Author Topic: Something that bothered me about Harry's recollection of soul gazing  (Read 2672 times)

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
Just after Murphy died, Harry commented on the fact that he was too scared to soul gaze her because everyone had a bad reaction to it. That's not true. We have had multiple encounters and some have proved otherwise.

Check my list here.

Elaine- don't know her reaction, Harry only said that they soul gaze.

EB- same as Elaine.

Susan- she fainted.

Marcone- unsure, he sized up Harry, but has always been planning to kill Harry since then.

FBI agent from FM (sorry name escapes me)- he panics and says he doesn't believe in Hell.

Michael Carpenter- knew he was a good man from it.

The Nickel head- man was crazy already, unsure what to take from it.

Thomas- hard to tell because of emotions brought up by their mother. But seems unfazed.

Molly Carpenter- had no problem with the soul gaze.

Helen Beckett- what she saw didn't bother her. But she seems to be dead inside anyway.

Lawyer lady- looked at Harry in hesident wonder since he made Madelyn retreat from her mind.

Martin- died before we got a response.

Kraken- scared of him.

Bradley- scared of him

Did I miss someone?

By this list, we have people ok with Harry after the soul gaze. Michae, and Molly confirmed. Thomas a probable.

Side note: funny that Molly is the only confirmed woman that didn't have a problem with Harry or the soul gaze. ;D
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Something that bothered me about Harry's recollection of soul gazing
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 01:27:09 AM »
And the lawyer lady.
I think that what one sees in the soulgazes changes while the person soulgazed grows up and changes. So my idea is que Harry had been specially worried since he became "consorting" with the dark side. Perhaps since he took the coin, but definitely since he is the WK. Most late reactions have been bad, but I think what Harry is really forgetting is that the strongest terrified responses are for foes.

I really, really want to know what people sees in Harry. I've been thinking who could tell him that (Eb or Marcone were my options, but I have 2 new ideas. Bradley or Ramirez if they ever soulgaze.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 01:50:11 AM »

You forgot Mrs Sells, the wife of Victor.  She was frightened not just of Harry but of Victor, Harry needed some answers.  It happened at her home, when it was done, she was no longer frightened.

Offline Direwolf513

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 06:58:22 PM »
At some point, I hope we get a description of what people see in Harry's soulgaze. If not, that'd be a big time dick move after building it up all these years. heh

Good... bad... I'm the guy with the gun. -Ash

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 09:19:46 PM »
The question is how, as the books are told in first person, and Harry is not going to soulgaze himself (well, perhaps in MM, but MM-Harry is not our Harry). So someone has to tell him (and us). So perhaps Marcone, Bradley?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 09:26:59 PM »
At some point, I hope we get a description of what people see in Harry's soulgaze. If not, that'd be a big time dick move after building it up all these years. heh

Well, we do have what the cornerhounds saw as the fought Harry, and it frightened them.  Harry saw it too, if that is what people see, yeah, I can understand their fear.  However Molly wasn't frightened, in fact she seemed more "in love," so Harry had to dump ice water on her.  Marcone wasn't frightened or intimidated, but then he is Marcone.. Mrs Sells was reassured by what she saw and was no longer frightened of him.  I also think that Mrs Beckett wasn't frightened either, but I could be wrong, need to reread that one.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 10:02:59 PM »
I assume Harry is a Hades figure- an Erlking holding the leashes on the Furies.

He is a figure of just retribution, a towering pillar of bad news for those who transgress and merit his wroth- which means the relatively innocent (Mrs Sells) would feel reassured, the sensitive (Molly) would feel for his loneliness, and the wicked would feel threatened.

And the gentle (Bradley) nauseated.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 12:28:05 AM »
Spiritofair has this to say about the BAT being in third person:

I vaguely remember reading something like this? I think one of the real limitations of Battleground was being in first person. With that many characters, it just became monotonous hearing Harry describe what was going on.

If that's the case, we could see it in there.