Author Topic: Backcourt vampires WAG [spoilers all incl BG]  (Read 6136 times)

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Backcourt vampires WAG [spoilers all incl BG]
« on: October 08, 2020, 11:34:38 PM »
Blampire WAG.

Drakul first created them by using necromancy combined with soulfire. My WAG is the reason Garlic is Blampire kryptonite is because He or his son were allergic to garlic and in using soulfire he accidentally transferred that weakness to his progenies.

Another spitball idea - a steak through the heat kills them because instead of a drum beat, soulfire has been used to fake a heartbeat that perpetually keeps the dead vampires running instead of a drummer. Steak through the heart is like stopping  the drumming in necromancy and will stop them dead in their tracks.   They need to keep topping up on human life to refill the battery to keep it ticking over.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Backcourt vampires WAG [spoilers all incl BG]
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 02:57:42 AM »
Blampire WAG.

Drakul first created them by using necromancy combined with soulfire. My WAG is the reason Garlic is Blampire kryptonite is because He or his son were allergic to garlic and in using soulfire he accidentally transferred that weakness to his progenies.

Another spitball idea - a steak through the heat kills them because instead of a drum beat, soulfire has been used to fake a heartbeat that perpetually keeps the dead vampires running instead of a drummer. Steak through the heart is like stopping  the drumming in necromancy and will stop them dead in their tracks.   They need to keep topping up on human life to refill the battery to keep it ticking over.

Who gave him the soul fire?

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 03:23:18 AM »
Does it have to be "gifted" . I assumed magic using mortals had the capability to use it, but some just need a push. I mean it runs of their own soul.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 03:34:04 AM »
Does it have to be "gifted" . I assumed magic using mortals had the capability to use it, but some just need a push. I mean it runs of their own soul.

Have to go back and reread Small Favor, but the way I read the way Uriel explained it, it is gifted.
It is a gift not given lightly, it was given to Harry because he threw off Lasciel's shadow, and so he could balance Hell Fire.  It just doesn't seem like something that would be gifted to Drakul.  However Hell Fire could very well have been gifted to him to be used in much the same way as Soul Fire.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 05:00:17 AM »
Blampire WAG.

Drakul first created them by using necromancy combined with soulfire.

IIRC Dracula created himself as the first Blampire, I don't think Drakul actually created them. Dracula, being a scion with mortal Free Will, could have been gifted Soulfire.

Now he is commanding them in BG, but maybe he just kind of "reverse inherited" command over them when Dracula was killed in the Stokerlypse.

Although... I wonder if the soulfire/necromancy thing was actually ghouls, not Blampires. There doesn't seem to be anything "soul" like about Blampires, they're just animated corpses. Ghouls are actually alive.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 05:31:37 AM »
[1]IIRC Dracula created himself as the first Blampire, I don't think Drakul actually created them. Dracula, being a scion with mortal Free Will, could have been gifted Soulfire.

[2]Now he is commanding them in BG, but maybe he just kind of "reverse inherited" command over them when Dracula was killed in the Stokerlypse.
1) Jim's kinda waffled on the who and when of the Black Court's creation and it's relation to Dracula and Drakul.

2) It's just regular inheriting in an irregular direction. Unmarried childless people's heirs are generally parents, if their parents outlive them. Reverse inheriting would be loosing property by virtue of someone's death. I have now wandered way off the point.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 03:39:10 PM »

Gifted. Per WoJ, only about 6 wizards have ever been granted it.

It's the angelic analog to Hellfire.

Uriel is explicit about having gifted it to Harry.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 04:25:30 PM »
So is the assumption that Drakul was always bad and wouldn't have been worthy of receiving Soulfire from a Sponsor? 

Because let's remember that the historical Drakul (Vlad II Dracul) was a first-class member of the Order of the Dragon, a chivalric order that supported the Holy Roman Empire.  He swore to defend it, and their code was "in company with the prelates, barons, and magnates of our kingdom, whom we invite to participate with us in this party, by reason of the sign and effigy of our pure inclination and intention to crush the pernicious deeds of the same perfidious Enemy, and of the followers of the ancient Dragon, and (as one would expect) of the pagan knights, schismatics, and other nations of the Orthodox faith, and those envious of the Cross of Christ, and of our kingdoms, and of his holy and saving religion of faith, under the banner of the triumphant Cross of Christ."

Just how devout or useful Vlad II was to the preservation of the Church is questionable, but he was a warrior king that fought against other nations and religions. 

Who's to say that he wasn't given power as a Starborn, but he went down a dark path after that and became something else?

Offline spiritofair

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 04:41:27 PM »
Hasn't Jim said that Drakul was a scion, i.e. the child of something monstrous and a human? How does that relate to him being Starborn? Does it mean that maybe his parents were actually both human, but the conditions of his birth allowed him to be Starborn and somehow there be a "third" parent? If so, then I wonder who or what that third is.

