Author Topic: Anyone Else Surprised or Disappointed That Harry  (Read 21442 times)

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Else Surprised or Disappointed That Harry
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2020, 01:35:22 AM »
@The_Sibelis  Hope you get well soon

Does anyone remember if Ivy was at the post battle meeting? The Council wasn't but I don't remember anything about Ivy.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2020, 02:00:03 AM »
So it seems that Ivy has grown up, she has become "The Archive."  Any pain she may have felt emotionally by Harry's suicide or Kincaid's assistance, she has removed herself except for on final request/order to Kincaid, make it a chest shot [possible survival] instead of a head shot, [most likely certain death.]  Ivy knows both were her only friends, but the Archive knows she cannot have any friends.

I think that having a front row seat to her mother's suicide including feeling what she felt would have a far more dramatic effect on Ivy the Harry/Kincaid. It's far more likely that it was only after Harry's death that she found out about it. Harry had his mind wiped by Molly and pretty sure Kincaid had long since learned how to keep his thoughts private. Trust me, the whole head shot vs chest shot from over a mile away is a non-starter. Even Kincaid would never make the mistake of trying that.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2020, 02:12:51 AM »
@The_Sibelis  Hope you get well soon

Does anyone remember if Ivy was at the post battle meeting? The Council wasn't but I don't remember anything about Ivy.
She was there. She was giving an overview of the situation when Harry arrived.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2020, 02:21:58 AM »
She was there. She was giving an overview of the situation when Harry arrived.

Oh yeah, Thanks for the info!

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2020, 05:24:25 AM »
I think that having a front row seat to her mother's suicide including feeling what she felt would have a far more dramatic effect on Ivy the Harry/Kincaid. It's far more likely that it was only after Harry's death that she found out about it. Harry had his mind wiped by Molly and pretty sure Kincaid had long since learned how to keep his thoughts private. Trust me, the whole head shot vs chest shot from over a mile away is a non-starter. Even Kincaid would never make the mistake of trying that.

I don't understand what you are saying here. That Ivy did not know that her mom killed herself?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2020, 06:55:36 AM »
I don't understand what you are saying here. That Ivy did not know that her mom killed herself?
Of course she knows. She is the archive.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2020, 07:33:34 AM »
Precisely, that is why I don't know what StrayDog is saying. Unless he is talking about Ivy knowing about Kinkaid and Harry, and if that is the case, well, he clearly has not read "Goodbye".
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2020, 01:38:30 PM »
Precisely, that is why I don't know what StrayDog is saying. Unless he is talking about Ivy knowing about Kinkaid and Harry, and if that is the case, well, he clearly has not read "Goodbye".

The conversation up to now has been about Ivy knowing of Harry/Kincaid. My point is that her knowledge of her mother's suicide is far more impactful.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2020, 01:48:48 PM »
The conversation up to now has been about Ivy knowing of Harry/Kincaid. My point is that her knowledge of her mother's suicide is far more impactful.

Why?  She never knew her mother, while both Harry and Kincaid were the only two people that  acknowledged that she even was a human child.  Until she met Harry at the age of seven or so she didn't have a name other than, "the Archive."  And no, it wasn't a hard shot for Kincaid, he isn't totally human lets not forget.  His fear about doing a chest shot is Harry would live long enough to throw his death curse at him.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2020, 02:36:31 PM »
Why?  She never knew her mother, while both Harry and Kincaid were the only two people that  acknowledged that she even was a human child.  Until she met Harry at the age of seven or so she didn't have a name other than, "the Archive."  And no, it wasn't a hard shot for Kincaid, he isn't totally human lets not forget.  His fear about doing a chest shot is Harry would live long enough to throw his death curse at him.

Pretty much the only thing I agree with there is that Harry named Ivy. JB can write Kincaid so amazingly perfect of an assassin that he can prognosticate all wind currents, bird paths, etc in a mile long ballistic flight but anybody who's done shooting will scream BS. Even JB constantly talks about ballistic flight in combat, same applies.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2020, 03:59:26 PM »
Pretty much the only thing I agree with there is that Harry named Ivy. JB can write Kincaid so amazingly perfect of an assassin that he can prognosticate all wind currents, bird paths, etc in a mile long ballistic flight but anybody who's done shooting will scream BS. Even JB constantly talks about ballistic flight in combat, same applies.

Perhaps, but we don't know how far away Kincaid was when he made the shot, or what kind of rifle and scope used.  Kincaid is also a scion, which also may be a factor, he doesn't have human limitations though he appears human.  Apparently though, a good sniper can be deadly from pretty far away.  Found this about the longest distance kill.

3,540 metres
A Canadian special forces sniper has broken the world record for the longest confirmed kill shot. The soldier shot an IS militant dead from 3,540 metres, which is just over two miles away, in Iraq last month.Jun 23, 2017

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2020, 04:10:22 PM »
Hundreds of years practice I'd bet he can do it by feel. Most military snipers can and they don't have nearly the span of time to practice as he had. Heck, lee harvey oswald made three shots and had two on target(within a span of seconds) from a block away with one of the most inaccurate rifles available (the bullets were famous for tumbling I'm air) and the previous record before the above one was a little over a mile iirc.
*No scope either, he used the iron sights iirc

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • GURPS: Red Sky (Dresden Files RPG)
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2020, 04:13:23 PM »
Heck, lee harvey oswald made three shots and had two on target(within a span of seconds) from a block away with one of the most inaccurate rifles available (the bullets were famous for tumbling I'm air) and the previous record before the above one was a little over a mile iirc.
What are you talking about? That was the Comedian! :P
"My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity."

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2020, 04:30:27 PM »
Hundreds of years practice I'd bet he can do it by feel. Most military snipers can and they don't have nearly the span of time to practice as he had. Heck, lee harvey oswald made three shots and had two on target(within a span of seconds) from a block away with one of the most inaccurate rifles available (the bullets were famous for tumbling I'm air) and the previous record before the above one was a little over a mile iirc.

Aiming center mass and plenty of people will argue with you about who shot who from where, they've been doing so for over 50 years now.

@Mira
Never said Kincaid couldn't hit him, Kincaid would never have attempted to place a head shot. Maybe place high center mass but never head. Glad you Googled longest sniper kill, his first shot hit the ground and none of the soldiers noticed so didn't react. Both shots were aimed center mass.

If Ivy knew ahead of time then why didn't she just require Kincaid to guard her somewhere else? Pretty sure he can't be in two places at once but that will be argued. She chooses to have Harry mortally wounded and in Mab's hands while barely hanging on to life?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2020, 04:41:21 PM »

The Archive knew everything according to Luccio in small favor:
“Ivy doesn’t,” Luccio agreed. “Her grandmother was killed in a freak accident, an automobile crash, I believe. Her mother was a seventeen-year-old girl who was in love, and pregnant. She hated her mother for dying and cursing her to carry the Archive when she wanted to have her own life—and she hated the child for having a lifetime of freedom ahead of her. Ivy’s mother killed herself rather than carry the Archive.”

I started feeling a little sick. “And Ivy knows it.”

“She does. Knows it, feels it. She was born knowing exactly what her mother thought and felt about her.”

Just because someone is not totally human does not mean he has no feelings. It just does not always work the same way as for most humans though with humans there is also a wide variety.

But the ned to paback that favor was al important.

SH[Elaine+++]