 PM »
Any dowry would only be Lara giving a gift to Lara. She controls Lord Raith after all. On several occasions we see that Lara has complete control of the entire Raith holdings.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2020, 02:35:19 PM »
Yeah, but he'd run the risk of his profits literally being eaten up.. ::)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »
It is not a risk if it is a certainty.   :)
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2020, 02:58:35 PM »
It is not a risk if it is a certainty.   :)

Not only that but I bet Toot will have to join Weight Watchers. :o

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2020, 03:35:51 PM »
Not only that but I bet Toot will have to join Weight Watchers. :o
Or he gets even more followers. All the little folk everywhere on earth will go to Chicago.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • GURPS: Red Sky (Dresden Files RPG)
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2020, 04:00:54 PM »
Any dowry would only be Lara giving a gift to Lara. She controls Lord Raith after all. On several occasions we see that Lara has complete control of the entire Raith holdings.
Yeah, but old man Raith is still sort of there and I like the idea that he's impotently screaming his rage when she makes him give Dresden something he (Raith) considered important or valuable ... like maybe the portrait of Harry's mom.
"My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity."

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2020, 10:24:31 PM »
but think about how much more the little folk would be bound to him, they'd owe him for the pizza. That might be a fair trade of the profits..

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2020, 11:23:13 PM »
Harry currently has to buy a lot of Pizza, if he cuts out the middleman, he saves money, and he can recoup what he is paying out by having the Little Folk deliver flyers. As stated it ensures the loyalty of the Little folk

The Little Folk will gladly spread the word, if that word is Pizza.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2020, 11:52:15 PM »
Harry currently has to buy a lot of Pizza, if he cuts out the middleman, he saves money, and he can recoup what he is paying out by having the Little Folk deliver flyers. As stated it ensures the loyalty of the Little folk

The Little Folk will gladly spread the word, if that word is Pizza.

Yes and no, because Toot insists on the top ingredients and they do not come cheap.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2020, 01:44:34 AM »
He doesn’t need to, he can supply the Little Folk at cost, at the moment he is paying the pie house a slice a profit with each pizza. If the number of pizza’s are constant, elimination of the profit element brings down the overall cost to Harry . He is still charging his mortal customers the same so is getting an income that way.

Just don’t let Toot do the accounts.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2020, 10:02:18 PM »
IIRC, Jim stated that Harry has about 2mil of diamonds and I doubt he would want to ask Mab or Molly for more a loan.  Those interest rates have to bite big time.
Two million is one tenth of the $20 million that Nicodemus said they could easily get. The diamonds were split 5 ways, and then Harry split his 1/5th with Murphy. That's an annoying amount because it should be way higher. Like 5 to 20 times higher. I think we've all seen/been party to the conversations about how much the diamonds should be worth. Here's Priscilla's math on how much the diamonds would be worth. https://www.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/comments/273l6q/skin_game_spoilers_money/chxf3vf/. I tend to agree with her. Now, you would still have a limited, but large, budget because you probably can't just sell all the diamonds at once, especially when you consider that there are four other sellers out there unloading these diamonds. Five if Murphy's share doesn't end up back in Harry's hands.

Jim also said the reason for the diamonds was to move Harry past having money problems and into the mo' problems mo' money brings.

But Harry is a knight now and marriage to a rich heiress is the traditional way for impoverished nobility to improve their financial position. ;D
:)

In had a friend who described owning a house a bit like owning a whore..   ::)
Was it a rent house? Because I get that analogy.

And he's not rolling in income either.
This. He doesn't have a job anymore.

Maybe he'll get lucky and the events of BG will have made property values in Chicago plummet.
They would make the average value plummet, but the value of an intact and fortified residence would probably skyrocket. I'm not sure if they take actual value into account for tax roll appraisals.

But renovating a castle has to be insanely expensive. How many people do you know who have experience building, maintaining, or repairing a castle? I'd expect that alone to make it expensive. The materials aren't going to be cheap either. Granted, Harry only has to fix the roof/ceiling in a single room, but maintenance is also going to be expensive. I've seen estimates ranging from 1 to 5 percent of the market price of the castle.

Harry might be able charge a fortune to people who wanted to rent a room from him. The castle's going to be really safe. It's coming and going that would put residents in danger.

This all would be a lot easier to figure out if we knew how big the castle is.

Offline ElJefe81

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2020, 10:11:13 PM »
But renovating a castle has to be insanely expensive. How many people do you know who have experience building, maintaining, or repairing a castle? I'd expect that alone to make it expensive. The materials aren't going to be cheap either. Granted, Harry only has to fix the roof/ceiling in a single room, but maintenance is also going to be expensive. I've seen estimates ranging from 1 to 5 percent of the market price of the castle.

I feel like the answer here is Svartelves.  They'd know how to fortify it/rebuild it.  It seems like they don't know that Harry broke Thomas out (or that Thomas was even broken out), so you'd get the added bonus of Harry feeling guilty/awkward as they did the work and expressed gratitude for his role in saving the city.