And, how does this relate to Harry? Perhaps that third parent is an Outsider... which would explain how and why Harry has the ability to resist and hurt outsiders. And why the White Council is so scared of him. He was called a "Destroyer" by Donald Morgan. The White Council knows he is Starborn. They know what Drakul is and how he is evil (maybe Drakul did start off as good, but turned evil), and they are terrified of Harry doing the same.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2020, 04:55:51 PM »
Yet LTW knows it when he sees it, which supports my theory that Martha Liberty (who has never seen Harry use it, due to Checkov’s broken leg) also has access to soulfire, he saw her use it in her role as a Voodoo Priestess. Eb, Christos and Carlos has seen him use it, unlikely that Carlos knew what it was especially as it was mixed with Winter power, and Christos is dead, so did Eb recognise it?

Most members of the White Council have little or no use for organised religion, so the chances of one getting granted Soulfire are slim, especially if a large number of them are jerks (though that didn’t stop Harry). Too many pursue power for powers sake, which disqualifies them, and they have to cross the Fallen, and most are too cowardly.

Vlad Dracul doesn’t seem a candidate for soulfire or being a wizard, and WOJ has it that he is something else forced into a human body. He was a member of the Order of the dragon, so could that be it? A Dragon or even a dragon forced into a human body and stuck that way? Drakul is Modern Romanian for Devil. Could Dracul have been a meat puppet for either Lucifer or another of the Fallen (not Denarians)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 06:21:36 PM »
Yet LTW knows it when he sees it, which supports my theory that Martha Liberty (who has never seen Harry use it, due to Checkov’s broken leg) also has access to soulfire, he saw her use it in her role as a Voodoo Priestess. Eb, Christos and Carlos has seen him use it, unlikely that Carlos knew what it was especially as it was mixed with Winter power, and Christos is dead, so did Eb recognise it?

Most members of the White Council have little or no use for organised religion, so the chances of one getting granted Soulfire are slim, especially if a large number of them are jerks (though that didn’t stop Harry). Too many pursue power for powers sake, which disqualifies them, and they have to cross the Fallen, and most are too cowardly.

Vlad Dracul doesn’t seem a candidate for soulfire or being a wizard, and WOJ has it that he is something else forced into a human body. He was a member of the Order of the dragon, so could that be it? A Dragon or even a dragon forced into a human body and stuck that way? Drakul is Modern Romanian for Devil. Could Dracul have been a meat puppet for either Lucifer or another of the Fallen (not Denarians)
Wouldn't "modern Romanian" be post-Dracul/Dracula, and therefore influenced by the individuals?  The origin for Dracul is Dragon, from the Order of the Dragon, which revolved around the story of St. George and the Dragon. 

Real world-wise, there's not much reason for the order to have adopted the Dragon as its symbol, as the Dragon was killed by St. George after it demanded sacrifices.  Interestingly, their symbol was the Dragon with its own tail wrapped around its neck, almost as if it were tamed by itself.  Perhaps their symbolism was to turn that which had been evil to good?

Dresdenverse-wise, it'd be interesting if the Order of the Dragon was tied to doing just that. Imbuing someone with the power of the slain Dragon in order to let them wield it in a cause for good.  Vlad II could have become their chosen host for the power, which is why he got the moniker.  Maybe he was a Starborn and they thought he could control it, only things went... badly.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 08:41:00 PM »
Dresdenverse-wise, it'd be interesting if the Order of the Dragon was tied to doing just that. Imbuing someone with the power of the slain Dragon in order to let them wield it in a cause for good.  Vlad II could have become their chosen host for the power, which is why he got the moniker.  Maybe he was a Starborn and they thought he could control it, only things went... badly.

In think more often than not, it does go badly, there is a reason why Jim decided to go with the 666 years between births.  And that is why the choice of Malcolm for Harry's father is so significant in this whole process.  And why Harry is told over and over again he has a good heart like his father. I don't think he is being told this just to be saying something nice about him.  It is what sets him apart from and keeps him from becoming a monster like Drakul and Listen.  It's the bit that the White Council doesn't get.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2020, 09:52:59 PM »
In think more often than not, it does go badly, there is a reason why Jim decided to go with the 666 years between births.  And that is why the choice of Malcolm for Harry's father is so significant in this whole process.  And why Harry is told over and over again he has a good heart like his father. I don't think he is being told this just to be saying something nice about him.  It is what sets him apart from and keeps him from becoming a monster like Drakul and Listen.  It's the bit that the White Council doesn't get.
One good point you make is that if Harry was born in 1975, give or take a few years, then the last Starborn alignment would have been 1306, give or take a few years.

Vlad II was born real-world in "before 1395". Open-ended, sure, but his father was born 1355. So the Starborn alignment date was fudged, or the Dresdenverse Vlad II wasn't the son of Mircea I. 

So maybe it opens the door for him to being the son of someone... Something... else.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 12:30:17 AM »
Did Papa Raith sire a male Starborn Whampire?

Did Kemmler unsuccessfully try to take over this Whampire using Necromancy creating Dracul?

Did Papa Raith try to wipe out Dracul and his horde using Stoker's book?

Are the Blampires now trying to convert all of the Whampires to Blampires using Necromancy?

Is Lara hoping to compel Harry to help defeat these Blampires?

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 08:15:55 AM »
Gifted. Per WoJ, only about 6 wizards have ever been granted it.

It's the angelic analog to Hellfire.

Uriel is explicit about having gifted it to Harry.
where/when was that Woj if you might know? I didn't know we'd had word on that..